Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a question earlier but didn't get a response. In addition to the proper cave/overhead training, would one ALSO require training in mixed gas decompression techniques in order to safely conduct this dive ? What are the gases that would typically be used for this profile ?

That depends on the training agency. Some agencies teach air/nitrox to this depth. Others teach Trimix. It's a source of much debate and flat out fighting for some. The classes I speak of are Advanced nitrox/deco/Tech cave at a bare minimum. Sidemount and stage would have been a big help as well.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=h7YcJAM8yRQ&feature=channel

This is ocean diving, pierro did this vid, and others, made me watch before I dove it, there is so many caves in the world, this one is far my favorite.

Tn so sorry Ben never probably cave dived in other parts of the world, yet he loved it as i read your post. There are certain features that draw you down there. Good he sent his pic's for you too see, and now remember.

Happy Diving

... What are the gases that would typically be used for this profile ?
Something in the 20/30 range would be fine for bottom gas; one could use multiple deco gasses or just oxygen. But that's just a small part of the problem on a dive to where this poor fellow ended up.
Rick

Last edited:
Something in the 30/20 range would be fine for bottom gas; one could use multiple deco gasses or just oxygen. But that's just a small part of the problem on a dive to where this poor fellow ended up.
Rick

Surely that 30/20 is a mistake Rick? 30% O2 at 150 feet is way too rich. (Assuming he intended to get that deep)

Problems do come up, in that vid where you see the opening of light, I had wife and her brother on first cave dive ever, I turned and the were on bottom stirred it to where I went backwards and grabbed wifes arm and her brothers spg and heades to light as it was getting darker from complete silt out, the longest hundred and fifty feet I dove. Had to wait a day to dive it again. been lucky on many, many cave dives, yet there is always a safety issue somewhere.

Happy Diving

That depends on the training agency. Some agencies teach air/nitrox to this depth. Others teach Trimix. It's a source of much debate and flat out fighting for some. The classes I speak of are Advanced nitrox/deco/Tech cave at a bare minimum. Sidemount and stage would have been a big help as well.
I'll use air that deep in clear tropical open water without much reservation. Personally, if I'm contemplating any penetration below 130' I want to knock the END back to about 100' so Helium's in the mix for me. I have the necessary tickets, but I wouldn't try penetrating a cave or wreck over 150' solo, and silt, and restrictions, and side-to-no-mount under any circumstances, even if I had some "magic" gas.
Rick

Thanks for the responses. I had assumed that this was some sort of tri-mix dive due to the depths. It sounds like in addition to the overhead training/experience, that having experience in the proper use of these gases and decompression techniques is also necessary. In other words, it sounds like even an experienced cave diver could get into trouble in this system if their judgment was impaired by narcosis.

Surely that 30/20 is a mistake Rick? 30% O2 at 150 feet is way too rich. (Assuming he intended to get that deep)
Indeed. 20/30's what I meant. Original post corrected.
AArrgghhh! Bad keyboard!
:shakehead:
Rick

As far as my earlier comment, I stand by it. Once all the info comes out you will be very surprised by what this young man has done to get his adventure fix. I don't think he's a bad person. Every one of us had made mistakes and done things we regret, but his actions condemned him and have endangered the lives of countless rescue personnel. The picture that will be painted is going to be of a person you're not familiar with.

I implore you to stop reading this and stick to the other thread, there will not be any answers here that will help you sleep at night, quite the opposite may be the case.

And I stand by mine.

Are you talking about once all the info comes out to this board or to me personally? Because I assure you I won't be surprised as I already know and then some what he did to get his "adventure fix". There isn't a picture to be painted, honestly. He did what he did. As I said earlier, he was Ben being Ben. I do know that if he thought for a second that he would be endangering anyone else by his actions he wouldn't have done them. Again, he was being overly confident so I really don't think he was thinking in the back of his mind "Oh man if I don't come out, someone could get hurt looking for me" because in Ben's mind no one would be looking for him because he would be coming out, just like he did all the other times he dived. I know my friend, I am familiar with him, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom