Adobe Premier versus Power Director?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you have experience with both of these why do you prefer one over the other?

I've been using Windows Movie Maker, but am sick of it's deficiencies and problems, looking to invest in something more reliable and robust. These 2 seem to have the most potential. Kind of leaning toward Power Director for some of the slicker features, like the beats function for editing to the beat of music, the ability to adjust multiple audio volume across a video to even it out etc... only big reluctance I have on it is reports of it being buggy with bigger projects, crashing and choking is a major pain in the butt and maybe a deal breaker for me, while Premier seems to be pretty robust and stable.

I'm currently using Vegas Pro. I like Adobe Premiere but it has limited/outdated media type sequence library. I have yet to discover how to crate a 1080p/60 sequence in uncompressed AVI or many other formats such as mp4. This is what keeps me from using Premiere. It has a whole bunch of capabilities, you just need to learn how to use them. That's what I was doing at first.

I tried Power Director 11 a bit but I find Vegas Pro to be more robust.

Hi Mike,

Like you, I started out with MovieMaker, back before HD got reasonable for the average consumer to afford. As soon as I went AVCHD in 1080 I had to come up with another solution; at the time MovieMaker didn’t support these HD formats. I went with Power Director, but I had so many crashes using HD files that I gave up after months of frustration and pulling my hair out. I had a few videos that were close to an hour long and Power Director just didn’t cut it, at least not on the computer I had at the time. I ended up going with Final Cut Pro X and a new hi end Mac, and once you take the time to learn how to use it, it’s a dream to edit on. Power Director was a good learning tool to acquaint myself with editing and it did make the learning curve on Final Cut much easier to pick up. If I were you, I’d put Power Director on the back burner if you are looking to edit HD formats of any length. Good luck in your choice!

I used Adobe products for many years until I went AVCHD. Adobe Premiere Elements couldn't handle my file types and the version I was using was very sluggish. I switched to Vegas Movie Studio and have been quite happy with it... it's far more responsive than contemporary versions of Adobe Premiere Elements were with the files I used. No experience with Power Director.

If you have experience with both of these why do you prefer one over the other?

I've been using Windows Movie Maker, but am sick of it's deficiencies and problems, looking to invest in something more reliable and robust. These 2 seem to have the most potential. Kind of leaning toward Power Director for some of the slicker features, like the beats function for editing to the beat of music, the ability to adjust multiple audio volume across a video to even it out etc... only big reluctance I have on it is reports of it being buggy with bigger projects, crashing and choking is a major pain in the butt and maybe a deal breaker for me, while Premier seems to be pretty robust and stable.
Get away from Windows all together and go with a Mac. I hate Windows! All those bugs and crashes drove me crazy!

Please, let's not start a PC vs. Mac debate.

Use the platform you are comfortable with. Plenty of great videos out there made with a Mac and a PC. What made them great was not the type of computer the creator chose to use.

i use vegas pro .... its the best for Hd video.... I have adobe final Cs6 but its really confusing and i would have to watch some training videos on youtube to understand it ..

Still liking Powerdirector with the 12 upgrade. &nbsp;Be careful in comparing systems, a $3K Mac will do much better than a Windows Wallyworld special. &nbsp;You can get comparable or better performance with a "Gaming" windows computer for $1K less (including software) &nbsp;Before you Mac-a-doos start flaming, I have both and have compared; like windows gamer better, although a Mac work station with 2 or 4. quad core Xenon CPUs most definitely beat a less than $2K windows gamer.&nbsp;<br><br>Anyway proof of the pudding is in the eating and here is what Powerdirector 12 can do (I don't have any financial or otherwise interest in Powerdirector or Windows but just want to offer a viewpoint that I wish someone had offered before I bought a Mac and then figured out it wasn't making the trip)

[video=youtube;F2kEhtVOCnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2kEhtVOCnQ&amp;feature=share&amp;list=UUoAm13A1I_ _ivyEMHmIr3hQ&amp;index=1[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom