Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After thinking about it on the overnight, I don't think I'll be doing the reel retrieval thing or cut the line off, given some of the comments on this thread, however as per @lermontov, my buddies may be returning along a potentially silted passageway (I'll be last and I'm good with even zero vis).

I'd be more than happy to tell the Dive Op that I plan to run a reel for some light penetration- but what if I do and they say "sorry we can't allow that"?
@norwhal The issue of doing dives with when there is no clear route to the surface, is planning for the worst scenario; going OOG at the furthest point from an exit. Are each of the divers carrying enough gas that if an OOG situation happens there is enough to get all divers out and to the surface. Two divers breathing from the same cylinder can easily consume over 50Lt/min, and with cheap regs beat the 1st stage so it doesn’t deliver the gas required.

The dive profile you posted shows you exceeded the MOD for Nitrox32, for most of it you were pushing the boundary. Neither is good practise.

500 dives, that explains it; your in the death range.. You’re at the point where you know it all. When you get past the thousand you will realise there is a lot more to learn.

I am not a certified tech diver. And atm i dont plan to become one. But i have basic knowledge, because i read a lot(just because i am interested.) and i know my basic knowledge is nothing compared to a trained wreck diver.

But even i was shocked after reading the inital dive plan. And even more, after the plan alternated to leaving the line inside the wreck.

You might be "good" enough to do the dive. But without doubles or enough redundancy this asks for trouble.
Not because of you, but if someone gets panic or just consumes his air faster, then normal.
Or a silt out, or a reg failure, or an entanglement, or a medical issue. There is too much stuff, that could go wrong and will be deadly without enough training and redundancy.

Please dont do that dive.
And please dont leave line in wrecks(if not professional installed)

@norwhal
The dive profile you posted shows you exceeded the MOD for Nitrox32, for most of it you were pushing the boundary. Neither is good practise.

I missed the 32% Nitrox reference. Where did you see that? I've only used 28% on the SG.

32% is fine unless you are going below the top of the well deck. We did the traverse with 32%.

I understand that. I prefer to go to the sand. No issue. I'm trying to find out where the OP mentioned 32%.

I’m trying to get out and dive the SG before too long, as a west coaster I would likely benefit from a guide and the OP definitely would.

Do any of you locals have recommendations?

I’m trying to get out and dive the SG before too long, as a west coaster I would likely benefit from a guide and the OP definitely would.

Do any of you locals have recommendations?
I strongly suggest that you go to the Florida forum and ask the question there. When you are on page 10 of a thread that has pretty much run its course, very few people will be reading your post.

I strongly suggest that you go to the Florida forum and ask the question there. When you are on page 10 of a thread that has pretty much run its course, very few people will be reading your post.

Touché

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom