Question Adhesive removal from red Kraken hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EberWolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently picked up a set of the VDH red hoses for my Kraken. The previous owner used some type of adhesive to hold the hose weights in place.

I've tried picking it off without much success. Is there something I can use to help remove the adhesive that won't affect the hose itself.

Attachments

• P_20231103_155210.jpg
    P_20231103_155210.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P_20231103_155105.jpg
    P_20231103_155105.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
  • P_20231103_155147.jpg
    P_20231103_155147.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 48
  • P_20231103_155046.jpg
    P_20231103_155046.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 54
I suggest having a seamstress sew up a set of slip on hose covers:

Those I am using are official VDH issue covers but only a few sets were made. And put the hose weights back on. I doubt anything that would remove the unknown adhesive would be safe for the hoses. Why an adhesive needed to be used is a question? The hose weights cannot slip off if they are correctly sized to fit inside the corrugations, weird!!

I have decided that the neoprene hoses are superior to the silicone in every way except for solvent resistance perhaps. The issue with silicone is that it is notch sensitive and I have had several sets split on me flooding out the regulator. Once, inside that wreck in Cozumel, I must have bumped something which tore the hose. Another couple of times, once exhaust side, once more inhale side, the hoses just split at the horns. I no longer trust the silicone hoses. Oh, and the plastic hose clamps have done what plastic does and break allowing the horn, ugghh, inhale hose to slip off, always fun! Inhaling seawater is always good for some fun and laughs :shakehead:.

Maybe a BOV is needed:mad: .

Those I am using are official VDH issue covers but only a few sets were made. And put the hose weights back on. I doubt anything that would remove the unknown adhesive would be safe for the hoses. Why an adhesive needed to be used is a question? The hose weights cannot slip off if they are correctly sized to fit inside the corrugations, weird!!

I have decided that the neoprene hoses are superior to the silicone in every way except for solvent resistance perhaps. The issue with silicone is that it is notch sensitive and I have had several sets split on me flooding out the regulator. Once, inside that wreck in Cozumel, I must have bumped something which tore the hose. Another couple of times, once exhaust side, once more inhale side, the hoses just split at the horns. I no longer trust the silicone hoses. Oh, and the plastic hose clamps have done what plastic does and break allowing the horn, ugghh, inhale hose to slip off, always fun! Inhaling seawater is always good for some fun and laughs :shakehead:.

‘Absolutely Cool’ ‘Nemrod’ I like the hose covers. BTW I am buying a used Kraken either on this Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Seller had same problem w/hoses splitting. They have been replaced plus ‘spares’ part of the package. I heard this at WSQ in OH this past August that the Neoprene hoses are a much better choice as well. I have spare clamps to fit as well. GUSH💦 ( yeah, I have experienced…not ‘Fun’…)

Scott G. Bonser
the ‘giantfroginthepool’

P S. Keep the ‘hose weights’ Kraken hoses are a little ‘light’ when diving them. Doubles have enough floatation to begin w/.

I have a set of the the VDH hose guards. I had to stop using them due to them wearing out a bit.
I mostly had to use mine because the hose would grab my beard and pull it out.

I'll have to see if I can get some made here.

Attachments

• IMG-20221024-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221024-WA0000.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 49

I have a set of the the VDH hose guards. I had to stop using them due to them wearing out a bit.

Cool Beard, mine got way too unruly and thin. I see why this is a challenge. Keep on Div in’🤿💦

Is that your beard!!!! Holy cow! I cannot grow a beard but my hair might give your beard a run for the money :wink:.

Same here, the silicone hoses wrapped up my hair and pulled it. Hair is staying, hoses got to go or get covered. Important things first :).

Bryan sent me two sets of hose covers to try out. One set had Velcro closures and it is on Kraken (DD012) and the tube style set which I prefer is on my special issue Kraken.

Fishing rod covers for spinning rods will work. Fold the ends under back into the sock. But, they snatch hair like a mo---! Bald guys could make do. The rod socks also attract fishing lures which tend to bounce off the Cordura covers. But the rod socks can be made over length to fully cover the hoses for swimming around sharp metal.

Edit to add, another solution is to just dive a single hose regulator like normal people :poke:.

Is there something I can use to help remove the adhesive that won't affect the hose itself.
Exacto knives and scissors. Use with extreme caution.

Back
Top Bottom