Suggestion Abbreviations Pop Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all,

So I belong to a camping forum and they have a pretty cool feature where anything that they commonly abbreviate pops out with the meaning when you take your mouse over it and each abbreviated term is in a different color. So something like GF would be a different color and you can hover and "Gradient Factors" pops up.

I thought it was a pretty cool feature. For the bulk of the regulars it's not needed but it seems to really cut down on new people asking "what does that mean". I understand there is a section for all the abbreviations somewhere, but I've never honestly been to it.

I don't know how hard that would be to implement, I'm not sure if it's even something that makes sense for SB, but I kind of like it and just thought I would throw it out there.

So I belong to a camping forum and they have a pretty cool feature where anything that they commonly abbreviate pops out with the meaning when you take your mouse over it and each abbreviated term is in a different color.

Could you provide a link to a post on this camping site that shows this feature?

Related Comments​

ScubaBoard had a feature that automatically linked pre-programmed words years ago (before I was on staff). As I recall, it had a lot of unintended consequences.

Your can manually create a popup tooltip like the following — let your mouse pointer hover over DPV below:

The best tool for a survey like that is a DPV

Here are the instructions:

Wikipedia has a great feature but it is manually coded. A mouseover on a linked word produces this:

1651847751096.png

You can imbed links in your posts if you want to go through the trouble, but not for a popup, which would be so cool. Here is how to imbed links:

We do have ScubaBoard's Dictionary for Divers and ScubaBoard's Computing & Internet Glossary. You can imbed a link to a specific entry in these, or any other references, Example:

The best tool for a survey like that is a DPV.​

Here is how to link to a specific point in another thread:

Could you provide a link to a post on this camping site that shows this feature?

Related Comments​

ScubaBoard had a feature that automatically linked pre-programmed words years ago (before I was on staff). As I recall, it had a lot of unintended consequences.

Your can manually create a popup tooltip like the following — let your mouse pointer hover over DPV below:

The best tool for a survey like that is a DPV

Here are the instructions:

Wikipedia has a great feature but it is manually coded. A mouseover on a linked word produces this:

View attachment 721303

You can imbed links in your posts if you want to go through the trouble, but not for a popup, which would be so cool. Here is how to imbed links:

We do have ScubaBoard's Dictionary for Divers and ScubaBoard's Computing & Internet Glossary. You can imbed a link to a specific entry in these, or any other references, Example:

The best tool for a survey like that is a DPV.​

Here is how to link to a specific point in another thread:
It's PopUpPortal

If it doesn't show the feature without an account just PM me and you can use mine. I think it will though.. all the threads have the feature in them.

Thanks. They do use xenForo so they are using an add-on. Here is a link to a specific post:

I would like some of our more senior staff members to comment on why the feature was removed from ScubaBoard years ago.

Maybe it is more controllable now. Ping @The Chairman @TC @Wookie

Have you seen it add the tooltip to words when it should not? @Miyaru is our add-on guru. Maybe he could locate the add-on and check out reviews?

Thanks. They do use xenForo so they are using an add-on. Here is a link to a specific post:

I would like some of our more senior staff members to comment on why the feature was removed from ScubaBoard years ago.

Maybe it is more controllable now. Ping @The Chairman @TC @Wookie

Have you seen it add the tooltip to words when it should not? @Miyaru is our add-on guru. Maybe he could locate the add-on and check out reviews?

I spend 90% of my time on SB, very limited on PUP, but with the little bit that I have seen it works pretty well. I have seen instances where someone said TV meaning the appliance and it will pop up and say Tow Vehicle, but given the context it's pretty easy to tell which meaning they meant.

I could see someone here mentioning their gf (girlfriend) and Gradient Factors popping up, but again in the context I don't think it would confuse anyone.

I spend 90% of my time on SB, very limited on PUP, but with the little bit that I have seen it works pretty well.

I am sure that the system administrators define the acronyms and the "tooltip". There are so many acronyms in modern life that it is tricky to find something that won't cross-over into other social or technical use. Take DPV for example.

DPV Deutscher Petanque Verband (German: German Petanque Association)
DPV Diver Propulsion Vehicle
DPV Delivery Point Validation (USPS system)
DPV Directplay Voice
DPV Delivery Point Validation
DPV Delegated Path Validation
DPV Digital Photo Viewer
DPV Drill Press Vise
DPV Département de la Protection des Végétaux (French: Department of Plant Protection)
DPV Discounted Present Value (finance)
DPV Drug Profile Viewer (eHealth Ontario; Canada)
DPV Differential Pulse Voltammetry (AfterMath)
DPV Desert Patrol Vehicle
DPV Delivery Point Verification
DPV Dynamically Positioned Vessel
DPV Direct Payment Voucher
DPV Daily Production Volume (measurement; various countries)
DPV Direction de la Prospective et de la Veille Scientifique et Technique (Directorate of Forecasting and Scientific and Technical Intelligence)
DPV Dry Pipe Valve (fire sprinkler systems)
DPV Duty Paid Value (economics)
DPV Differential Pressure Valve
DPV Diesel Powered Vehicle
DPV Doppler Predict Voltage
DPV Doubs Paintball Village (Doubs, France)

The admins at PopupPortal.com were kind enough to tell me what add-on they are using. For other readers, here is what this add-on looks like in action:

1651958561969.png

Step 1​

It would be helpful if members would up or downvote this suggestion to help us gauge if it is worth the cost and effort to implement:

1651959250906.png

Step 2​

What keywords would you like to see added to this feature if it were implemented? You can look at these threads for ideas:

Here is a discussion on this add-on that may be of interest:

Note that like many of xenForo's mouseover features, it don't work great, or at all, on touch screen interfaces. I suppose that could be fixed if the add-on supported clicking or tapping on the object in addition to a mouseover.

Here is a discussion on this add-on that may be of interest:

Note that like many of xenForo's mouseover features, it don't work great, or at all, on touch screen interfaces. I suppose that could be fixed if the add-on supported clicking or tapping on the object in addition to a mouseover.

I have not found a way to get the feature to work on my phone. It just highlights the word without the pop out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom