aborted open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDog, how about an update? Have you tried again?

In case you're not back in the water yet, I have a few suggestions.

First, keep up the good attitude.

Second, make sure you find a wet suit that's comfortable for you. You can keep your weight down somewhat with a good fitting suit, and it may help to flood the suit when you're first in the water. If you were having trouble getting into the suit, it helps to put all but the bottom of the legs inside out, and put it on like you would panty hose! (Trust me on this one. You'll feel a lot more confident if you didn't just have to leap and tug to get into the thing.)

Third, if you can, complete the written component of the course. If you're confident that you know what's expected, you will be a lot less anxious. Less anxiety, calmer breathing, less weight.

When I did my open water I needed more weight than we had anticipated. I had my dive master's ankle weights around my belt to keep me down for my skills. I was quite happy getting wet recently, and discovering that I slid easily into my own suit, and that I needed less than half of the weight I used before.

The gym was a great idea, but work on the academics too. The less mystery there is to this, the more comfortable you'll be. I hope to hear that this advice is coming way too late, and that you're already back in the water. At any rate, good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom