Accidents waiting to happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, I'm a new diver, at 40 dives right now, and I dove with someone who had way more experience then me, 100's of dives. At this time I had just completed AOW. He dove fiarly recklessly, and way out of my comfort zone. I dont call him anymore. New divers can make smart decisions too.

When safety is involved, pride has to be set aside and we gotta say what's right. If I'm not comfortable diving somewhere, or not trained to do a certian dive, it's my choice. Worst case, I'll call the dive and come to the top.

Now at the same time, I have talked to other new divers who have done some stupid dives with him too. I try to warn as many as I can, and when the diver tells me about his stories, I just shake my head and say, No thanks.

Sean

Uncle Pug:
.. you realize that they (1) indicate an attitude of carelessness, (2) have a general spirit of unteachableness, and (3) possess an underlying core ego problem.
Rough paraphrase of UP's comment.

Without teachableness the game is over before it's started. The other two traits concern me far less, because at least someone like UP has the potential to help. Without it, nobody can.

UWSojourner:
Rough paraphrase of UP's comment.

Without teachableness the game is over before it's started. The other two traits concern me far less, because at least someone like UP has the potential to help. Without it, nobody can.

Actually, I'm the one with the ego problem ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm the one with the ego problem ... :eyebrow:
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I have a large ego (is that a lego?). Fortunately, one of its primary functions is keeping itself alive. That keeps me a bit on the defensive and teachable. So if I ever get in UP or NWGD country, keep the comments coming :wink:

Uncle Pug:
You see this individual playing on the railroad track and calling others to join in the fun. And you see, from your vantage point, the train that is coming.

What do you do?

Write a vague-ish post without mentioning names and hope that they'll read it and know that you're talking about them. Oh my god, its me isn't it... Pug, you're talking about me! Oh the shame. And here on the internet, in front of everyone, why I oughtta... How could you! Wait a minute, I don't know you.

when the student is ready a teacher will appear.

you can lead a horse....

there are a million homilies describing some people's mind set. and SET (in stone) is the best way to describe them.
only they can change their attitude and that usually takes a life shaking event. if you try you will only piss them off and frustrate yourself.

all one can do is make your case as humbly and rationally as possible and

-get as far away from him as you can (physically and mentally)-

you don't want to become collateral damage when that person goes for the fall.

dt

I had a friend that acted exactly like you have described. He was a careless, brand new diver that wasn't taught right or failed to listen when it was important. Had six dives under his belt and thought he knew it all. He dove out of his limits and training the day after he gained his certification (Black Water Diving, Heavy Current). I had the unfortunate opportunity to dive with him on his fifth dive, he almost killed me that day, but that is a whole other story. It would have been a great dive if I had any other buddy. Afterwards I talked to him about it and he just wasn't having it and told me I was being TOO careful and you can't plan for everything. I then told him if he continued on this path he would come to an abrupt end. A month later it happened... he came home from diving solo and was as white as a ghost. He was missing a fin, mask, flashlight, and all his weights. He still won't talk about what happened that day... but I hope he got the point I was trying to make. Try to make them listen... "tough love" if you have to!

Uncle Pug:
You see this individual playing on the railroad track and calling others to join in the fun. And you see, from your vantage point, the train that is coming.

What do you do?

I don't know that you can do anything.

We talk, we write and we get in the water with people. Some are influenced and some aren't. You can't teach some one who already knows.

Almost every day we read about, and sometimes see, stupid accidents that shouldn't have happened. We're going to see more.

Tell his wife to make sure his insurance policies are all paid up.
- or -
Tell his wife that now would be a good time to take out a big insurance policy on him.
- or -
Start an office pool guessing the date of his demise; take out a large insurance policy on him to be the prize. (Make him ineligible)

Rick

Uncle Pug:
Neither prophet nor soothsayer I am still literate enough to read the handwriting on the wall. What to do with the message however is, I must admit, sometimes perplexing.

You watch the individual from afar through postings on the internet and see that they are taking what appear to you as *chances* but worse... they are involving other new divers in their quest for.... whatever it is.

What do you do?

The best way to avoid an emergency is to not be there when one happens.

You can only do so much to steer other individuals clear of a pending emergency.

I'd option #1 the individual, and not be shy about telling others - specifically - why.

Back
Top Bottom