ACI 2.1.0 Beta Now Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pasting a number in the "working pressure" box doesn't work - the number goes in, but doesn't appear to "count" (the SAC doesn't update, and when changing to another dive I'm not asked if I want to save). Only digits entered from the keyboard appear to work.

It's annoying to have the "DC Modified" flag displayed when all I did was add a working pressure. My computer has no way of knowing working pressure, so I'm not really altering the DC data. However, someone (shop, divemaster, instructor, etc.) looking at the screen could justifiably presume I'd messed with the actual computer data.

Like others, I miss the "Dive Computer" display in the "Dive Details" tab. Without it, I fail to see any point in the forward and back buttons. For that matter, I really miss the "Play" and "Fast Forward" buttons from Version 1. I found it useful to run through the dive and watch what was going on with the computer as the dive progressed. It's really tedious to have to keep stepping through one data point at a time in 2.0.3. (As I said, there's no apparent point to stepping through in 2.1.)

It *STILL* says "Intergrated weights" in the "Gear Bag" tab. I think by now it's extremely clear that correct spelling is not a priority. Would you be willing just to take my word for it that there really are people out there who immediately notice such things and who will take that as evidence of sloppy work? That it's been pointed out with each release, though, makes it seem as if somebody desperately WANTS it spelled wrong. What's up with that?

The Gear Bag is still not at all useful. I recently did 20 dives. During the process, I made 2 weight adjustments. If I change the weight in one dive, it changes in all dives that use that "Gear Bag." That means I need a "Tropical Day No Gloves No Primary Light 10-lb" "Gear Bag" and a "Tropical Day No Gloves No Primary Light 12-lb" one and so on. Each tiny change in gear requires creating an entirely new "Gear Bag" with a unique name. This means that the Gear Bag tab is useless for such important diving-related tasks as keeping track of weight used under varying conditions. I can use memos, but then why bother even to have the Gear Bag tab?

The "Dive History" tab does not update in real time. For example, if I go through each of my old dives and update the working pressure so a SAC will be created, the Dive History tab will, on the first iteration, still show blank max and min SAC's but will be correct after restarting the program. If I do a few at a time, the tab will show the max and min from before the current restart only and does not reflect data entered during the current session.

The System Tray display doesn't seem useful. Double-clicking the icon displays a modal "About" window. Doing this again without first closing that windows gives a Runtime Error 400 and crashes the program. The icon in the tray just causes more clutter with no benefit.

Thank you for:

- fixing SAC calculations. They now match mine (nearly enough, which I presume is mostly due to rounding in the displayed averages vs. true averages)

- having SAC update for old dives once sufficient data (working pressure, cylinder size) has been entered for that dive

- fixing the color theme issue. Now I can use the program even if I use the Silver theme in Windows XP!

Obviously, it's highly inadvisable for anyone to use version 2.1.0beta on anything other than a "play" data file since it can and will permanently and irreparably alter important dive data. Still, the new features are fun to play with.

mstevens:
Thus far, I've only found one very serious problem. A few of my dives now show outrageous average depths.

I'm seeing the same problem on around 10% of the dives. I checked the details of the dive and didn't see any unusual data points that would have skewed the results.

I went through all my dives yesterday and found the same thing as HappyFunBoater...about 10% of my averages are wrong. Same thing for my husband's Oceanic update, so it's obviously a glitch in both programs (which is essential the same anyway).

Has anyone actually tried to do a download yet?
It gets a "Invalid product" for the Aeris AI. Just wondering if this affects
other computers as well.

NOTE: you don't actually have to have any new dives to try this.
Just hook up your Dive computer and try to download, then if it works
don't select any dives and simply exit the download screen.

--- bill

Doug, isn't this the same version number as the beta we downloaded a few weeks ago? If so, does that mean it's the same code? I hope not.

Doug Krause:
We have just uploaded the latest upgrade to the ACI 2.X download/upload USB PC Interface (version 2.1.0). A number of improvements were made based on user feedback. This is a beta version, and will not go "live" on the web site until our dedicated ScubaBoard users give it a spin - I look forward to your comments.

RELEASE NOTES: http://files.diveaeris.com/Software/ACI_2.X_release_beta.txt

2.1.0 FULL VERSION (BETA) http://files.diveaeris.com/Software/ACI_2.1.0_beta.exe

Installation of the full version is required for this beta version, but does NOT require that you uninstall the previous version.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Doug

Below is a list of the problems I found with released version 2.1 of the ACI software last evening. I make these comments based on a background of 34 years of corporate software development experience on the PC, mid-range and mainframe platforms and as a software user for that same length of time.

1. The developer does not have proper data validation within the application. Non-numeric data such as ABC can be typed into almost any numeric field (Working pressure Elapsed Time etc.) without receiving an error message. The developer should have caught these types of error during his/her initial testing. Any developer with more than 6 months of corporate software development experience should never develop any application lacking this basic data validation logic. I teach this to my second semester community college programming students (I have been on the adjunct faculty of a local community college for the last 17 years in addition to being a corporate software developer/architect for 34 years.)

2. If I type ABC in the elapsed time field the software allows me to save the elapsed time with ABC as the elapsed time. This is should have been caught by the software developer during his/her initial testing.

3. If I paste 3000 into the working pressure text box and go to the next dive I don't get prompted to save the dive and the working pressure is not updated.

4. The Working pressure text box should be limited to 4 digits since I know of no SCUBA cylinder with a working pressure anywhere near 10,000 PSI. Standard user interface design principles state that text boxes should be limited to the size that is applicable to the data being entered. For working pressure that size is 4 digits. This is simple changes that will take the developer 2 minutes or less (They simply change the text box length property from 5 to 4)

5. If I type 1:99 for the Prior S.I (surface interval) I don't receive an error message and the program changes the minutes to 00. The program should display an error indicating that the Prior S.I minutes must be between 00 and 59 ans should NEVER arbitrarily change the data entered by the user.

6. The cylinder size text box should be limited to 3 digits since there are no SCUBA tanks in excess of 999 cubic feet. This change will take the developer 2 minutes or less (They simply change the text box length property from 5 to 3).

7. The minimum temperature text box must be changed from 5 positions to 3 positions since the minimum temperature will never exceed 999 degrees.This change will take the developer 2 minutes or less to change (They simply change the text box length property from 5 to 3).

8. The maximum depth text box must changed from 5 positions to 3 positions since the recreational divers will never exceed a depth of 999 feet. This change will take the developer 2 minutes or less to change (They simply change the text box length property from 5 to 3).

9. The Start pressure text box must changed from 5 positions to 4 positions since Scuba regulators can't handle pressures in excess of 9999 PSI. This change will take the developer 2 minutes or less to change (They simply change the text box length property from 5 to 4).

10. The same change in #9 applies to ending pressure.

11. The dive time text box must be limited to a length of 3 positions since nobody can exceed a 999 minutes of dive time. This change will take the developer 2 minutes or less (They simply change the text box length property to a value of 3).

12. There is also another bug that I have to try to reproduce that results in the application blowing up and garbage data being saved to the database.

13. The developer needs to seriously review the exception handling (error trapping) within the application. Unexpected exceptions should be trapped within the application and information about the exception displayed to the user and written to the application event log so that the user can supply them to the software vendor so the problem can be fixed. The problem I am trying to reproduced results in a "Type mismatch 13" dialog being displayed before the application abnormally terminates. A "Type mismatch 13" occurs within a Visual Basic 6 or earlier application when the program tried to put invalid data into a variable name or database field (such as ABC for the tank pressure).

14. I agree with others, the animated display of dive depth progress per unit time from version 1.x was well done and should be put back into the product.

That is all I have for now. I will check later to see if the bugs I reported in the earlier version of the software have been fixed.

P.S.

Several months ago I indicated to the Aeris technical support person that I would volunteer to beta test the next version of the software. I never heard back from him.

My point in taking the time to test the software is NOT to find something to complain about. I am spending the time so that the software can be improved. Improving the software is a win-win situation for both Aeris and the customer. The customer gets a better product and Aeris gets happier customers and the quality product that the developers SHOULD be delivering to Aeris.

I am willing to put together a test procedure for your developer if I no it will actually get used. I am willing to do this at no cost to Aeris since it will benefit ScubaBoard members and other divers who use Aeris dive computers.

Please let me know either way so I know whether I have to allocate my time to put this together.
I also have some suggestions for improving the user interface for the product (not bugs fixes). I am willing to put a prototype together for ScubaBoard members to look at and comment on as long as I know Aeris will seriously consider using it after it has been reviewed by Scuba Board members. In other words, I don't want to do it if the suggestions are going to be ignored by Aeris.

You have good hardware products but the software side of the product line needs improvement.

Hi Doug,

I have been in contact with Aeris already but have more problems. Noticed today that the new software was posted so I downloaded full version and the patch. I installed both but now nothing works. :shakehead I click on dives and get the following:

run time error '339'
component 'ssdw3b32.ocx' or one of its dependancies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Also continue to get gear bag run time error when I select something in the gear bag

run time error '383'
'text' is read only

I will try an uninstall and re-install:confused:

Back
Top Bottom