Aborted Dive Report July 28th/29th (Escape from Izu...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Knew the Typhoon was coming, but I had to take a few students from my university down to Izu for a snorkeling trip and hotel reservations were already made. They were going to snorkel Manazuru the first day and Futo the second. I planned to dive and let them snorkel...

Got to Manzuru and it was way big, quite spectacular, really. Obviously had to can the dive and snorkel and went to a "wave protected" sand beach in Atami. It was huge! Waves breaking over the outer cement barriers, and 10 foot swells still slipping through. We had an awesome time in those waves until the beach got closed down. Apparently, there were some deaths at a nearby beach...

We went to the waling bridge near IOP later in the day. By that time, the waves looked near 20 feet. The clifftops and bridge are about 70 feet above the ocean, and water from the waves crashing on the cliffsides was coming up over the bridge. We stayed for over an hour just watching that.

Got a call early this morning telling me that the coastal raods were closed down in at least two places because waves up to 30 feet were breaking over those roads. Had to drive inland to get back north and deliver my liability (students).

First we took the Izu Skyline drive, but had to get off due to near zero visibility (fog) and high winds. Ended up going almost all the way to the west coast to hook up with the Tomei at Numazu. Smooth sailing from there. Only took me 4 hours to get home.

Overall it was a great trip. It was one of those occasions when I had a vivid chance to reappreciate the power of the ocean.

JAG

Why didn't you just take them to Osezaki?

1. The sites I picked were specific for really nice shallow areas with lots of sea life. I don't really think Osezaki is a particularly nice snorkeling candidate, just my opinion...
2. Our hotel was in reserved in Ito.
3. Anyway, wind and waves were coming from the south, so I am not so sure the west side was all that calm....but it may have been better.

It looks like even Wan-nai (Osezaki) is getting rough, but still diveable.

Check out the webcams for Atami, pretty big.

Yes I am serious. I called YGM at 19:00 tonight and he said no problem. Bad vis though. Where do you find the webcams?

Thomas

Here's one from Atami city.

I have a hard time controlling it though, and this morning I couldn't connect.

http://www.city.atami.shizuoka.jp/LiveCamera/atami_livecam.htm

JAG, Thomas doesn't need good vis, actually it is better training. I cancelled the dives for Saturday because I had a couple of courses.

Fun diving for Sunday looks like it is on, though.

In my previous post, I said that I dove in a typhoon washing machine. That was with YGM, although no one else went out. He's a fisherman, so he knows the sea well and I trust his judgement, although I probably wouldn't let most of the divers go unless they were really experienced.

Cheers,

Just came back from a wonderful day of diving in Atami. Vis 8-15 meters. No washing machine - and very few divers.

Dive 1. Scooter at Bitagane Tugboat 1 and 2. Huge schools of fishes. Met Marc's bumphead parrotfish again.

Dive 2. Wreck penetration all 3 major sections. Great dive, no other divers on it.

Dive 3. Scooter tour all around Bitagane in 14 minutes and harrassing divers at the wreck where we spent another 15 minutes circling around.

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom