acceptable psi difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabudie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving with a Suunto Cobra since I started diving 14 years ago. I am comfortable with and like this the computer. I have recently purchased a used one for my son to start diving with. I connected both computers and there was a 20psi difference in pressure. Is this an acceptable difference? What is the standard?

of course its acceptable. think about it, with most if not all analog gauges it would be hard to even read a 20psi difference

That would 1/2 of 1% of full scale at 3500lb

That's less than 1% variation between the two - typical brand new dedicated digital pressure gauges (for topside use) are accurate to +/- .25%; an analog pressure gauge to +/- 1%. You can always pay more $$ if you want a more accurate gauge, NIST documentation, etc...

SPGs usually aren't as accurate as their topside counterparts - I've seen a repair spec for one of the major brands where 150psi of variation at 3000 PSI is within acceptable limits (5%).

I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

-B

Generally speaking, whatever is in reserve isn't going to be breathed unless something goes wrong so that 20psi doesn't really matter. I've got gauges that will vary by as much as 100psi but I don't pay it much mind. Gauges are pretty inaccurate and if you need that 20psi at the end you've probably made a lot of bad decisions to land you in that spot as is. I wouldn't worry about it.

That is what I figured and I was not really that concerned but was just checking what the acceptable was. Thank you all for your quick responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom