? about DR as a whole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
So I did some research regarding the Dominican Republic. It seems the diving sucks with exception to Catalina Island and the St. George wreck. Here is my question. What is the island like as a whole?

I would like to book a CHEAP trip with an all-iclusive...NOT a dive trip however. I will dive wherever I go. But, I am primarily looking to sit on an island and get drunk in February while it snows here.

So many threads bash the diving so bad I am wondering if there is anything good about DR. I read the food was not good, but I don't know if those people ate at an all-inclusive resort or a local place.

For that matter, does anyone recomend an all-inclusive in DR?

When you do get some recommendations, look them up on TripAdvisor.com
The one thing to be aware of is that the airports are inland and will often involve a very lengthy ride that usually is NOT included in your all-inclusive. Personally, I would go with an all-inclusive if for no other reason but convenience. You can always get pasta and bread, so you won't starve even if you don't trust or like their buffets.

I've been to two All-Inclusives in the DR- don't bother with your dive gear, and don't expect much in terms of food, but it's great for watered-down alcohol and sunny beachfronts.

At least from MN, the DR is one of the best bang for your buck trips. Airfare plus all inclusive runs $750-$850. You will probably go to either Puerto Plata (North) or Punta Cana (South). The all inclusive resorts all grouped together into a development (or compound if you like that term). You do not have beggers and people harrassing you on the beach like Mexico - they actually keep the locals (except employees) out of the "compound". We stayed the the Playa Naco in Puerto Plata. Food was great - several restaurants to pick from, food available 24-7, fancy sit down meals to burgers on the beach. All drinks included - including mixed drinks (note however, that local "Presidente" brand beer coming from the tap was actually a different cheaper brand.

Funny thing is that they try to scare people from leaving the "compound". Extremely nice and friendly people outside the tourist areas. I felt VERY safe. We rented a car and drove around most of the island - we tried to cross to Hiati but it was too late, the boarder was closed. The boarder gaurd did let us walk across with him just say we went there. Haiti is not a safe place.

SCUBA diving was OK ... not as good as Cayman or Cozumel but they do have reefs and wrecks.

My main priority is to find a nice beach for cheap. I know a few people who went to DR and gave me the impression the resorts and beaches were beautiful. But divers bash the island so much (all bad diving coments) that they give me the impression there is nothing worthy on the island as a whole.

I'm looking to get a good all-inclusive + air rate and get a bunch of friends to leave the snow for a week. Of course wherever we go I will dive. But my trip must be based on price and not the type of diving.

My guess is that you will love the DR. You won't come close to the quality of accomodation, food, and drinks for the price. The diving is not bad - you will enjoy it.

I'm looking to get a good all-inclusive + air rate and get a bunch of friends to leave the snow for a week. Of course wherever we go I will dive. But my trip must be based on price and not the type of diving.

With this criteria, you have to go with the DR, especially with some of the deals from Apple Vacations out of Newark.
Just avoid the LTU property.
I've heard amazing things about the Silver Bank (?), but I believe it's only in March, and it's only snorkeling.
http://www.diveglobal.com/explore_destinations/destinations/caribbean/dominican.asp

I can recommend you to go to Bayahibe area . Iberostar and Coral Canoa are both beachfront hotels all-inclusive .

Sea conditions are great all year and the diving is not bad, no big fishes but good visibility , plenty of low profile reefs and good chances to see eagle rays .
Near Isla Saona you can see sharks sometimes but i don´t know if the dive centers take tourists there ,because conditions are pretty challenging and the boat trip is around 1 hour .
Isla Catalina have a nice wall , if you go there ask them to drop you at the west side where the wall start , that way you can make your bottom time up to the middle of the wall ( that´s the most beautiful part of the dive site ). They always take the divers directly to the middle because is easy for them .
Please if you go ask them to not drop the anchor on the corals.

If you are certified cave diver , you can go to a very nice caves in the Bayahibe area.

Besides the beach/diving and very good cold beers is not much to do in the area .
If you want more action and activities you can go to Cabarete ( great for windsurfing,kite,surfing ,party , mountain biking , etc. ) but for good diving there you must drive 1 hour west to Rio San Juan or you can head to Samana for whale watching and some of the best beaches at Las Galeras and Las Terrenas.

Hope this info helps you

Saludos

El buzo
Santo Domingo,R.D.

2 Bar:
So I did some research regarding the Dominican Republic. It seems the diving sucks with exception to Catalina Island and the St. George wreck. Here is my question. What is the island like as a whole?

I would like to book a CHEAP trip with an all-iclusive...NOT a dive trip however. I will dive wherever I go. But, I am primarily looking to sit on an island and get drunk in February while it snows here.

So many threads bash the diving so bad I am wondering if there is anything good about DR. I read the food was not good, but I don't know if those people ate at an all-inclusive resort or a local place.

For that matter, does anyone recomend an all-inclusive in DR?

Check out the Iberostar resort, at Puerto Plata, on the northern side of the Dominican Republic. It is a classy operation, inexpensively priced, with a great dive staff/operation. I stayed there about 15 months ago and enjoyed it immensely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom