Computer differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the chart! What’s the source of it?

@scubadada is the source of it. I believe he has put it together from years of experience with various computers and from his in-depth research into the topic. He has posted it and other great materials for community review in other threads.

Hi @Seadogrun

Your Aqua Lung computer runs a decompression algorithm called PZ+. The algorithm was developed by Pelagic Pressure Systems, purchased by Aqua Lung from American Underwater Products (Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis) in 2015. The algorithm is unrelated to Suunto, the Suunto comments do not apply to the discussion. PZ+ is moderate or middle of the road in the spectrum between conservative and liberal Your computer does have a conservatism setting that makes it even more conservative, you would want to make sure it is off.

Your Garmin computer runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C and has three presets and custom settings. The settings use gradient factors (a portion of the maximal exposure allowed by the algorithm). The settings have 2 numbers, GF low/GF high. The GF high dictates the length of NDL for no stop dives. The GF low only applies to decompression dives and dictates the depth of the 1st stop. Your computer has 3 presets, 35/75, 40/85, and 45/95. I assume you actually have your computer set at the least conservative setting (highest GF high), 45/95. If you were using a GF high of 85, the 2 computers would match more closely.

You are correct, the more conservative computer will always control your dive unless you are willing to satisfy any decompression obligation prior to surfacing. If you skip the deco stop on your Aqua Lung, it would lock you out for 24 hours.

Here is a table listing the NDLs for the 3 GF presets and PZ+ using 32%

View attachment 786588

Best of luck with your diving
Thank you very much for this helpful response. I do see that I have the Conservative Factor On with the Aqualung computer so I will turn this feature off. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom