Adjusting nitrox mix in twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Per what you and @AlexL are saying, it will be the right number out of both posts instantly or at least within a few hours. That is not the case, but if you don't believe us, then by all means, prove us wrong

that's not what i said at all. at least that's not how i intended for it to be taken.

i'm going to concede this discussion, as my statements were for a case (average mix over time) that is not applicable to diving, the dynamic loads of breathing cycles, nor to the OP's original subject. my '50/50' statement was only for a timed average, ie: you take a post and transfill to an empty 3rd tank. i think @tbone1004 's statement of a static '30/70' or '60/40' are a bit off the mark, but they were qualified as slightly hyperbolic. i do agree that density, viscosity, temperature, compressibility and other factors that make gasses non ideal play a large role, especially at higher working pressures. instantaneous mix at the post is going to vary between the tank mixes; in broad strokes with the start of the draw favoring the tank the post is located on due to the lower flow restriction vs the manifold, and the recovery time favoring the other tank as the pressure drop in the tank the post is on increases the pressure differential across the manifold and drives a flow from the other tank back into the first post/tank. next time im able to get a nitrox fills on demand, plan to burn a few cubic foot to partial fill a mismatched air/32 twin set and see what the analyzer spits out on each post just to satisfy my curiosity, then completely drain the air side, and complete the fill on 32.

furthermore, i am in complete agreement with the posters that have stated that the only way to 'fix' a pair of mismatched tanks is to ether drain and start again, or treat them as independent tanks and partial pressure each individually.

finally, i am also in complete agreement with @tbone1004 that diving a set of mismatched manifolded tanks is fundamentally a bad idea, and can easily maim/kill you if you're diving mixes outside the acceptable range of the plan in either tank.

six pages in and nothing

What do you mean? The OP was answered in the first reply. Once the answer is given, a long, tedious, academic discussion about a fine point that is somewhat related to the OP is just The SB Way. :D

If you have a twinset, and there are different mixes in each cylinder in the twinset, they will stay that way and will not "mix" even if the isolator valve has left open and even if you wait days, weeks, or months.
Nitpick: They will mix, given enough days, weeks or months. You know, entropy. But it may take so many days, weeks or months that for all practical purposes, they won't mix enough to make a difference.

Effusion, diffusion, partial pressures and the second law? Anytime you can get all that in one discussion, I'm there! Tedious? Heck, this is the good stuff. Maybe it's so simple to understand that for some people it is boring.

What do you mean? The OP was answered in the first reply. Once the answer is given, a long, tedious, academic discussion about a fine point that is somewhat related to the OP is just The SB Way. :D
I just want to know 100% for sure if the gases in the tanks will mix when the manifold is left open for a few days/weeks/millenia :wink:

OMG, I just looked at my last post - what a monster. What was I thinking? My apologies for going more than a little overboard. (To be honest, I had some real work on my desk I was desperate to avoid.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom