Ad hijack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I need to know exactly WHAT ad. If there's an ad that's not behaving correctly, I can block it. I can't do that if you aren't very, very specific.

Again, I need to know exactly WHAT ad. If there's an ad that's not behaving correctly, I can block it. I can't do that if you aren't very, very specific.
@gopbroek did link earlier in this thread to one he got, which is different than any I've gotten. Oddly enough, as I said previously, I was getting them about every 15-20 minutes Sunday afternoon but haven't gotten one since. If I do gat another, I'll let you know.

I have gotten the “Apple has detected a virus on your iPhone” but the link they want me to click is not to Apple, plus the “You have won a Google giftcard”, but link is not to google, so these are viruses, not ads sold by SCUBABOARD. block using private browser, but I can screenshot to show you what I am getting.

I'm using android so not getting the "Apple" ad, but agree these are either viruses or scams. I don't know about iPhone, but as I said earlier, on android phones, you should be able to just go to the address bar and type in scubaboard or use your bookmark to come right back to SB.

Can't speak for others, but the "ad" that just popped up on my phone appears to portray to know what phone I have... that may be a hint for it being makware on the phone, despite resetting Chrome.... or not, what do I know. Still only occurred browsing SB so far.
Anyway, in case it might help anyone, link of redirective ad below here (this time that is!) as well as a screenshot.:
http://d29t04wh487kds.cloudfront.ne...E8bmYUKAr54v&adx=1&pubid=18270984452&ctype=3#

Screenshot_2017-10-25-13-11-22.png

I've been getting them too. I deleted all history, cookies, cache, etc from my tablet, phone, and Google account history. It seems ok the past few days. Prior to that I "won" a new IPad every 15 minutes and only when visiting SB.

It's pretty easy for a web page to detect and use (in this case, to display back) your phone's device information such as model number. They probably just displayed it to you to try and make you think the ad was really targeting you specifically when it's not. It's a lot like spam that injects the first name of the recipient into the message.

Can't speak for others, but the "ad" that just popped up on my phone appears to portray to know what phone I have... that may be a hint for it being makware on the phone, despite resetting Chrome.... or not, what do I know. Still only occurred browsing SB so far.
Anyway, in case it might help anyone, link of redirective ad below here (this time that is!) as well as a screenshot.:
http://d29t04wh487kds.cloudfront.ne...E8bmYUKAr54v&adx=1&pubid=18270984452&ctype=3#

View attachment 432227
Thanks. That's the info I need.

Back
Top Bottom