About gear (setup and order of purchase)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the drysuit first, then rent equipment until you can buy!

here is why:

If you are warm and dry you'll dive a lot more, your season will be longer.
While you're renting try different styles and brands, you'll learn what you like and don't like.

I recently ordered a new DUI drysuit. I've been diving an e-bay drysuit, the idea was that it would allow me to dive more comfortably in cold water, while I saved up for a better one. My plan worked! :wink:

good luck with your decisions

Back inflated BC. I didn’t see anyone mention this for a BC choice. No worries about “squeeze” around your waist with a back inflate.

A BP w/ wings setup is not too much for a newbie either. There are a lot of people on the board that use them so I’m sure you will have no trouble getting suggestions/opinions.

Apparently you MUST do what “Mistress Zenobia (Raviepoo's evil twin)” says. Get a Vyper. I agree with this one. Use it in gauge mode until you decide to use the computer function.

I also think what Phish-phood is doing is a good idea. Try lots of setups to see what you like before you buy.

I went thru all this a few months ago, so I know there are lots of decisions to choose from. The good thing about the board is that someone has experience with the equipment you are checking out.

Good luck and don’t get stressed out! You’ll just want new/different stuff in a few years anyway! :boom:

Daryl

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions!

I recently purchased my first drysuit (procean cholta) and now I'm waiting to get some pockets and a hood glued into it.

I couldn't resist the urge to blow 2hours with that suit in the pool and I also did 2 dives in a quarry only to see how it felt to dive dry, and I tell you one thing; NOTHING, I mean NOTHING beats being warm before, during, and after the dive. Drysuits rock!

I'm wondering how are you supposed to trim the neck and wrist seals, because my neck seal is a bit too tight, and I want to cut it a bit, but since I'm not sure how this is done, I'll leave it to professionals.. :D I already tried to stretch the seal over a tank overnight but it didn't seem to do much..

Suunto once bubbled...
:eek:ut: Hehe, sure, DIR OW... =-)

And because I want springheels, then I need them jetfins, don't I (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Thanks for everyone, keep 'em coming!

I have heard of people putting springs for heel straps on a lot of different fins .I am not saying dont get jet fins because that is what I use .But if you make the spring heel straps yourself you can fit them to most any fin.
Joens

When you purchased your Dry Suit it should have come with instructions on how to correctly size the neck and wrist seals, havaing a tight neck seal IS NOT a good thing. That will trick your heart into slowing down your bood flow becuase it senses high blood pressure. Your Instructor for your Dry Suit class should have covered this with you prior to getting in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom