Adobe Photoshop vs Elements vs Lightroom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just invested in the CC Photo Package, as I had to update a bunch of stuff to work with my D500 and there were too many compromises with the older programs. Plus for your $20 a month you get 1TB of cloud storage and a web page to display your stuff. We'll see.

At $240 a year????????????? What if you decide you won't pay the monthly fee, the software stops working?? Do you need internet always on to make the software work or is there a locally, on your computer, installed copy?

If you're buying now Adobe locks you into a subscription for LR, I have been using photoshop for many years (17 years) including Adobe camera raw but I've stopped with CS6 I don't see any need to give Adobe more money for upgrades of dubious value, even the dehaze filter can emulated in PS with levels and clarity.
You could buy LR6 at Amazon as a stand-alone program for $142 (last time I checked about 3 month ago).

I use Lightroom, version 5.7.1.

I don't know what plan Larry has, but the photography plan from adobe is $9.99 per month for LR and PS. You get a copy for local use of course but every 30 days you have to pay and log-in to Adobe. If you are away for more than a month, let Adobe know and everything works fine. Compared to diving/cameras/computers/airline flights $120/year is very very cheap. If you have an older camera that ACR supports and don't plan on upgrading then get the stand alone version. Drink one less beer per week and you are covered.

Cheers
Bill

I have both Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 15. I use PS almost never, LR always...

Both programs can be purchased as stand alone versions, you can buy them at Amazon etc., no need for abonnement and monthly payment (as is with CC versions)...

Wolfgang

If you want software that you can purchase outright, look into Luminar. It is available on a Black Friday sale right now for $99CDN (about $78 US).

I just picked up Luminar and I haven't had a chance to use it to any great extent, but based on what I did see, I really like it.

Luminar is pretty good but doesn't allow browsing—you have to open a file to look at it. (I've used both PS and PS Elements in the distant past—don't remember if they support browsing.)

There are lots of good photo editing apps out there that you can try before you buy. I like DxO Photolab. Great raw support, excellent noise reduction algorithm, and very good local adjustments.

I'm pretty sure that Adobe has announced that the current version is the last version of Lightroom that will be available separately and that updates going forward will be to the CC (subscription) version.

Yes you can use an older PS or Older LR but if you ever get a new camera you will have to do the raw conversion some other way. I like Luminar a lot; but it has a steep learning curve. Of course there is always GIMP (free and mostly works).
Bill

I ended up buying the last standalone version of LR that they offered. I couldn't see paying a monthly fee. The camera I just bought,TG4, works fine with the standalone version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom