About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any problems using the FredT backplate with Halcyon's Pioneer 27? According to Halcyon, "the Halcyon backplate has been specifically engineered to match the Pioneer 27 and it's integrated STA design."

FredT obviously sells a STA of his own... Is there any problem with using the Pioneer 27 with FredT's bp?

What, exactly, did Halcyon have in mind when they "specifically engineered" their bp for use with the Pioneer 27?

Also, FredT says that his bp has some slightly different bends in it over Halcyon's... Can anyone tell me the differences?

Thanks.

seajay,

I have a FredT SST BP, light weight (2-piece) STA and Halcyon 27# Wing. The wing holes line up perfectly with the backplate. I did have to "squeeze" the two rods (that's the "integrated STA") a little to get the STA's to clamp down completely. If you have the same problem, just tighten one STA down, then the other, slowly working the rods in between them. Other than that, it works great! I am very happy with the setup.

I cannot compare it to a Halcyon as I don't own one and have only seen them briefly in a store.

FredT does have more holes drilled (I assume it is for increased compatibility with other wings) and I like the handle slots cut in the sides of the plate.

Thomas

You can also do some surgery on the wing and remove the delrin rods that form the integrated STA - just a small slice with a razor above them, and they slide right out. Use some AquaSeal to suture the cut shut. The STA will rest hard against the wing and backplate then. Sounds a bit dodgey, but works really well, and as long as you are careful while cutting and sealing, there will be no problems. I might post a pic later today of my modified wing.

Or just use the integrated STA without buying another one! The thing I like about having a seperate STA, is that I can just undo the wingnuts on the bolts to take my tank off to get filled - the cam straps permanently live on the tank now, unless I am using rentals on a boat.

Sounds like marketing rhetoric to me. I got my wife a Fred T plate and used it with a 36lb Pioneer wing and STA. Another person I dive with uses a Fred T plate and Explorer wing with doubles. His plates work just fine with Halcyon wings.

Mike

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
The Best person to ask resides on this board,
Hey Fred speak up!!!

Dave:D

Mine are designed to fit anybody's gear, and I do a CIP from customer feedback to make sure it does. Right now I'm on the third generation plate. Each generation has allowed more of a "universal fit" as the other manufacturers change their products.

Mine are a bit different to fit a few other brands hardware as well. As an example the plate web slots fit both the pioneer and the recwing. While it may be possible to fit the X-wing as well, it can't fit all three or the plate web will disappear. This made the STA option the best way to go for the X-wing.

Long plates and light STAS match up well with the Pioneer. If using a short plate and any STA or a heavy STA on a long plate I'd suggest removing the rods from the Pioneer.

FT

I just got my FredT Plate and it is a work of art. I just finished the deburr and buff last night and tested it today, WOW! I love the hand holds, easy to carry with no tank on it. Mine's the heavy SS with the heavy STA, 14lbs I can take off my waist...:) So far 3 of my dive buddies are considering the BP/Wing setup. I'll keep converting as long as FredT keeps making his plate!=-)

I've been scouring this board now for 2-3 weeks researching equipment and
reading people's experiences and opinions, and it's been very helpful. I'm hoping that I can get some good answers to my question(s) once again. First some background (not that it's totally necessary, but it might help).

I just completed my OW one month ago and have a total of 5 OW dives under my belt. After much research (reading only), I have decided that I'm going to get a bp/wings setup. Not only because of the comfort, simplicity, and flexibility that they seem to provide (plus it just looks cool!), but because I know that I want to get into technical/cave diving and perhaps make diving a career (no more desk job for me). Now that I've made my mind up on that, I'm trying to find out as much info as possible on the different brands of components, but particularly the bp (I've already decided that I'm going to get a Halcyon Pioneer wing, but I don't know what size yet). I figured that a backplate was a backplate, but apparently they're not all created equally? Some folks on this board mention bp's made by FredT, others mention Halycon, and I've probably heard of one or two others, but the FredT and the Halcyon are what I'm looking into right now. My question is, which is better, if one can be considered better than the other?

I've already written to Fred and received some info, and I must say that his plate looks really nice (even though I don't know what they're supposed to look like), but how do his plates differ from those from Halcyon? Apparently Fred has a good reputation on this board, but are there any advantages to his over any others? Does anyone on this board have experience with both? Even if not, I would still be interested in hearing experiences having to do with either brand. While I'm certainly not rich (I'm only an aerospace engineer!), cost is not an object when it comes to getting a quality product. I kind of like the idea of supporting the "little guy", and that he hand crafts his products, but does that make them any better? Above all, though, both brands should be able to be equally adaptable to various equipment configurations, correct?

I thank everyone in advance who choose to reply. This board has been a great help to me, and I hope that in time I will be able to contribute something back to the community. I am shocked at how much and how quickly diving has, and is going to change my life (yes, even with just 5 dives). Reading (most) of the posts on this site only reinforces my excitement in the sport. Thanks again.

Mark T (no relation to Fred T :) )

Back
Top Bottom