Aborting A Dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed - every diver on every dive should feel they can call a dive for whatever reason. Might only be the voice in the back of their head saying "something isn't right" but that is plenty for me

In cave diving we have 9 lights between the 3 of us (when team diving) - if one of the 9 fail we thumb the dive and turn around. Better safe than sorry.

Absolutely the right thing. I was in Rhode Island 10 years ago as a new diver and was not at all impressed with the current, surf and lack of viz. It may have been the only dive I really aborted due to "fear". I have cut quite a few short over the years for a number of reasons and "curbed" a few to get away from something that made me uncomfortable. Hey, it is supposed to be fun and safe.
Have decided to go back there this coming summer and check out the viz 10 years later. Maybe if I were more experienced back then I would not have aborted. But maybe yes.

In cave diving we have 9 lights between the 3 of us (when team diving) - if one of the 9 fail we thumb the dive and turn around. Better safe than sorry.
that seems overly cautious

It's better safe than dead. More experienced cave divers than I have died for much less than a light going out. The key idea is - when something goes wrong - no matter what it is - you abort. There is always tomorrow to dive - if you survive the dive that is.

You don't die if one torch fails theres often a combination of events, one torch fail out of 9 is not a life threatening issue ,what i will concede is of concern is how the diver reacts to that issue and allowing any situation small or large to get out of control -Im all for safety but the odds of even 6 torches failing in succesion is infinitesimal -something like .0005% . - That is a huge margin of safety before you are in extremis

You don't die if one torch fails theres often a combination of events, one torch fail out of 9 is not a life threatening issue ,what i will concede is of concern is how the diver reacts to that issue and allowing any situation small or large to get out of control -Im all for safety but the odds of even 6 torches failing in succesion is infinitesimal -something like .0005% . - That is a huge margin of safety before you are in extremis

It's not about the chance of failure - it's about following protocol.

The 5 rules of safe cave diving:

rule 1: Dive within your limits
rule 2: Maintain a continuous guideline to open water
rule 3: Reserve 2/3 gas for exit
rule 4: Do not exceed MOD of gas
rule 5: Use complete, functioning and appropriate gear

When 1 of your 3 lights go out - rule 5 is broken. You are no longer fully functional, you no longer have a complete set of gear. Each diver has to have 3 sources of light appropriate for the dive.

Each rule you break increases your chances of death significantly.

When you break a rule - you abort. No questions.

OT: This cave diving discussion is SO FAR PAST basic scuba discussions. we should probably just stop here.

Last edited:
are these rules from a caving manual ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom