ABC islands are among the safest of the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kukuisa

Contributor
Reaction score
According to MSNBC the ABC islands are among the safest in the world. They write:

"Given some Caribbean islands' reputation for violent crime and the high-profile Natalee Holloway case in Aruba, it may seem counterintuitive to include the Dutch ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) on a list of the world's safest places to travel.
But the stats don't lie: Crime rates on the three islands are low, political unrest is virtually unknown,........."

Read the whole article on:
The safest destinations around the world - Destinations- msnbc.com

K.

If you read the article it is not terribly specific. No there is not a great deal of "political unrest" in the ABCs. They report there is not a lot of crime against yachts and not many "felonies".
I am not trashing Bonaire but this article doesn't consider the crimes against tourist, ie. "petty theft" which is clearly more common and a topic of long discussions on this Board. In fact I suspect most of the crimes of this nature do not get reported and therefore don't become a statistic for such puff journalism.
The ABCs are great islands to visit and live but like any place else that becomes popular you have to protect the very things that made people choose the islands in the first place.

This thread is a perfect example of the popularity of "bad news" vs "good news". And it's not just here, it's everywhere, on the news on TV, the radio etc. Folks love to read & post on threads which titillate about robbery; break ins; bad behavior, crime, rip offs etc. However when someone posts an article that the ABCs are some of the safest destinations in the entire Caribbean (and I've been to many others) you see very little responses. Hmm so what does that tell you about human nature?

Its the media of fear. It goes hand in hand with politics of fear. Some are obsessed with it and miss out on some of what life has to offer. Hit them with statistics and all you get is "yeah but...." If you live your life in fear you will find a way to be afraid and try to make others be afraid too so you won't feel that you are being irrational.

I was commenting more on the journalism because I don't for a minute believe anybody in the various ABC island governments has a clue as to the actual number of crimes against tourists.
Most events just don't get reported. Anybody who has traveled anywhere in the Caribbean knows of the steps to stay safe and they are discussed at length here on the SB. But recently there have been posts not just of the usual empty car break ins but of possessions getting stolen from rooms and homes while people were in them.
Authorities still seem to treat this as "kids will be kids" stuff and don't believe much needs to be done. I love Bonaire but paid for a smashed rental car window the last time I was there. Would still go back as it is probably as safe as NYC or Wash. DC and the diving is better than the Hudson or Potomac.
I don't think anybody needs to be afraid to travel to Bonaire but I wouldn't put a smiley face on it either. It is just this kind of stupid reporting that keeps the local governments from doing anything.
The same mindset drives me crazy when we push for more reef protection in Curacao and are reminded that the island was voted one of the top macro and shore diving islands in the Caribbean, like what we have is good enough.

I guess that there is one little thing I am missing regarding this thread and I would like the boosters of the ABC islands to respond.

Why are visitor's (and locals) advised to leave cars unlocked and windows down if the islands are so safe from crime? Is the reason that there is no need to lock your doors or is it to limit the damage when locals steal from you?

Driftwood..Different things mean different things in different places. Or to put it another way; when in Rome you'd be wise to do as the Romans do. If you are staying in a foreign place, it's prudent to investigate the local customs and practices. You really want to blend in & not stand out. This advice is universal, no matter where you travel.

Specifically, a locked car at a dive site on Bonaire symbolizes & represents to the "perps" of this sort of thing that there are valuables inside. After all, just about everyone leaves the windows down & nothing of value in the vehicles. So a locked car at a dive site will attract certain unsavory types of people who are looking for a quick and non confrontational hit. Many times locked cars do indeed have valuables inside them. And this only serves to perpetrate the behavior of the perps; which is WHY visitors are constantly told, leave windows down & nothing of value inside.

We advise all our guests to lock their front door & utilize the secure safe in our unit when they leave. We have never had any problems. It pays to be on guard, prudent and vigilant. You may be in what you perceive as paradise and "on vacation", but don't throw caution to the wind..human (bad) behavior is universal.

I was commenting more on the journalism because I don't for a minute believe anybody in the various ABC island governments has a clue as to the actual number of crimes against tourists.
Most events just don't get reported. Anybody who has traveled anywhere in the Caribbean knows of the steps to stay safe and they are discussed at length here on the SB. But recently there have been posts not just of the usual empty car break ins but of possessions getting stolen from rooms and homes while people were in them.
Authorities still seem to treat this as "kids will be kids" stuff and don't believe much needs to be done. I love Bonaire but paid for a smashed rental car window the last time I was there. Would still go back as it is probably as safe as NYC or Wash. DC and the diving is better than the Hudson or Potomac.
I don't think anybody needs to be afraid to travel to Bonaire but I wouldn't put a smiley face on it either. It is just this kind of stupid reporting that keeps the local governments from doing anything.
The same mindset drives me crazy when we push for more reef protection in Curacao and are reminded that the island was voted one of the top macro and shore diving islands in the Caribbean, like what we have is good enough.

The real question is: Are you afraid? I went to Bonaire and was not even mildly apprehensive at any moment. The people were friendly, the precautions against theft were simple, and the presence of security staff at the resorts was the same as what one would expect in the US. Fear is a healthy response which keeps you safe, however, in some situations it is unwarranted given the apparent threat level. Bonaire impressed me as a place where that threat level was quite low compared to places like Jamaica and St. Croix where I actually felt uncomfortable on a couple occasions while off the beaten path.

No, I am not afraid to go to the ABCs. Living in Curacao there are some places that common sense would dictate avoiding at night. Just like any place else.
But I am afraid FOR Bonaire and Curacao because they are great places to dive
and I would hate to see inaction by the islands lead to their becoming in your eyes like Jamaica or St.Croix.

Back
Top Bottom