ABC Islands - which is the best for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion in this thread. Couple of thoughts...<br><br><br><br>Seems odd to me that a number of sizable dive resorts that can handle large groups prosper in Bonaire (e.g.: Buddy Dive, Captain Don's Habitat, Eden Beach Resort, the Plaza), yet nobody has made this business model work on Curacao? Very interesting! Wonder why Habitat and Sunset Waters failed (I presume; I'm not personally familiar with them)?&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>Aruba Bob, were you shore diving Aruba? If so, and especially with longer swim outs, do you have to use a dive flag, or are you at substantial risk to get nailed by a jet ski or boat?&nbsp;<br><br>Richard.

all that broken html gives me a headache but that aside...what do you mean, there's plenty of dive resorts in Curacao that made it work, Kura Hulanda being one of the bigger ones

I tried to post after having the page open awhile (had to go do some work), and my 'token had expired.' I did a copy & paste, but you see what happened.

I don't know the availability of Curacao offerings; I'm going by Damelfish's post, since she's got some familiarity with it. Someone who did group trips at a dive shop she knew gave up looking there, as he couldn't find whatever it was he wanted. Which raises the question of what he was after that Curacao didn't seem to have.

Richard.

I haven't been to Bonaire or Curacao, but I think I can say "not Aruba". (The Antilla is cool, though.)

If you do go to Aruba, go to Pizza Bob's, have some pizza and drink a giant Balashi.

Last edited:
I have not been to Aruba but you really cannot go wrong with either Curacao or Bonaire. My husband Prefers Bonaire. Less driving due to roads that actually contour the coastline. Downtown shops and restaurants are a much sorter distance from lodging. I will tell you that I prefer Curacao. Stunning beaches, easier shore entries/exits and I find the landscape and ocean floor topography more interesting. I feel that Bonaire has 'fishier' waters -especially with all the schools of tarpon. However I feel that Curacao seems to have more turtles, stingrays and eels. I love both places.

On our last vacation to Bonaire, Delta decided to change around some flight times which meant an overnight in Atlanta. Certainly a 'first world problem', but significantly adds cost and reduces actual vacation time. Curacao on the other hand has more flight options and the pricing is more attractive than Bonaire. Now that I have really mucked up your decision, I am hoping to return to either place next winter. Always a win-win:)

I've been to all three islands. Aruba has beautiful beaches and a good top side life but the diving is just ok. Clive with Dive Aruba is a fantastic operator. If I were vacationing on Aruba and wanted to get wet, I would certainly dive there.

Bonaire's diving is wonderful and is extremely easy as others have noted. There are several good places to eat. If you want to dive, dive, dive, and do more diving, Bonaire is a great place. There are some good places to visit on the island but no real good beaches. I liked the town of Rincon. But mostly Bonaire is where I would go if I want to eat, sleep, and dive.

Curacao has some great beaches (Playa Porto Marie, for example), a good selection of food, some great historical sites, and lots more to do in general. The eastern part of the island is more industrialized but drive west and you'll soon see more openness.

When I last visited there, I spent a week in Bonaire and another week in Curacao. That might be what I do again the next time I go back.

I've done one trip each to Bonaire and Curacao and diversteve's analysis is spot on. Having said that, I slightly favor Bonaire over Curacao just because I got tired of all the driving to get to sites on Curacao. I just posted to this forum a report on our recent Curacao trip.

On Bonaire there's about a dozen dedicated dive resorts on the water. On Curacao there's one. However almost every major hotel or beach resort also has an on-site dive operator.

Looking back over the thread, I found Dive Steve's statement here interesting. I wonder how much of a 'different experience' the one approach tends to be compared to the other?

On Bonaire I've stayed at Eden Beach Resort (which is affiliated with a dive shop, WannaDive) 4 times (this was years ago, under prior management), Dive Hut (budget housing, affiliated with WannaDive) 1 time, and Buddy Dive (traditional dive resort) 3 times, but even then, the former 2 were heavily patronized by divers. Functionally, 'dive resorts.' And you can save a little booking Buddy dive with a non-diver package.

But that's not the same as what I think he's talking about; maybe booking a stay at the Hilton or some such. I just wonder how it affects the work flow of the diving and the tone of the vacation?

Richard.

Did 2 1/2 weeks on the three islands but only dive Bonaire and Aruba. Although I enjoyed the dives on Aruba (went with Dive Aruba.. Dive with Clive), water conditions wee nowhere near as nice as Bonaire. Much lower visibility and more surface chop. I did see and film a number of species I didn't locate on Bonaire and the Antilla was interesting. When I return, it will be to Bonaire.

I'm leaving for Aruba (again) tomorrow. The diving there is awesome, especially the south end. Long, sloping wall to 100+ feet, wrecks, airplanes, it doesn't get much better. I dove with Red Sail Sports 3 years ago and will be with them again next week. Great operation.
Bonaire is fine for shore diving but Aruba is far superior for an awesome diving experience. I've spent a week on both islands and I'll take Aruba for diving over Bonaire any time. Have not been diving in Curacao so can't comment on that.

Last edited:
I'm leaving for Aruba (again) tomorrow. The diving there is awesome, especially the south end. Long, sloping wall to 100+ feet, wrecks, airplanes, it doesn't get much better. I dove with Red Sail Sports 3 years ago and will be with them again next week. Great operation.
Bonaire is fine for shore diving but Aruba is far superior for an awesome diving experience. I've spent a week on both islands and I'll take Aruba for diving over Bonaire any time. Have not been diving in Curacao so can't comment on that.
I'm afraid I don't understand. Did you actually see anything of interest on Aruba that exceeded what is found on Bonaire? "Awesome diving experiences" are pretty much available on Bonaire, Curacao, Belize, as well as every other place I have been. I need more detail for your comment to be meaningful, to me at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom