Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

77 and I've been diving (on and off) for 42 years. Got back from Wakatobi about 3 weeks ago. Off to Anilao and Truk in about 3 weeks. 2-3 dive trips to the Coral Triangle a year. Get to Florida to dive BHB every once in a while. Doing easy places now.
….heading to BHB this winter, weather permitting. Lots of unsettled offshore weather so far. …hope it clears up soon. What I like about BHB…it’s sheltered…

Cert. 1979 in Miami. 58yrs old
I mostly cave dive, usually 5-6 dives a month.

I’m 68 and started when I was 13. Gave it up in my late 20’s for career family, etc. and got back into it four years ago to enjoy for retirement. Advanced, Deep, Wreck and Nitrox certified since getting back into it. Can’t get enough of it. Live in upstate NY (Syracuse) so most of my diving is in Lake Ontario and St Lawrence River June through Sept/Oct. Done some Keys and Fla east coast drift dives. Going to Bahamas for first time in March and can’t wait.

Cert. 1979 in Miami. 58yrs old
I mostly cave dive, usually 5-6 dives a month.
Just to comment that you're in such a wonderful location for amazing diving. The Floridian caves are simply sublime and with really easy access.

Alas it's not like that in most locations! Am certain that most people in the US & Canada would be envious of Floridian geology and climate.

My Florida cave diving experience last year has completely ruined my diving! It was so wonderful that I just cannot bring myself to book on a lumpy boat dive in dubious conditions in cold water with generally poor visibility. Cannot wait to get back to Florida for more. Or Mexico for that matter!

Just to comment that you're in such a wonderful location for amazing diving. The Floridian caves are simply sublime and with really easy access.

Alas it's not like that in most locations! Am certain that most people in the US & Canada would be envious of Floridian geology and climate.

My Florida cave diving experience last year has completely ruined my diving! It was so wonderful that I just cannot bring myself to book on a lumpy boat dive in dubious conditions in cold water with generally poor visibility. Cannot wait to get back to Florida for more. Or Mexico for that matter!

I was pretty sure that was going to happen to you! I skipped FL at Christmas last year, but I got my time off approved already for December. Can’t wait to get back there. And Peacock will be cleaned up from storm damage by that time.

I was pretty sure that was going to happen to you! I skipped FL at Christmas last year, but I got my time off approved already for December. Can’t wait to get back there. And Peacock will be cleaned up from storm damage by that time.
68 yrs old. Cert 1970. Currently diving rain or shine once or twice a week in local quarries. Regularly FL caves, some Great Lakes and offshore. Trmix, CCR, if they develop gills I,m in.

63. First certified in 1985, diving 39 years.... travel OC liveaboards, travel CCR cave and wrecks...
bucket list to see yet, Narvik Norway, Bikini Atoll, back to Truk lagoon, more Mexico... west coast Canada.. diving steady...

Hang in there Scott! Improvise, adapt and overcome. Diving is as much about attitude as anything else. Wishing you the best luck.

81 yrs old....started diving '55 with DA2hose, Aquala dry suit, Squale mask and ammo pouch/ plumbers lead wt belt, no BC...deep [200ffw+] diving in Tahoe at age 12 with Nevada Desert Divers who "adopted me"...first cert was '58 LA County; held several instructor and scientific diving certs and county SAR certs...ended professional career as a University DSO for 25 years in '05...still diving and although my love still is with double hose regs, I recently bought XDeep wings for doubles and singles [single valve/manifold units]...but you will never see me with my mask on backwards or without a snorkel! :cool:
Wallowa,

We have a lot in common. I started diving in 1959, and am still diving. I wasn’t certified until 1963, when our high school dive club imported Roy France from LA County. I started diving on a used Healthways Scuba regulator, and then switched to a Healthways Scuba Star single hose regulator. I’ve been diving continuously since, and am still diving at age 78.

Below is a photo I took in the Tualatin River last summer, of the Asian clam infestation. I’ve got a degree in zoology from Oregon State University, but was never able to establish myself in that field, and so proceeded to occupational safety and health. I have a long history in diving, and enjoy evaluating equipment, determining a better BCD (my Para-Sea BC design, patented), and underwater swimming techniques. I also enjoy underwater photography, and you can see the syphons of the Asian clams below, which ODFW considers an invasive species.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 29
Wallowa,

We have a lot in common. I started diving in 1959, and am still diving. I wasn’t certified until 1963, when our high school dive club imported Roy France from LA County. I started diving on a used Healthways Scuba regulator, and then switched to a Healthways Scuba Star single hose regulator. I’ve been diving continuously since, and am still diving at age 78.

Below is a photo I took in the Tualatin River last summer, of the Asian clam infestation. I’ve got a degree in zoology from Oregon State University, but was never able to establish myself in that field, and so proceeded to occupational safety and health. I have a long history in diving, and enjoy evaluating equipment, determining a better BCD (my Para-Sea BC design, patented), and underwater swimming techniques. I also enjoy underwater photography, and you can see the syphons of the Asian clams below, which ODFW considers an invasive species.

SeaRat
John,
Yes....lots of similarities indeed....my B.S. and M.S. are Biological Oceanography from HSU......still have a ton of underwater camera gear and housings, 35mm stuff....[along with a Cannon F1 and Hydro-35 aluminum housing with dome port for 15mm lens...numerous Nikonos cameras/strobes....even an old Seahawk aluminum housing for an Argus C3]...honestly, quit UW photography because it limited my focus and enjoyment UW; 'getting the shot' was just not that important anymore...only took 20 years to figure that out..Avid free diver, but quit hunting.....

But I have never jumped out of an aircraft!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom