Adding Inon lenses to Canon G10 DC28 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After seeing some stunning close up pictures I want to expand my Canon G10’s capabilities by adding Inon Macro and Wide angle lenses.
Inon made a nifty solution for Canon compact housings by supplying a bayonet lens Mount adapter that bolts onto the base plate and holds the wet mount lens at the correct distance in front of the port.
Inon lens mounts cover a very wide range of Canon housings (with round ports) but all the housings with square ports (models G7 to G11 and A610 to A650) are excluded.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for this?
I find it hard to believe that a company as innovative as Inon could be deterred by a square port.
Why did Canon create the square port in the first place – was it to cater for a lens with wider angle of view?
If my assumption is correct then the question is will an add on lens work or will half the viewfinder by obscured by the edges of the ad on lens?

After seeing some stunning close up pictures I want to expand my Canon G10’s capabilities by adding Inon Macro and Wide angle lenses.
Inon made a nifty solution for Canon compact housings by supplying a bayonet lens Mount adapter that bolts onto the base plate and holds the wet mount lens at the correct distance in front of the port.
Inon lens mounts cover a very wide range of Canon housings (with round ports) but all the housings with square ports (models G7 to G11 and A610 to A650) are excluded.
Please excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for this?
I find it hard to believe that a company as innovative as Inon could be deterred by a square port.
Why did Canon create the square port in the first place – was it to cater for a lens with wider angle of view?
If my assumption is correct then the question is will an add on lens work or will half the viewfinder by obscured by the edges of the ad on lens?

The Canon G10/11 have a long zoom lens that is too long to couple with most Inon WAL. Plus, the port distance from lens needed to accommodate the long zoom lens is to great to work with a WAL.

Sorry.
N

You can get domes, such as the one from Fantasea, which will work with your Canon housing. However, they will not really be wide angle, they will just restore the underwater view (28mm) to be as good as the surface view, about 75-80 degrees diagonal field of view.

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lens G10

You can get one of these to mount a 67mm macro lens (looks kludgey to me):

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- EyeDaptor G10-F67

Or you can get the Subsee macro lens and swing-away mount:

https://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/

Inon has the adapter for the G10 WPDC28 case so you can attach the macro lenses

Hi prandyulo

Have you perhaps got the Inon model number of that adapter?
I am in luck that the only Inon agent in Africa is in Cape Town (only 200 km away)
By the looks of Nemrod's reply WAL is out but since our water is mostly low viz I am more worried about the Close up lens anyway. I remember some previous posts (when G10 was still a new camera) that showed some home made solutions to fix Inon lenses - would love to know if it actually yielded good results for close up shots though.

I use the G10 in the Canon housing and an inon wet lens on almost all my dives. I attached it to the front port using a stepper ring and velcro, I put up a bunch of pics showing how to do it. It works flawlessly and can be easily removed at anytime during the dive allowing quick transitions between macro and normal shots. You can also check out my other galleries showing pictures the majority taken with the Canon G10 and all the macro using this setup.

Canon G10 Housing Mod pictures by JayBombs25 - Photobucket

It doesn't look real high tech, but Reef Photo does have a lens adaptor for the G10/WP-DC28.

RPV M67 Mount Base DC28 for Canon WP-DC28, G10

DSC_8051.jpg

The Inon web page does not show an adapter for the DC-28 housing. Of course, maybe Inon forgot they made one? I don't see it.

N

The Inon web page does not show an adapter for the DC-28 housing. Of course, maybe Inon forgot they made one? I don't see it.

N

I'm guessing the "RPV" in the adaptor product description is for Reef Photo and Video and is not manufactured by Inon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom