Abnormally Cold Vacation diver in Cali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that fit is a big problem here. Usually suits end up loose around my core. Are there brands to look for that might be more likely to work for my shape? Or custom fits in my budget?

That said, even when things fit, I still need warmer than others (i.e. in carribean waters where others dive in just their swim trunks I'm in a shortie or thin full length to be comfortable).

Unfortunately the budget really is tight so cheaper stop would be helpful.

Dano's gear tends to be budget-friendly: Wetsuits - Spearfishing Wetsuits - MAKO Spearguns but chances are you'll want the "L" length and "M" waist. As others said, open-cell neoprene is the warmest you can get -- provided it fits -- but you sound like you might want to put an extra hooded vest on top and maybe a pair of "tech" shorts too. That together with a custom-fit open-cell, will likely get you close to, if not over, the drysuit price.

You're not going to grow really useful bioprene unless you can jump into a time machine and take up swimming at/before the age of 6: swimmers tend to both develop better cold tolerance and grow subcutaneous fat to insulate us, but you have to start early and do it for a decade+.

You could try contrast showers, they do increase cold tolerance (among other things). They won't stop you from going hypothermic, but they could help with feeling cold and miserable. And they're cheap and are supposed to be good for you anyway.

A follow up from my earlier discussion comparing same size AquaLock and Neosport hoods in terms of fit and comfort, now that I've reflected on what others have told you about the need for a snug fit for a wetsuit.

If you go the wetsuit route, I suggest you get one with a stretchier material. You'll want something that fits snuggly enough, but isn't constricting, and will still fit if you gain 10 lbs, etc... Something that lets you move comfortably.

I'm not saying it has to be the highest end. I like Henderson Thermoprene suits fine, but I don't have the kind of experience to compare them against other mainstream brands and tell you one is better than the others. And I respect cheap; my 7 mm boots are Neosport and they serve me just fine. The hood situation...was very much another story.

I use oniel heat 4/3 wetsuit, oniel has the best fitting suits and stretchy also they have aqua locking seals that really work, no flushing. If you need more insulation, you can put a 2 mm sleeveless shorty on top. I also have an 80 watt wetsuit heater with 250 watt hours battery with controller and 7/5 Henderson pro hood. I don't use dry suits, because I pee so much during the dive, I always drink 1 liter of water before I dive.

The problem with a new drysuit is one still needs to purchase the undergarment to be warm. While doing this under $500 is possible, it takes a decent understanding of specifically what you want (and can get), and where to look.

I'd recommend contacting JMJ and see what they can offer within your budget.

Finally, gloves and hood are super important to consider. Cold head and hands can make you feel cold everywhere.

Get a Seaskin dry suit.

If you're cold in Catalina in October, good luck diving NorCal any time of the year. A good 7mm neoprene suit will set you back several hundred and you will still be cold. A bad neoprene suit will be cheap and it will also compress easier, i.e., it may not be the best heat insulator.

Seaskin is around $800 with shipping and customs may get you with a fee later. However, once you dive dry, you won't want to go back to diving wet in Cali. I went through that journey myself. Had I gone dry right away, I would have saved some $.

As for the undergarments, you can get away with a dual use setup. For example, Ice Breakers merino base layers will function well, especially in a made-to-measure Seaskin. That's where I'd start now that I have done Ca diving.

P.S. Also, you want more fat, not muscle, as fat is a worse heat conductor.

That's still over the budget requested, but does that include undergarments?
No, that is a fully made to measure neoprene dry suit. A semi-dry hollis will set you back $650+ right now so the price difference really isn't much. Being neoprene you can get away without extensive undergarments since the neo is insulating by itself.

That's still over the budget requested, but does that include undergarments?
If you're on the budget, buy dual use undergarments that you can use elsewhere. Pretty much anything that is tight athleisure will work in Cali. You're not diving 30F waters.

$800 is $300-350 more than a solid 7mm wetsuit that will last and keep you warm, not an Amazon Belize vacation special. If it were me, I'd save up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom