About diving with strangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was the second weekend of lobster seaons '07 and I was itching for a dive. My usual dive buddy was unavailable (on a lobster boat that night) but I wasn't interested in lobstering. I just wanted to do a night dive. So I visited the local shop and asked if anyone was looking for a dive buddy and there was none. The shop was closing. About 2 minutes before the doors locked (and as I was on my way out) the phone rings. The shop owner answers and hands the phone to me. Strange. I'm not a regular.

The person on the other end asks if I'd like to dive with him in about an hour and do a lobster dive. I said I'm interested in diving but I don't have my lobter gear with me (measure and bag). He said no problem. So I head down to the beach (thousand steps in Laguna, Ca. -- if you haven't been there before, there's a reason for the name). It was my first time there. Actually, its only about 260 or so steps. I had just completed ADP so lugging the steps would be no big deal for me with gear -- I've been through worse on Rescue day and Malaga Cove/RAT beach (twice that day).

So I wait and wait and wait and nearly give up when finally he arrives. He introduces himself and asks me how many dives I've done. So I answer, nearly 50. Twenty-five of which in the past 8 weeks, the rest the year prior. I recipricate "and you"? He says "I've done 25 dives." So, with that out of the way he hands me a piece of cardboard measured to look like a lobster measuring device (cut in the sillouette of his aluminum counterpart). I laughed and said "you're joking?" and he replies "that should do, it doesn't need to be perfect". I quipped back "this won't last the first 10 seconds in the water and yes, it does need to be perfect." and he mumbled something but in the end I didn't want to lobster anyway so it didn't matter to me. Rather than seeing this as warning to call the dive I saw it as a the much needed excuse to not lobster. But it did have me feeling uneasy. I got over it when we geared up.

We gear up and begin our trek down the steps. BTW: Its interesting looking at a very steep incline covered by trees and seeing nothing but steps and not even the bottom of them. Hearing waves off in the distance about 300 feet lower and 100 feet from where the steps end. It brings a sense of adventure and a hint of apprehension. After all, I don't know this person or this location.

At the bottom we survey the conditions and discuss our plan. There's a bit of wind and the surf, considering there's no one else at this beach, at about 5-6 feet waves coming from -1 low tide just about at 5.8' high was daunting with about 10 - 14 second intervals. Now, we do that for ADP occasionally but there's far more people and instructors and lifeguards present. But, cautious though I am I'm not yet ready to call the dive. I figured I'd at least "sample" the force of the waves. I wan't yet used to pitch black night diving yet (this being my 3rd or 4th truly night dive - twighlights don't count in this case).

He got out no problem but at ankle depth I took a wall of white in the face that was well above my head (and I'm 6'2") and lost a brand new fin with $90 spring strap. I spent about 30 minutes looking for it before I said I wasn't interested in diving. While in the surf looking, the waves hit so hard it also caused me to lose my weight belt and somehow nearly my BC but I had active lights attached to both and quickly recovered them.

He insisted that I can do it with one fin and I might have agreed but given those conditions and my general displeasure with him and the situation I didn't want to. But, he insisted on and on. He finally gave me his fins and said he'll use my one. I didn't much want to but I eventually agreed and figured that I'll have a nice dive in the end and maybe find my fin on shore when we return (my main reason for agreeing -- it's a better way to bide the time). I always did in the past when I lost fins.

We get in, past the surf, drop. The surge wasn't very bad and visibility is "normal" for Laguna beach. We find some bugs but I notice that he ocassionally surfaces from 40" drop back down and changes directions frequently. I show him my compass and signal to the previously agreed on bearing relating to the directions he planned (I took notes and jotted all the bearings before we entered water). I also notice this guy hasn't a clue with buoyancy. He's up and down and all around with hands and feet in every direction to stablize. By now I'm regretting entering the water. All I can think about is getting back safely and if something happens, can he rescue me or will I need to rescue him? With his lack of attention to anything, lack of bouyancy, and constantly surfacing to get bearing, I figured I'm on my own.

I signal to head back to beach (we agreed on a signal for that) and on our way back pass a lobster cage. There is a HUGE bug in there (perhaps 4.5 - 5 lbs) and he actually reaches in grabs it, pulls it out and points at it. I signalled in no uncertain terms to put it back. In fact, I had at this point a creepy feeling that someone else saw it and was ready to shoot us. But that didn't happen. I was umbarrest for something I didn't even do. We both surface (so he can get bearing) and he said that he wasn't going to keep it, he just wanted to show me what a legal size bug looked like but I wasn't born yesterday and I had seen a barely legal before and everything bigger and smaller.

I told him that I'd rather surface swim back (about 1/2 mile at this point) against the current than go back under with him and risk something terrible. At least I have safety equipment to get a boat's attention if I must. He wasn't happy but agreed, we switched fins, and about 1 hour later we were in the surf and on the sand. The whole time all I heard from him was how good a swimmer he is and how much mastery of diving he has (he is a lifetime surfer before diving). I never found my fin after looking for another hour after that.

When we made it to the top of the stairs he tells me that was his first dive in 8 years. His previous 25 dives where done in Florida and for the 8 weeks after his open water. His gear hadn't been used since then, either. He said he'd do a dive again and wanted to plan for the next dive but I wasn't ready to go back under with him and wanted to get my bearings and figure out what went wrong and what I can take from it. I was both miserable and glad that I will make it home to see my wife that night.

So here it is:

* When someone thinks its okay to use a cardboard lobster guage saying it doesn't have to be accurate, that's a good warning sign that it's time to plan diving another time

* It is not enough to know how many dives your buddy has, but more importantly how recent these dives were. Had I thought to ask or had otherwise known of his 25 dives in the past, this is his first dive in 8 years I would have not done the dive

* It is not enough to know how many dives your buddy has, and how recent his diving experience is, it is more important to determine somehow whether you can trust him and whether you will be comfortable with this person under water.

* When you don't feel comfortable given the circumstances at the time (first time at the location, new to night diving, diving with complete stranger, and heavy surf all at once) it's probly a good idea to trust your instincts and call the dive

* When you ignore the warning about the poor juddgement in fish and game rules, have no idea where your stranger dive buddy is in experience, and ignore your concerns about the conditions, perhaps losing your fin would be another contraindication to diving that night. If not losing the fin, then perhaps when the waves hit you so hard that your weight belt comes off and your BC only comes off, you might decide its not a good idea to make the dive. One thing about ADP, you learn your limits and are supposed to learn when its good to make the dive and when its better to wait another time. I ignored all the indoctrinating that night.

* When you enter the water and your dive buddy (who won't shut up about how good he is at diving and navigating and swimming) has to continually surface to get bearing, it's probly a good idea to insist on heading back.

* When your dive buddy reaches into a trap and grabs a record-breaker then, if you have a spear gun, aim it at him and fire. (this bullet point is a joke).

* Know your own limits and comfort zones and only push past them if there's a good reason for doing so. In my case, I already didn't want to do the dive but for some reason I didn't have the courage to resist him. You can bet your a$$ in the future if I'm not comfy with the dive for any reasons I'll be walking away with or without my buddy's approval or happiness.

* The most important one: I will no longer dive with someone not a rescue diver and without some more recent diving experience (at least within the year) unless I know them well or otherwise have zero reservations about the person. At my first reservation I'm done with this buddy.

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks,
Shawn

Im quite weary about diving with strangers myself, however Im also diving solo most of the time amongst other things because theres not much divers here. However, when I do dive with strangers Im prepared to be self sufficient the same way I would if I was diving solo. The main difference is that I actually have a buddy to keep an eye on and one to hopefully keep an eye on me although I dont depend on it.
What I NEVER do however, is dive an unfamiliar site in poor conditions or at night.
Diving without one of my fins? No way.

Heh heh. As a safety exercise, I sometimes swim underwater with 1 fin. The idea that you should, voluntarily, do an entire dive with 1 fin is, how shall I say, idiotic.

I dive with strangers a lot. With regard to my own safety, I simply view it as a solo dive and carry a pony bottle with its own reg set, slung and ready to be handed off. I try to make a clear dive plan, and I am prepared to abort the dive at the first significant deviation from the plan by my new-found buddy.

Actually, I enjoy diving with strangers and have made some good friends that way. But it does add a bit of risk.

I too have had a great time meeting and diving with strangers. A few bad experiences, certainly, but I know when to back off and take care of myself and just get this one dive behind me. It's easy to decline a second dive with the jerk.
Did you say you were not familiar with this site before doing a night dive? That's asking for trouble. It's just safer and more relaxing to do a night dive when you have experienced this site before.
Trust your instincts! When that little voice says "don't" it's a really good idea to listen. That little voice is sometimes a lot smarter than the reasoning part of our minds. Suggested reading :"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. You'll never look at your insticts in quite the same way. A part of you knew right away that you were dealing with a jerk, even if the reasoning part of your mind talked you into continuing the dive.

Trust your instincts! When that little voice says "don't" it's a really good idea to listen. That little voice is sometimes a lot smarter than the reasoning part of our minds.

Very good advise indeed.

leabre:
You had so many warnings not to dive with this guy it's not funny.
I don't think I would rely on any boat to see me at night, especially in those conditions whether I had signaling devices or not. This could have ended tragically but glad it did not. :headshake:

I do agree that the one fin thing was a little over the top...

However, what does not kill us makes us stronger. You survived and you learned something. It's called experience. Now you have more of it... :D

And, a good story to tell...

* The most important one: I will no longer dive with someone not a rescue diver and without some more recent diving experience (at least within the year) unless I know them well or otherwise have zero reservations about the person.

This statement is close to cutting yourself short of a lot of great buddies.
I know loads of OW and AOW divers that have more experience, dives and common sense than rescue divers, divemasters and instructors that i also know and respect.

Certification, numbers of dives and recent dive experience do not nessecarily define the quality of the diver.

Your buddy qualifies for not much more than a Darwin award if you ask me...:D

* Know your own limits and comfort zones and only push past them if there's a good reason for doing so. In my case, I already didn't want to do the dive but for some reason I didn't have the courage to resist him. You can bet your a$$ in the future if I'm not comfy with the dive for any reasons I'll be walking away with or without my buddy's approval or happiness.

* The most important one: I will no longer dive with someone not a rescue diver and without some more recent diving experience (at least within the year) unless I know them well or otherwise have zero reservations about the person. At my first reservation I'm done with this buddy.

Excellent post, thanks!

Knowing your own limits is great advice, but I like even more your admission that you didn't have the "courage to resist him" and how your future decisions won't be based on your "buddy's approval or happiness". That's also a big problem for some divers.

It can be tough to resist those emotional self-image-based pressures, but it gets easier with experience. Thoroughly discussing the dive plan, personal comfort levels and one's criteria for aborting can reduce the pressure.

Trust your instincts! When that little voice says "don't" it's a really good idea to listen. That little voice is sometimes a lot smarter than the reasoning part of our minds. Suggested reading :"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. You'll never look at your insticts in quite the same way. A part of you knew right away that you were dealing with a jerk, even if the reasoning part of your mind talked you into continuing the dive.

Interesting. I'll have to look for that book.

I think anxiety or apprehension or "gut instinct" feelings can certainly become problems of their own if they reduce one's ability to manage or cope, so one good solution is simply to abort the dive. Gut instinct can become more of a problem than the real situation itself sometimes.

In this case, the OP's situation wasn't going to be easily fixed, so I agree completely to just trust one's gut! :D

This statement is close to cutting yourself short of a lot of great buddies.
I know loads of OW and AOW divers that have more experience, dives and common sense than rescue divers, divemasters and instructors that i also know and respect.

Certification, numbers of dives and recent dive experience do not nessecarily define the quality of the diver.

How true!

It's often difficult to predict "by the numbers" whether a stranger will make for a good buddy and a safe dive.

I find that more in-depth open discussion of the dive plan and dive contingencies help to reveal potential problems and personal limits and abilities in a buddy or oneself.

It's still not foolproof as some people can talk a good talk. :wink:

Dave C

Very interesting story. Makes me wonder why so many people feel buddy diving is better than solo diving. Diving in the ocean surf with one fin is pretty damn stupid. But I have to admit, I once showed up for a beach, night dive and completely forgot my BC. My buddy and I would drive to the site together, but didn't really dive as buddies. I just hand carried the tank. It was challenging handling the light, tank, lobster and lobster bag, but it all worked out.

He was really pissed when I met him back at the truck with more lobster than he had.

"The Gift of Fear" was indeed an excellent book.

I used to hear a steel prison door slam behind me twice a day. Once a day it was a good thing. If its one thing I took away from that job its that God gave the hairs on the back of your neck the ability to stand up for a reason.

That being said, when my wife and I do dive vacations she's good for maybe three dives a day max, usually two. If I can see my own hands on a dive its a good dive, so I get as many in as I can. I insta-buddy or do not dive. I've really mostly had good experiences. One bad one, but it was not a disaster. The fact that I had to retrieve the insta buddy's mask from the bottom before she got in the water should have been a clue for me. Trust your instincts. The people who just put their junk together, dress out quick and quiet, and wait patiently for you are the people you want to die with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom