Additions to the Discover Scuba Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsaxe01:
Hey-
I am planning a Discover Scuba Diving course for a club @ school next month. We are a bunch of high school students looking foward to some fun. Me ( a Rescue Diver) and my friend (Adv. OW) are planning this.
We are looking for a way to spice it up. We are looking for things to add on as interesting tasks or challenges. I guess what I may be asking for is a more mature version of what happens at the Seal Team type events.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks a lot
dEs

I don't lknow if there is a need to have activites in a discover dive. As I'm sure you know it does not come easy to every new diver so job one is not to traumatize anyone. After that help them relax and simply enjoy swimming underwater. Make sure you have enough talent in the water so the newbies feel welcome to sta and get a good sense of the experieince. When I did mine I kinda wanted to be left alone to get into the moment. Add task loading and it will be a blurr.

Pete

Thanks everyone! I think I now have a good idea of what we should do... I can remember my first expierence underwater, and I agree that it can be stressful, but I will bring some games allong if people want to play.

Dive_Girl PNW:
Another simple and inexpensive game you can do is to pick up golf balls and plastic spoons. Have the divers carry the golf balls in the spoon from one end of the pool to the other and pass it off to a second diver.

Or ping-pong balls and spoons for the "upside down" version of the game.... hey, I do live in the southern hemisphere!

It might not be a great idea for your course, but towards the end of our pool work in OW training we turned all the lights off in the pool room and had a great time with dive lights. I don't think I would try that if anyone is feeling a little uncomfortable, but my group really enjoyed it.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom