About to take "the plunge"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likes2Cruise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Tampa Bay area divers (and all other SB members),

My name is Brain and I live in NW Tampa.

My wife and I are about to get our Open Water certification, completing our classes in mid-September. During the first week of October, we will be cruising to Grand Cayman and Cozumel (some other ports too, but those are up in the air due to Dean) and we are looking forward to doing some diving in those locations. I had the opportunity to take Discover SCUBA on our last cruise to Grand Cayman and I am looking forward to doing more diving there, with my wife.

Once we return, we are interested in getting into diving on a regular basis in the 'local' area - day trips from the Tampa area. I am very interested in beginning to get experience in diving on our own, without the immediate assistance of an instructor or DM. This means starting slow and easy, and I would like to have advice regarding some of the easier dives in the areas. I figure my swimming pool will get boring after the first few weeks, and I know there are many springs and some shore dives in the area.

I am also becoming aware that the people on this board are very sociable and helpful and I am expecting to take advantage of that. Reading about the many group dive trips planned, I look forward to being able to participate in some of them, and learn from the experienced divers on this board.

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance you can provide,
Brian

You're on the right path. Get certifide, enjoy your trip and then come back and post away. There is always something going on and there are a lot of very experienced divers around here. You can and will learn a lot from these people. They are frickin fish!!!!!! When you get back if you want we will set up a shore dive or two in Bradenton or Venice. There are always takers for a shore dive meet and greet.

Hello Brian and welcome to scubaboard ....
Grand Cayman love the diving there ... so pretty.
Please be sure to watch the Local Trips and Market Place forum for upcomming trips
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237
and please join any of my posted dives ... although I moved to the east coast :wink:

Please feel free to take advantage all you like ... we have fun here at scubaboard and so will both of you :wink:
Kim P

My girlfriend and I are also new divers and I must say that the folks on ScubBoard ROCK!!! Everyone has been very friendly and helpful. We are going on a cruise 7-14 of October as well. It sounds like the same one you are taking. Is it with Carnival? If so, we took the same one last year and had a blast. Even though we could only snorkel. Well, have fun on the cruise and let me know anytime you want to dive.

J.R.

Welcome, Brian!

jrmfg17:
My girlfriend and I are also new divers and I must say that the folks on ScubBoard ROCK!!! Everyone has been very friendly and helpful. We are going on a cruise 7-14 of October as well. It sounds like the same one you are taking. Is it with Carnival? If so, we took the same one last year and had a blast. Even though we could only snorkel. Well, have fun on the cruise and let me know anytime you want to dive.

J.R.

Taking the Carnival Legend out of Tampa - Sept 30 sailing. Still waiting to see what the true itinerary will be due to the hurricane damage in Costa Maya. This week they are doing Key West and Ocho Rios and skipping Costa Maya and Belize. I really hope they put Belize back on the itinerary - good diving there also.

Brian

Since you're going into Cayman you will have a tough choice. They ferry you into george town dock, and from there if you walk about 1/4 mile to your right (south) along the main road, you will hit Eden Rock / Devils Grotto which is one of the best shore dives you'll find anywhere. You can easily knock out a few dives there and not get bored...

Or you may want to do one of the trips to Stingray city as that is a true unique experience everyone should do at least once.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

i've been diving 7 years and still enjoy the hard concrete site of the pool!!! There are many places around here, enjoy your cruise.

We are getting Brians everywhere ... we should start numbering them ... oldest first ... deepstops :rofl3: you are #1 :wink:
KP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom