Accident at Haigh this past weekend....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As one of the rescuers, I was informed that he did not survive. My condolences and prayers go out to his family. I was not informed on C.O.D., but all his equipment was functioning properly, I was with Dave from DUI when the preliminary check was documented by him.

Last edited:
As one of the rescuers, I was informed that he did not survive. My condolences and prayers go out to his family. I was not informed on C.O.D., but all his equipment was functioning properly, I was with Dave from DUI when the preliminary check was documented by him.

That is what I was hoping wasn't true. GREAT JOB DWH!!! I applaud you for all of your efforts!!

Condolences to the family and friends....Great job to the rescuers! I know you all did a great job and that everyone fell into their rescue role like they were supposed to. Unfortunately, we still lost a diver regardless of all of the efforts.

We had a couple Instructors to be, who were supposed to be doing a Rescue Scenario for their IE, and they ended up helping in a real life scenario. The person they were supposed to "rescue" finally ended up surfacing to see everyone doing a great job which he said looked like a textbook scenario.

It's a good thing so many people have the proper training for emergencies like this! The above were CPR Instructors for the Chicago Park District where they also work the rescue boats...I am sure everyone else has had years of training and training others on CPR and such. This guy had the best chance possible with EVERYONE that was out there and the hard work they have done to be prepared for situations like this. My hat truly goes off to all of you...and my heart goes out to the diver!

This is the second issue in about a month. I only wish this guy would have survived like the first one.

This has caused us to purchase an AED. DUI had theirs for the DEMO day....Haighs was out getting new paddles or something. So anyone out diving at Haigh, if you ever need to, we will have Oxygen, CPR Kit, and AED very visible on our tables when we are out there should anyone need them! The others we have always had in the truck, but they will be readily available now for anyone.

Sorry for the long chatter, but we all need to learn and grow from this tragedy. It has really brought all of our staff and divers back to center on diving.....

Mike,
2 of the other rescuers were the chief of paramedics for Chicago, and and a Chicago firefighter/emt that I just certified open water, and they were outstanding, he was getting rescue breaths starting in the water as we were taking up to the beach, and that and CPR didn't miss a beat until the paramedics from Bourbainnais showed up and took over, he was on the AED and oxygen as soon as he was on the shore, I have relived this rescue 50 times in my head, and can't think of one thing that should have been done different. Dick Long told Patrick the rescue was textbook. Thank Gary for his help even on 1 leg! his directing traffic and encouragement was much appreciated as we worked on the diver. BTW, how is my buddy Big Steve doing with his bionic knees?

Mike,
2 of the other rescuers were the chief of paramedics for Chicago, and and a Chicago firefighter/emt that I just certified open water, and they were outstanding, he was getting rescue breaths starting in the water as we were taking up to the beach, and that and CPR didn't miss a beat until the paramedics from Bourbainnais showed up and took over, he was on the AED and oxygen as soon as he was on the shore, I have relived this rescue 50 times in my head, and can't think of one thing that should have been done different. Dick Long told Patrick the rescue was textbook. Thank Gary for his help even on 1 leg! his directing traffic and encouragement was much appreciated as we worked on the diver. BTW, how is my buddy Big Steve doing with his bionic knees?

I will let Gary know :wink:

Steve hasn't even had his surgery yet...keeps getting postponed.

You guys did everything you could have!!

Seeker- Speculation ONLY -- Possible heart attack. From what I HEAR, he was doing the DUI demo days. DUI was saying that he did not wait for an Instructor, and went out diving. Whether that was in a group or solo, I don't know. Came up and said he was cold and having a hard time breathing....

I heard while we were working on him,someone say that he said 3 times he couldn't breathe then went limp, he was unresponsive and had vomitus on his face when we got to him and starting towing him, we never got a pulse or unassisted breath from him, so the heart attack supposition isn't farfetched. When the article was posted, the hospital would not tell the reporter his condition due to HIPA. That article was posted on the internet before I was informed that he did not make it.
Mike, too bad for Steve, they have been bothering him for a while.

Last edited:
An update on the story was posted in The Daily Journal today.
"Kankakee County Coroner Bob Gessner on Wednesday said an autopsy conducted Monday showed that the diver, did not drown. The cause of death may have been a medical condition, Gessner said, but he won't know for one or two weeks, when the toxicology results and other tests are in."
My prayers go out to his family and although the outcome was not as hoped, the people that responded were nothing short of fantastic.

Lee, thanks for the update, it is sad but does highlight the need for regular medical checkups especially for us "older" divers. Thanks for the praise on the rescue efforts, it really does show how training takes over, no thinking, just acting and everyone involved grabbed a role and performed it flawlessly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom