ABC Islands - which is the best for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is too bad that you have had bad food experiences. We really enjoy the food and mostly eat local. Pincho's Garden, Golden Star and also the "old market"

yes, I think the food is one of the reasons to go to Curacao. You can find less than great restaurants there like anywhere, but there is lots of variety and choices and plenty of good food to be had - it's one of the things that a larger & more populous island tends to make easier. On the other hand the good food may not be convenient - in particular if you stay out in the West end where the diving is generally better, there are a couple good choices but it's pretty limited and a long haul to town. (I shouldn't judge the food in Bonaire because I haven't been in so very long, but we never had much luck with food there. Even on trips where I had been hearing things like "it's gotten so much better," the food still mostly sucked. So to this day I am skeptical when I hear that.)

I prefer Curacao to Bonaire because the UW topography is more varied in Curacao and the island is somewhat easier to get to. I prefer boat diving to hauling gear around, so the fact that shore diving around Bonaire is a bit more convenient doesn't do anything for me. I do like that Bonaire has many choices in real dive resorts and things are generally a bit more convenient once you're there - Curacao loses points there, especially since Sunset Waters then Habitat closed. (I don't think the lack of great dive resorts on Curacao has anything to do with the quality of the diving or inability to support dive resorts, but other factors.)

I have dived Bonaire many times and Curacao once, and only the west end. I like both. The diving is similar, the fish are similar. The major negative about Curacao, imho, is that many great dive locations are inaccessible except by boat. Roads simply do not provide access to the shore because much of the land is private. That said, a similar criticism could be leveled at Bonaire. There are substantial stretches along the road to Karpata where there are no parking spots and the water is accessible only from a sizable cliff with no obvious return possibilities for divers with heavy awkward gear.

Actually, I thought for a while that Curacao would supersede Bonaire as a dive destination because of the cheap flights and ease of getting there. But, that clearly has not happened and seems less likely than ever with the closing of Sunset Waters (which was at a great location) and Habitat.

As for Aruba, I have not been diving there. My daughter has and her views are consistent with what I have read on ScubaBoard. There are a few good sites, but most can't hold a candle to Curacao or Bonaire. Search ScubaBoard.

Actually, I thought for a while that Curacao would supersede Bonaire as a dive destination because of the cheap flights and ease of getting there.

I've been watching that issue with interest. Over the years I've seen Curacao growing 'mindshare' in discussions on this forum, but I still don't see a lot of big organized dive-shop led groups aiming for Curacao, compared to Bonaire, and the number of trip reports seems to heavily favor Bonaire.

Wonder how that picture will look in 10 years?

Richard.

Aruba has the Antilla wreck. A great dive, but I would not dedicate a dive trip just for that. More like if you are vacationing on Aruba (awesome beaches), then definitely dive 1 day to the Antilla.

Bonaire is shore diving capital. Shore dive freedom is great, and diving around the island is fun. But, I find the dive sites too similar. After a few days lugging tanks & driving around, it got tiresome because the underwater dive experience seemed the same.

Curacao is my favorite of the 3. Don't go crazy driving all over the island. Dive sites & underwater topography are more varied than Bonaire. I was satisfied diving just 4 sites over a week on Curacao.

I've been watching that issue with interest. Over the years I've seen Curacao growing 'mindshare' in discussions on this forum, but I still don't see a lot of big organized dive-shop led groups aiming for Curacao, compared to Bonaire, and the number of trip reports seems to heavily favor Bonaire.

Wonder how that picture will look in 10 years?
A shop I dive with sometimes used to run trips to Curacao, but no longer - because there's not really anyplace they consider well suited to run a group trip to anymore. I know he's looked, and gave up finding what he wanted. Kura Hulanda must get some, I do know someone who ran a small group trip there last year - but it's more expensive than I think many people want to pay for a Caribbean dive trip, and I suspect shops feel they wouldn't be able to sell that trip easily. I might burn some points at the Marriott sometime since it's nice and well located, the dive shop seems to have a good rep and there is some semblance of on site shore diving - but again, I don't see that as a place most shops would run a group trip. There's Lion's Dive, seems the most logical and I assume shops run trips there, but I personally wouldn't sign up as I'm not crazy about the area or dive op, and it's too far away from the best diving on the island. Breezes (or Sunscape or whatever it is now)? I dunno. The Scuba Lodge downtown? - hard to say, don't hear much about them and their website isn't too helpful in figuring out what they have, or not. I'd hoped when the eastern end of the island got developed some kind of more scuba oriented resort might appear, but that didn't happen.

If Habitat was reopened as the great dive resort it was when it started, and run well, I think they'd (again) have plenty of group and individual business. Same if Sunset Waters was reopened, though that's probably mostly a tear down by now, some of it looked like a tear down while it was still open. Or if some other Bonaire style dive resort was magically plunked down on that section of the coast. At this point they may have a chicken and egg problem. Needs someone with money who puts priority on diving and has a "build it and they will come" attitude. What are the chances that will happen?

I have done about 400 dives on Aruba. I have done about 160 dives on Curacao and I have done about 35 dives on Bonaire. All 3 Islands have very good diving, if u go to the right spots. If you are talking about fish and coral, then I pick Bonaire as #1, then Curacao and then Aruba. One thing you have to realize is Aruba has a lot more current, waves and the reef is a lot farther out. I dove both sides of the Island on Curacao and really like it but there was a ton more fish on Bonaire. This week I am heading to Curacao for 10 days and then Bonaire for 9 days and then Aruba for 2 months. Hopefully I can give u more info by the end of August.

I concur with most of the posts in this thread ranking Bonaire and Curacao above Aruba. Overall, the coral was disappointing in Aruba. However, the beaches and island were spectacular, which was great for the family.

In Aruba, the Jane Sea and Antilla were great wrecks and I really liked the black coral forest at Finger Reef.

I've never dived Bonaire, but that is on my list to dive soon.

did both Curacao and Bonaire, we prefer the latter, however if you want to do other things besides diving, Curacao has more options for that

and +1 for the old market in Curacao, delicious food

Interesting discussion in this thread. Couple of thoughts...<br><br>
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">A shop I dive with sometimes used to run trips to Curacao, but no longer - because there's not really anyplace they consider well suited to run a group trip to anymore. I know he's looked, and gave up finding what he wanted.</span>
<br><br>Seems odd to me that a number of sizable dive resorts that can handle large groups prosper in Bonaire (e.g.: Buddy Dive, Captain Don's Habitat, Eden Beach Resort, the Plaza), yet nobody has made this business model work on Curacao? Very interesting! Wonder why Habitat and Sunset Waters failed (I presume; I'm not personally familiar with them)?&nbsp;<br><br>
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">One thing you have to realize is Aruba has a lot more current, waves and the reef is a lot farther out.</span>
<br><br>Aruba Bob, were you shore diving Aruba? If so, and especially with longer swim outs, do you have to use a dive flag, or are you at substantial risk to get nailed by a jet ski or boat?&nbsp;<br><br>Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom