Acute Pulmonary Edema on Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
This is a horrifiying topic that I witnessed while on my dive trip to Cozumel. As a diver it was scarey, and as a nurse it was another case of patients that live in denial of their diseases and are determined to act beyond their limitations. The following is an accounting of my witnessing "acute pulmonary edema on ascent".

My roomate and buddy developed severe acute pulmonary edema on ascent from our first wall dive on our second day in Cozumel. She is 67 years old and has been diving for a couple of years now. Our first dive the first day she aborted before we descended stating " It does not feel right, I want to go back to the boat!" At this time she seemed quite stressed and almost panick stricken. Another diver was having a hose problem, so they went back together and his buddy paired with me. Our next dive was made together and she had no problems, atleast none she told us of. Our boat consisted of 23 divers from our LDS that had travelled together, on board we were divided into three groups of 8-9 and each had a DM from the operator, plus DM's from home in each group as well.

My buddy was tired that first day, and took a nap in the afternoon on return to our room. She also went to sleep early that evening. I was not concerned since we had travelled the day before and it had been a long day at her age I thought this not a problem. She was taking medications, of which I did not know the kinds, I did notice that she had several pills loose in plastic baggies, not in prescription bottles. I carry mine all in their bottles with the labels, and I advise anyone on prescirbed medicaitons to do the same.

Second day first dive a wall dive, the dive plan was to go no more than 100 feet, stay together in group. This was a drift dive and we had a professional photographer with us to take photos during the dive. We were the first group to dive from the boat. I told my buddy that I would be taking pictures along the wall, this was my first wall dive and the deepest, I told her I did not plan to go below 90 feet, and if I did it would only be for a short time for a photo. I also, told her that due to wanting extended dive or bottom time I would stay shallower if possible since I am always first to hit the low air time in our group. She told me she had no problem with that plan and she was going to stay just a few feet over me as she did not want to be too deep either. We went on
down and began the dive gradually descending along the wall, I checked to see if she was ok and she responded ok. The photographer took my picture coming through a coral swim through, this was at about 80fsw. On the other side she had found a small sandy patch and had situated herself on that waiting, I again signaled the are you ok, she slowly signaled ok back. The DM called us to continue our dive. At 23 minutes I checked my computer, my depth was 88 feet, air 1200psi and time remaining was 13 minutes, buddy still over me about 6ft and ok on check. I continued along taking more pictures, when I noticed a tendency to lift alerting me that my al tank must have gone down to below 1000psi, I checked and I had 770psi, and 7minutes time remaining, my buddy still over me, I tapped the DM to let him know my air, we were then still at 88fsw. He pulled his octo out and shared his air, signalled to our group to begin a horizontal ascent toward the shallower water. At 30fsw he returned my regulator, gathered us into a group for a group ascent, my buddy still remained slightly over us. We began to ascend, to 15fsw, I maintained my stop but it required alot of concentration as I was very bouyant, being in a group is common for us and we all watch each other, however the current was strong, one of the other groups had a few divers join us that were low on air and my bouyancy was a struggle, I did not see that my buddy had gone on to the surface, I was the first to pop out and it was then that I saw a diver, no gear on towing someone toward our boat, I swam over and saw my buddy being towed, she was short of breath and very grey looking. On the boat one of our group, a physician was on board due to equipment problems. He helped her back on, the DM and our group DM all boarded next then I was helped back. She could not talk was very short of breath and grey. Oxygen was started immediately and she was placed on her left side. She was nauseated, and vomited some, but continued to remain grey. Her color did not return, she had audible rales and began coughing bloody fluid up. All divers back on the boat we began back to the nearest dock where an ambulance was waiting.

The DAN doctor cleared this as non-rapid ascent related. But diagnosed it as acute pulmonary edema, brought on by unstable
hypertension, and use of Sudafed pre dive. My buddy has been told she is to never dive again. She is a fortunate lady to still be alive. We cared for her appropriately and she continued the vacation staying at the hotel and resting while we dove. I assisted her during the surface time when needed. The doctor and I stayed with her the entire way home and helped her in the airports. She is a very determined and headstrong lady, that still is in some denial over the seriousness of her condition. We have since learned she was taking BP medications, what kind she did not even know. She also, had to go to the ER 5 hours after we got home with her BP 240/120, and she then told us her BP has always been difficult to control.

How did she get medical clearance??? I don't know, I suspect that she made light of this and possibly did not document all facts.
I know the waiver we completed for the boat operator did not reflect this. One last thing she did not have DAN insurance. Did not understand the importance of this.

Lessons learned:
1- Be honest about your health.
2-Never dive beyond your capabilities.
3-Always have DAN coverage.
4-If Sudafed is necessary pre dive, don't dive.
5- I will always carry my BP cuff and stethoscope on these trips.

I know this is long but I hope it will help others.

Can someone tell me why sudaphed is not recommended while diving? I know many people, including myself that may use a sudaphed once in a while to keep the sinuses clear. From time to time, I get a reverse block on ascent and sudaphed has been my anti-histamine of choice. I know that I shouldn't dive with a cold or sinus infection (and I don't), however, sometimes the change in weather will cause a little congestion. That is not enough for me to cancel a dive.

Seangel:

Although good, you list is not complete without noting a few things:

1) you need to keep a closer eye on your air. By your own admission you didn't notice how much air was left in your tank until you started to feel buoyant! Might I suggest you think about using "The Rule of Thirds"? After you have used one third of your air, you start to head back; one third to get back to the boat; one third for emergencies.

2) proper weighting. Always take into account the positive buoyancy of AL cylinders when they get under 1200 psi and add about 4 pounds to your weighting. That way you will not have problems at the safety stop.

Not being a healthcare professional I would not venture to draw any conclusions about your buddy. However, from a layman's POV I would agree that she was not being honest about either her health or her diving ability. If she had been honest on her medical questionaire she would not have been allowed to dive without clearance from a physician.

And who knows what kind of medications she was taking that may or may not have reacted with the Psudafed?

There are many pros and cons to using pseudafed prior to diving. No offense, but I belive a hyperbaric healthcare professional/physician would be better qualified to commenting upon it than either of us.

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by seaangel

. . .She was taking medications, of which I did not know the kinds, I did notice that she had several pills loose in plastic baggies, not in prescription bottles. I

. . . The DAN doctor . . diagnosed it as acute pulmonary edema, brought on by unstable hypertension, and use of Sudafed pre dive. We have since learned she was taking BP medications, what kind she did not even know. She also, had to go to the ER 5 hours after we got home with her BP 240/120, and she then told us her BP has always been difficult to control.

How did she get medical clearance???

Lessons learned:
1- Be honest about your health.
2-Never dive beyond your capabilities.
3-Always have DAN coverage.
4-If Sudafed is necessary pre dive, don't dive.
5- I will always carry my BP cuff and stethoscope on these trips.

Quite a story, Seaangel.

For a fit youg individual I doubt pseudoephedrine will be problematic but IT IS NOT AN ANTIHISTAMINE. It acts in a similar way to adrenaline on the regulation of blood pressure, heart rate and peripheral blood supply;- alpha and beta receptor stimulants (agonists). In acts as a degongestant by contracting down the small blood vessels reducing blood flow to the mucus membranes and other tissues. It is also a very mild psychological stimulant, simlilar in action to cocaine.

The commonest prescribed treatment for both hypertension and angina are the beta blockers. They block the beta effects of adrenaline. They protect the heart from ischaemic events by acting as a governor reducing the maximum heart rate and therefore strain. - preventing angina. They also reduce blood pressure.

Clearly pseudoephedrine will not only counter the effects of such medication it will allow the adrenaline released by all the stresses you described to act unopposed and put an unacceptable strain on the heart.

Not a good idea!

In the UK we normally dive in pairs. I would not be at all happy to find that my potential buddy was medically unfit. He is not only a danger to himself he poses a danger to his buddies. Diver rescue is not without its hazzards and what if I needed rescuing by him myself? Some hope!

Unfortunatly there can be no totally effective regulation in amateur sporting events such as diving.
:doctor:

SubMariner, I agree to an extent with you I did require more weight and this trip was a difficult one on several of us to get our weight at the right controls, I have been diving with a Steel 100 and only use 8lbs with a 3mil full suit in salt water. However, this was very different and did not make sense to me or others that were having problems with their weights. I had added up to 12 lbs to start and by my the night dive on the second day I was up to using 14 lbs, twos for trim on each side of tank and ten in my integrated BC that seemed to do the trick. I also, was only wearing a 1.5m dive skin which was less bouyant. Several of the divers were all having difficulty getting their weight right at first.

As for the fact that I was not paying close enough to my air that was not out of the dive plan thay we had set out with we were instructed that the dive would last 30 to 45 minutes or when the first diver reached 700psi. Our local dive group does not go to 700psi we always notify our DM when we reach 1000psi, so theoretically I did pass that mark by not letting my group leader know at that level, but I did notice and check my air at 770psi in time to let the boat DM know so we could start our ascent.
I must also say that I am probably the most anal person when it comes to watching my air and I absolutely do not want to run out. I normally am the first person in our dive groups to signal that I have reached my 1000 mark. My dives over July 4th in West Palm Beach I never returned with less than 1000 in my tank and my air consumption was excellent. These dives in Cozumel were much different, the water was much heavier, currents much stronger. Plus the variable of using Al vs Steel.

Dr. Paul thanks for the info on the BP meds, I truly believe what I witnessed was as a result of heart pump failure related to the increased vasopressures. From what I was told by the Dr. with us the blood collects in the trunk during deeper dives and the heart must pump harder under a normal condition, with a compromised situation the fluid must shift and that shift is to the lungs. As the lungs fill with fluid it becomes more difficult to breath and oxygenation is decreased to the brain, etc. She complained that at 15 feet she felt like she could not breath and that her BC was too tight. On getting out the water all she could say was get it off me. Which we did, we took off her wetsuit and booties as well.

I am enrolled in the next Stress and Rescue class coming up in September which I am sure will be of great benefit to me as a diver and buddy for others.

Thanks for your input. I didn't realize that sudaphed would counteract the affects of my blood pressure medication (I take Cozaar 50 mg daily). I have mild hypertension and my doctor told me I could dive with no problems. However, he did say that if my hypertension worsened with age, I may want to re-look at diving at that time. It hasn't and I still dive. I didn't look at a package of sudaphed before I made my post, so I obviously mis-spoke (wrote) when I said it was an antihistimine. I have used it before diving if I had any thoughts that I might get a reverse block on ascent. Those are very painful and I have one sinus above my left eye that has not cleared twice during ascent in my 14 years of diving. Sudaphed has corrected that problem as far as I can tell.

I have been diving with a Steel 100 and only use 8lbs with a 3mil full suit in salt water. However, this was very different and did not make sense to me or others that were having problems with their weights. I had added up to 12 lbs to start and by my the night dive on the second day I was up to using 14 lbs, twos for trim on each side of tank and ten in my integrated BC that seemed to do the trick. I also, was only wearing a 1.5m dive skin which was less bouyant.

Doesn't that p/o you royally? :(

I too dive steel & am not happy when the weight that used to be on my back now winds up on my hips (etc.) Trust me, you haven't experienced the half of it until you go from diving steel in a trilam drysuit to having to dive dry AL in the Red Sea in a drysuit.

I went from ony needing 11 pounds in the Gulf of Mexico to needing DOUBLE that in the Red Sea! Yes, you read that right... 22 pounds due to switch from steel to AL plus the extra salinity in the Red Sea vs the Gulf of Mexico!

Ok.. I've wandered off topic... enough about that...

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by DennisW
Thanks for your input. I didn't realize that sudaphed would counteract the affects of my blood pressure medication (I take Cozaar 50 mg daily). . .
Ah Dennis,

If there is one thing that is guaranteed to upset doctors is patient self-medication. Unfortunately, as in the US, in the UK an increasing number of over-the-counter preparations are freely available for sale to the unsuspecting public. Not only does this increase retailer's profits it is a good source of government revenue. Sales are taxed in the UK, prescribed medicines are not (Notwithstaning the NHS, even a private precription is except from sales tax ;- VAT).

Now I have got down off my soap box can I make a suggestion?

Nasal and sinus congestion and eustachian tube dysfunction are frequent features of the comon cold and of hayfever - or allergic rhinitis. There are many topical treatments a diver could safely use in preference to a systemic medication such as pseudoephedrine tablets. (I assume sudaphed is in tablet form. It is sold as sudafed tablets over here.)

I commonly prescribe ephedrine nose drops for acutely snuffly babies and xylometazoline 0.5% nasal spray for adults with acute nasal and sinus congestion. There are also the antihistamines of course, which are also available as nasal sprays. I often prescribe azalastine. All of these preparation are quite effective as reach the target organ at an appropraite concentration but as they do not reach the blood in therapeutic concentration they do not interfer with any other medication. By the way, Cozaar or Losartan is not a beta blocker it belongs to a class of drug called the angiotensin receptor antagonists.

It makes a great deal of sense to put the drug where it is needed. Salbutamol (Ventolin?) is used to treat asthma and can be given as an injection in an emergency or as a syrup to infants and young children but most asthmatics use salbutamol inhalers because the same dose reaches the lungs and the side effects of salbutamol (a beta adrenergic stimulant) are very unpleasant indeed.

:doctor:

Usual exemption applies. This post is for educational purposes only.

As for bouyancy. .

To my mind it matters not a jot whether you use an ally or a steel cylinder. The diver MUST be neutrally bouyant at the end of the dive and the only thing that changes during the dive is the weight of gas carried. When filled with 32% Nitrox my twin 300 bar 10s contain over 6 Kg of gas! I have to be overweighted by this amount at the start of any dive or I would start to float when it is used up;- 6 Kg is a lot of bouyancy!

I adjust my weight according to the cylinder I carry and whether I am diving with my extremely bouyant dry suit or my much less bouyant semi-dry.

Thank goodness they invented BCs!

Originally posted by Dr. Paul:

"Ah Dennis,

If there is one thing that is guaranteed to upset doctors is patient self-medication. Unfortunately, as in the US, in the UK an increasing number of over-the-counter preparations are freely available for sale to the unsuspecting public. Not only does this increase retailer's profits it is a good source of government revenue."

I began using sudaphed because it was a suggestion from my Doctor when I had a cold. It doesn't make me drowsy and it clears my sinuses. So, I basically was not self medicated, however, now that I know about it, I'm not going to the Dr. every time I get the sniffles. I am basically extremely healthy and don't have hay fever, asthma, chronic colds, nor am I allergic to anything I know about, etc. Sometimes I get a little congested and if, in my opinion, the condition is not very severe, I will dive after taking a single 4 hour sudaphed tablet. Now that I have researched the issue more, and looked at the DAN reports, I will continue to do so. Since I have only taken sudaphed before a dive on only a handful of occasions, and I have never had any adverse side effects, I deem myself ok. A Doctor may not like a person to do that, but what the heck, I'm an adult and it's my decision to make. Doctors here in the US like their revinues to go up every year and would like us to go see them every time we get the sniffles. I do my best to keep the insurance premiums low in this country.

OK, now I'll get my tongue from my cheek and tell you that I always go to the Dr. when I believe I need to. I really do appreciate you helping me with my own medical education. I had not asked enough questions about Cozaar when it was prescribed, however, changing to Cozaar corrected the reaction I was having from Norvasc. That made me very happy. Again, thanks for the information, you are a true help to everyone here on the board.

Dennis, please be careful when you deem yourself ok, my buddy also deemed herself ok. She had used the Sudafed on other dives and did not feel she had any problem with it either. From my research though and reading up on acute pulmonary edema in another thread on this board, it seems that it could happen to a diver even without the use of the Sudafed, even one without other know medical conditions.

Personnally, I use a family physician who herself is a diver and her husband, a physician as well both dive. I see her regularly and always check to see if I am fit to dive. I do have sinus problems and have had infections treated. I have allergy related problems that bring on them. That said we are trying to get me off medications and are doing allergy shots. My doctor referred me to a specialist, he has recommended me to use a nasal spray every day now to relieve any nasal congestion and keep it maintained open. I have never had a problem with sinus squeeze or a reverse block, primarily after diving though I feel stuffy. It usually clears in a few days with no untoward problems. I also, have excellent BP not elevated at all. I guess I deem myself ok.
too, but rely on my physicians recommendations.

I have used Sudafed pre dive, but mostly I use a decongestant post dive to clear up and be ready for the next day of diving. I also being a Registered Nurse am careful not to mix any medications which can have adverse effects. I try to research them and know what my medications do and what the potential side effects are. I look all of them up in my Nurses Drug Handbook. It never hurts to be knowledgeable especially when it comes to my own safety.

That said, yes we are adults and make the choices. What we should remember is that others may end up dealing with the effects our choices have. I can't shrug off her incident and say oh well she is an adult and made her choices, if she had died what on earth would we have told her family. Oh well, she was a grown woman and should have known better! I doubt that would comfort a grief stricken family. I know my family would be angry that I made poor choices if it were me and I sure don't want to leave them feeling that way about me. I'd rather them believe I did all the safest and most informed choices I could. Diving is risky why compound it. Be Safe and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom