Advanced class or a specialty class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm already signed up for the advanced open water class, so I'm just double checking...but should I have taken another small/easy specialty type class before?

Absolutely take the class immediately. PADI needs your cash.

If you are taking PADI AOW, be aware that, at the discretion of the instructor, the dives you do in AOW can count toward one of the required dives for the related specialty.

I don't know that reducing one dive from a specialty is a goal but it's nice to know it is possible. Once you get AOW, Rescue and 5 specialties, you will be eligible for the Master Scuba Diver rating. The MSD isn't actually a course, it is recognition for taking the OW, AOW, Rescue and 5 specialties.

So, by all means, do AOW first and get an introduction to 5 specialties. Around here AOW consists of Deep, Search & Recovery, Navigation, Peak Performance Buoyancy and Boat diving. For an additional fee, the Nitrox specialty is included in the same program.

Good luck with your class!

Richard

The only specialty I would consider taking as a newer diver is Nitrox. Advanced is good since you get a little broader view of basic diving, plus a lot of dive boats want to see an AOW card for deeper recreational dives. I think you made the right choice.

you will be eligible for the Master Scuba Diver rating. The MSD isn't actually a course, it is recognition for taking the OW, AOW, Rescue and 5 specialties.

Let me translate.

Master Scuba Diver rating costs you money and in return you get a card. It does nothing for you except costing you money.

Amanda, taking courses means doing more diving. On that basis, the more courses you take with an instructor, the quicker your skill level will ramp up.

The skills you need first are buoyancy and navigation. They are part of the advanced class and hopefully your instructor will take the time to really teach you these skills. Although deep diving is part of the advanced class, real deep diving and other skills will come along with experience. The Nitrox class will help you better understand diving physiology and how gases affect the diver. It is a good class to have completed in your early diving days as well.

Pay little attention to those who feel the overwhelming need to bash PADI, they cannot help themselves.

I applaud your desire to improve and good for you to ask these questions. Dive more, have more fun and enjoy.

Are PADI instructors the only ones charging for instruction? My guess is that all other agencies charge.

Amanda, despite the name, you will find the Advanced Open Water class is not an advanced class. It's designed to follow directly after open water, and none of the dives required will be beyond you. At the end of it, you will have had a few more dives with an instructor, and hopefully have picked up some more bits of information on several topics, but you will not be an "advanced" diver. But, if your instructor is diligent, you will be a little better diver than you were before you took the class.

I'm already signed up for the advanced open water class, so I'm just double checking...but should I have taken another small/easy specialty type class before?

Just take your Advanced class, its will actually have a few specialties included typicaly.

If your with PADI instructors you'll find that you'll get offered MANY specialties just by diving with them.

I'm certified under NAUI but I've been offered from various PADI instructors: Night, Boat, Shore, Fresh Water, Salt Water, Photography, Peak Performance Bouyancy, Envronmental protection, Fish identification, etc. etc.
If I just paid $100 and buy one more dive with them... I could get a patch and a certificate for a specialty in something I was already doing...lol

Thats not a bash on PADI... thats why they are the largest dive certification agency in the world.

Advanced isn't really "advanced" typicaly, its Open Water II not something more exotic. Mostly it lets you dive below the OW depth without violating/voiding your insurnace policy(s).

I think following Advanced OW is normal with Rescue Diver too?

Save the other specialties for specific trips (cave, Wreck) so your fresh on them or refreshers at the start of the diving season the following year... Its also a good point to get the student discounts from many dive shops. Spend the $100 on a specialty and save on equipment items.

Back
Top Bottom