Advice for 1-day guided dive in SoCal between Christmas and New Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My nephews will be spending the holidays at their grandma's near Laguna this year. They're mid-20's, and OWC, but with little SCUBA experience besides a solid week of tropical diving last year. Would it be practical to get in one day of newbie diving somewhere between San Diego and Laguna with guide / instructor? They'd need to rent everything, so recommendations would be needed for a dive shop, dive location, and a guide or supportive club. I've explained the water will be a bit colder than they've experienced before:rofl3:.

A (day) trip to Catalina or a boat trip isn't out of the question, but they were wondering about shore diving, too. They're in excellent shape, and are responsible young men but they're not experienced enough to dive anywhere without an experienced local.

Any and all advice is appreciated. My brother and sister-in-law are supportive, but don't dive.

Many thanks in advance.
Don Berry

Call Catalina Scuba Luv (310-510-2350) and talk to them about guided dives in the park or on their boat, The Scrambler.

Day or multi-day trip to Avalon and Dive Park. Almost guaranteed decent to outstanding conditions, simple, easy, safe entry and there are a couple good rental/guide outfits there. Multiple dives easy to do. Laguna may well be rough and takes much longer to clear after rain. El Nino expected to make So. Cal a bit rainy this winter. For first temperate, full wetsuit experience its hard to beat Dive Park imho. I dive Laguna but am able to pick and choose when I go and I often choose not to go due to marginal conditions.

My name is Keith. I can take you on a tour of Shaw's cove or Deadman's Reef all in Laguna Beach. PM me if it interest you. I work out of Pacific Wilderness in Orange and San Pedro.

Another option would be to contact Sundiver (Sundiver.net). They have complete rental sets right at the dock and can arrange for a private DM/guide (of course, if arranged before hands). Boat dives, IMHO, could be more enjoyable for newbies then trying shore diving for the first time (it could be very easy in Laguna but only if conditions are just right).

uploadfromtaptalk1446251506775.jpg

Heres what Catalina Dive Park looked like today. Pretty gentle intro to 'beach' diving.

My experience with DM guided shore dives on the California coast has been less than 50% made it due to weather. Catalina much more reliable but it is the ocean. Love Catalina. Hope to get out there again. Just take the Ferry over and hook up with dive op there.

Also did a boat dive at the Point Loma kelp beds with water horse charters (booked through some body else). That was shallow easy and interesting diving.

If the weather is good Do Both. Lot's to choose from. Boat diving will give you the best odds of good diving & the best diver support. But if your in Laguna anyway, take the offer from keithbt*, and go shore diving as well. San Diego has 3 boats to choose from, and offers Kelp & wrecks & lots of shallow dives.Long Beach/San Pedro has several Dive boats (some are better than others) that go to Catalina mostly on weekends, that include meals, snacks. The dive park is Great, and spending the day on Catalina island is an adventure.Bring a camera, Lots to see above & below the surfaceGood DivinSoCalRich

Back
Top Bottom