Accident at Alki Cove 1 today -- PLEASE read the links [Links are fixed]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I arrived at Cove 2 today by passing a slew of emergency vehicles. As it turns out, a diver was rescued from deep water, but underwent CPR and was listed in critical condition on arrival to the hospital.

The information I have is that he was separated from his group, and found out of gas. This may or may not be accurate; it doesn't matter.

PLEASE read the following links. There is no reason why anyone should end up out of gas underwater, absent a rare and catastrophic equipment failure. And in that event, a diver and his buddy (or his pony bottle) should be able to make it to the surface alive and whole.

Calculating a safety reserve

General gas management

Avoiding buddy separation

Last edited:
Local News | Diver rescued in West Seattle | Seattle Times Newspaper

Diver rescued in West Seattle
A diver who was missing off Alki Point in West Seattle was rescued 100 feet underwater and rushed to the hospital Saturday.

SEATTLE
A diver who was missing off Alki Point in West Seattle was rescued 100 feet underwater and rushed to the hospital Saturday.

Seattle police say two other divers found the missing man about 100 feet offshore and brought him to the surface. They were hospitalized as a precaution because of their rapid ascent to the surface after finding the missing man.

The missing diver was reported to be in his mid 20s. The other divers were a 52-year-old woman and a man in his mid 20s.

Medics performed CPR on the missing diver before he was rushed to Seattle's Harborview Medical Center.

---

I haven't been able to find anything that could confirm that the diver died, yet; but the reports sound pretty bad- found unconscious in 100 fsw, brought to the surface quickly, cpr administered....Does anyone know anything?

The pictures I've seen show a guy in a wetsuit- that, coupled with the fact that the rescuers were a 52 year old woman, and a man in his 20's kind of lead me to guess that this might have been a class; but that's a pure guess on my part.

The pictures I've seen show a guy in a wetsuit- that, coupled with the fact that the rescuers were a 52 year old woman, and a man in his 20's kind of lead me to guess that this might have been a class; but that's a pure guess on my part.

I had the same thought... purely a guess with zero confirming information, but definitely the same thought.

I f-ing hate these things.

The diver's death is NOT confirmed
edited by almitywife

Welcome to the Boards Vertigoh, and I too hope you are doing well. Keep us updated on events, as every incident can later serve to remind and instruct others on the potential hazards of our chosen sport.

Last edited:
Easy, Veritgoh. Information is difficult to keep straight, no one is slandering you or the victim. You did what you had to do bringing the victim to the surface, you provided any chance the victim may have at survival. TSand M is just passing along info that she has to the diving community. If her information is not correct, it would be much better to post that, and not attack her for having been given the wrong info.
Thank you for posting that the victim has not passed away. That is good news. I hope that you are doing ok, both physically and emotionally after this event. I appreciate what you have done for this diver. Im sure that there will be many scubaboard members that will be praying for his recovery.

Has there been any updated information or events?

Local news are all reporting different stuff. The only consistency is that he's been hospitalized. Although apparently "all three divers were hospitalized with the bends" according to another station which is obviously BS.

Local news are all reporting different stuff. The only consistency is that he's been hospitalized. Although apparently "all three divers were hospitalized with the bends" according to another station which is obviously BS.
Love the media. They are so in tune with the facts......
You hang in there. It is as hard for the rescuer as the victim. You deserve support and help from us. I will give it. I got an emormous amount of support from other SB members when I had to practice my rescue skills and cpr for real recently. They can be a big help.
Hang in there with us, and let us know how this all turns out.

Back
Top Bottom