Accelerated Divemaster programs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decide what you want out of your divemaster course, then find someone who'll provide that.

If you just want to be a divemaster, meaning being certified, there are lots of places that turn out certified divemasters.

If you want to be a skilled, qualified divemaster, that's a different ball of wax. Look for an instructor with standards above the minimum required by the agencies. The best instructors aren't interested in just cranking out divemasters, they want to train top divemasters, and say things like "I won't certify you until I think your're qualified", or "I don't certify divemasters until they're good enough that I'd hire them"

At that, depending on your actual skill level, you'll find that many of the better instructors will put you off until you have more experience.

Overall, if you're sincerely interested in being a highly qualified divemaster, take your time and become a great diver first, then find the best instructor you can and do it right.

Hear hear ... there's more to being a DM than just book knowledge and demonstrated skills. There's a mindset and awareness that you will only get by diving. Even the best instructors can only teach you things at a certain level ... and although you will see them demonstrate the skills, and hear them explain the knowledge, it won't mean all that much until you experience it.

Gaining that experience before taking the class is something that will benefit you ... both as a DM candidate taking the class and later on as a working DM having to deal with students and inexperienced divers day in and day out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Question one is "why do you want to be a divemaster??"
Question 2 is "where are you going to use this rating?"..
If you want to be a DM to say "I am a DM" then go anywhere and just get it done.....
If you want to use the rating and know what you are doing then I have to say do it locally at the LDS you wish to assist at and eventually perhaps after earning a OWSI rating you would be able to teach for them..
From personal experience I NEVER use a DM that I did not certify.There are too many DM's out there that should not have ow certification much less a DM rating..There are exceptions to every rule but most LDS / an instructors will not give you an chance if you did not train with them..If you are well known in the local industry and go a different LDS to teach and bring something "to the table" then you may have a chance at different LDS..

Every one is different, that's why there are different paths. Technically speaking, zero to hero is when you show up at the IDC a non diver and leave an instructor. The quickest you could do that is just over 6 months IIRC and if you made sure unlimited diving was part of the deal you could easily get in more than 400 dives.

I went to an instructor factory, with just OW and very few dives after certification. 2 months and 200 dives later I had completed up through MSDT Prep, as well as a Draeger Dolphin cert w/21 dives and Cavern/Intro to Cave. I am a fit, athletic, intelligent water person and come from a family of adventurous teachers. I did well enough to be considered for hire by the IDC, but they knew I was returning to Hawaii. Before I left one of the Captains got me guide shifts with one of the neighboring op's, and they would have hired me permanent if I was staying. :eyebrow:

Less than 6 months after starting the Pro path I was working part time at a dive shop in Hawaii. Yes I was still learning on the job, but the job was also paying part of my living. Three years later I was the lead full time instructor for that shop. No it is not easy or probable to do as well as I did; I was both fortunate and lucky to get as much out of it as I did, and I worked side jobs when I had to. :D

Just doing DM at a similar training center might be a little harder IMHO; the students who have done some classes together, last week, are in the training groove. Only you can know if it is something you should do. And then there are the old school farts who are going to hold it against you for the rest of your life that you wouldn't be their gear slave for 6 to 9 months! :shakehead:

Sorry i got around 60 dives now since my advanced course. How much time is involved learning the theory?

It varies widely from person to person. IIRC there are 6 tests you need to do so you can see it as 6 modules that can easily be prepared in 6 weeks if you put the work in.

Why are you interested in becoming a DM?

R..

I'm personally wary of rushed programs, especially for people without years of experience. My LDS had a sort of rushed DM program that I passed on in favor of one on one instruction that was drawn out over the span of however long it took me to feel like I was really qualified to watch over other divers (I'm still in the process - I want to do most of the summer assisting classes and checkout dives till I have everything cold before i let them send for my card). I'm also developing relationships with the shop and instructors and ensuring that they'll hire me once everything is done with.

You can get the bare minimum done in a short period, but why cut corners when essentially being a divemaster - an insured and working one anyway - means you are responsible for other people's lives?

As others have said, if you just want the card for the card, it doesn't matter. But if you actually want to work, taking a longer class from a local shop will give you a better shot at getting work and will make you a better divemaster.

Seems like some of you with hundreds of logged dives are looking down your nose at the OP for asking his question. Sure, I will agree that more dives equates to more dive experience, but more dives certainly doesn't guarantee that a diver actually has better dive skills - not to mention important communication skills or the ability to teach and lead others effectively.

Example: I know a diver with 2,000+ logged dives, yet still has trouble with the RDP!

My .02

:coffee:

Seems like some of you with hundreds of logged dives are looking down your nose at the OP for asking his question. Sure, I will agree that more dives equates to more dive experience, but more dives certainly doesn't guarantee that a diver actually has better dive skills - not to mention important communication skills or the ability to teach and lead others effectively.

Example: I know a diver with 2,000+ logged dives, yet still has trouble with the RDP!

My .02

:coffee:

Not me. I didn't have a huge number of logged dives before I started my divemaster training. But a large majority of those dives were in difficult and advanced conditions. So I know as well as anyone that the number doesn't tell the whole story. I once watched someone with 20+ years of diving stare blank faced at his buddy while his buddy was signaling out of air to him.

That said, I still don't think rushing through is indicative of someone who really takes the added responsibility seriously. Unless he's just in it for the card (which is fine, if that's the case).

Why do you want to be a DM?
What type of "training" do you think you'll get in 12 days?

IMO the mentorship and exposure to a wide variety of students is the key to a good DM program. You would probably be better served doing it with a local LDS/instructor to get the most out of it.

Instead of going somewhere for 12 days to be DM candidate, go on a 12 day diving vacation and take a specialty course or 2 when your there. That will save you money, build up your experience (20-25 dives in a different environment) and when you go home look for mentors locally to help you decide if/when and where to do a DM course.

What's an RDP?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am normally very supportive of DM courses through places like Thailand etc. Zero to Hero if you prefer or similar, but I must say 12 days,
now that is quick could not recommeng that to anyone.
The theory is very important component of DM. The interaction and learning that is achieved by classes is priceless.

Take a holiday,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom