Acid Reflux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am fairly new to diving and was wondering why it seems that I always seem to have acid reflux toward the end of the dive day. At least, I think it's acid reflux. I start to belch a lot under water and it really burns my throat. Any idea why?

Divers tend to swallow air. If you have a tendency to GERD that one isn't aware of, this would make the GERD more prominent. Treatment is to stop swallowing air, but if this is unavoidable, the treatments for food and possibly medications, as used on the surface, apply to diving: reduce caffeine, light meals before diving, wait over 1 hour after breakfast to dive etc.

Hi av8rfarley32,

Agree with Saturation that swallowing air as the cause of a diver experiencing belching and heartburn toward the end of a dive day needs to be ruled out.

As regards SCUBA, there are a number of factors that could contribute these complaints, including the angles at which a diver may fin, e.g., a prone or even occasionally head down positions; breathing hyperdry air; swallowing air; out of the ordinary or immoderate eating and drinking while on a dive trip; failure to take routine medications as prescribed; and, an excessively constricting weight belt or wetsuit.

Avoid carbonated beverages, caffeinated beverages, chocolate, peppermint and spearmint, acidic fruit juices and fried and fatty foods. Drink beverages at room temp or only slightly chilled/warmed, not hot or cold. Eat food in multiple, small meals across the day. Don't dive or lie down immediately after eating, don't eat evening snacks, and avoid tight clothing and bending over after eating.

If all of the above fail to provide relief, taking antacids (e.g., Tums)and perhaps ranitidine (e.g., Zantac) would provide additional benefit.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Does it effect you at night or any other time except diving? If it messes with your sleep patterns or when you eat different foods, you should get a checkup. Once your pyloric valve on the top of your stomach starts to let food back out, it is a degrading situation that might keep getting worse until you need surgery to fix the problem. If it happens only while diving, take some prilosic (over the counter) a few hours before the dive.

This may or may not apply to your situation.

I had this issue for a few dives, loosening the waist strap on my BCD relieved the issue. I had never used my BCD in warm water before and was cinching the waist strap quite tight, in my dry suit with a couple inches of underwear it is neccesary for a snug fit, but in a 3mm wet suit it was a problem. I doubt a velcro cummerbund would close tightly enough to cause an issue.

You should have listed GERD on your medical release form prior to certification.

:)

~JK

I am fairly new to diving and was wondering why it seems that I always seem to have acid reflux toward the end of the dive day.

Hi OldNSalty,

How would the inquirer have been aware of this prior to cert?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Keep an eye on what you eat between dives. Dive boat food often ends up giving me indigestion on subsequent dives. Had to drop back to granola and power bars and avoiding the boat food.

OldNSalty, you're just going to get NudeDiver on the thread who will tell us to lie about GERD,and then tell us some apocryphal story.

Agree with DocV. Biggest dietary offenders I hear about are juices, fatty foods and carbonated drinks. Were you on a boat, or in a lot of surge? Mild motion sickness can also cause similar symptoms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom