Additional accessories for GoPro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• lese flat.jpg
    lese flat.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 215
Can anyone recommend a mount set-up?

I'm off to Cozumel in a few weeks and I've just ordered a GoPro with a flat lens and red filter. Any recommendations on how I should hold this guy? Should I make or buy a tray from somewhere? Should I use one of the GoPro mounts?

Thanks!

Can the go pro take pics as well?

Can the go pro take pics as well?

"HD HERO cameras can shoot hands-free, 5 megapixel photos automatically at 2 / 5 / 10 / 30 / and 60 second intervals until the batteries die or the SD card is full (2.5 hours). Or set it to single shot, triple shot, or self timer for more traditional photo taking."

:D

Hey Folks, the GoPro HD is a great little cam. It shoots stills but not of high quality. The addition of a back monitor plus either the Sartek or Eye of Mine housing will help eliminate the soft focus but the cam still retains the fisheye lens look as a result of the lens itself. And you still need video lights, not your UK uw hand held light. No matter what, do not deceive yourselves that this is suitable for producing great films. It just is no where near that level for filming underwater. It is like comparing a point and shoot in a housing to a Sony EX1 or Red one, they are in a whole different class.
Steve

Hey Folks, the GoPro HD is a great little cam. It shoots stills but not of high quality. The addition of a back monitor plus either the Sartek or Eye of Mine housing will help eliminate the soft focus but the cam still retains the fisheye lens look as a result of the lens itself. And you still need video lights, not your UK uw hand held light. No matter what, do not deceive yourselves that this is suitable for producing great films. It just is no where near that level for filming underwater. It is like comparing a point and shoot in a housing to a Sony EX1 or Red one, they are in a whole different class.
Steve

I think most people that are going for the GoPro are aware of this...

There are really a few reasons I like the GoPro:

I'm not a film producer.

I have many hobbies including Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Surfing, Kayaking and Diving (obviously). The Go Pro is excellent for capturing video of these.

I want something Hands-Free.

Something Rugged.

Something Waterproof to depth.

Something that is super lightweight and small.

Something that gives the viewer a sense of First person point of view.

Something that won't break the bank!

The GoPro has all of this. There are not many (if any) top end cameras that can satisfy all of these requirements in a single camera (I won't be mounting a Sony EX1 to my surfboard anytime soon). Obviously if I had someone else to film me whilst surfing, or rock climbing, or following me in a HumVee whilst Mountain Biking, I would suggest they use a high end camera. But as I am doing the filmaking, I will gladly sacrifice a bit of quality for unique footage.

Ultimately, this thread is about GoPro accessories that could be useful in certain situations as per others experiences with them. Thank you for the feedback on the housings and the back monitor and while I appreciate your concern about the quality of GoPro videos, respectfully, this really isn't the place for that discussion.

I guess this is a loaded question with many answers........

I shoot stills with a DSLR in an Ike Housing I am considering attaching the GOPRO to a strobe arm to use as a supplemental camera. Qustions:

When buying the camera I have read that the Eye of Mine housing is better for underwater due to the lens port....do they sell this with the camera as a package. Has there been a fix from GOPRO for underwater shooting

I know they sell the mounts separetly and see that they sell a bike mount which might work with a strobe arm...is this correct

What is the complete cost for the camera and housing.

What other accesories should be purchased with it

Thanks

I shot some video of a red lipped batfish in the Galapagos at 90ft with only ambient light, and the red filter (I use a magic Filter inside the lens) helped tremendously. If I can figure out how to post it, I will.

BTW- I also shot some footage swimming with a penguin at sunset. The video looks much brighter than it actually was. Very good low light results for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom