Advice for a beginner!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for all your advice. I think I might do a discover dive course first and then see about doing the OW after that.

I am slightly worried now about it becoming addictive... Quite a few of my friends do plan all their holidays around it now. That must mean it's worth it though!! You earn money to spend and enjoy it....

I'll have a look in the Indonesian forum too.
thanks
Claire

If you want to do a DSD before you sign up for the OWC, there is a couple of dive operators in Jakarta going to Pulau Seribu, Ujong Kulon or other places for day trips or over the WE.
I'm also living in JKT for the moment, you're most welcome to PM me for my 2 cents about dive operators or dive shops (for gear purchase) in JKT, or dive sites in Indonesia (see also my profile).

Enjoy!!

Davidstealey3:
........you have to see how often the class will meet. it might only be five classes, but they might only do 1 or 2 classes a week. when you figure out where you will be when you decide to take the class, ask people for there opinon about the shop and the instruction that they recived. as for price you have to shop around. it might be more at one place than it is at another. i know are price is 325, but you still have to buy a mask, fins, and snorkel. also will have to buy booties for the checkout dives.
This advice/info is more pertinent to learning to dive in the US/UK than in a resort setting. Most places in resort settings offer the course over 3 or 4 full, and consecutive, days. Also in a resort setting, like Bali, you normally get all the gear you will need for the course included, for rental, in the course price. It is a good idea to look into purchasing a few items for yourself though - ie. mask, fins etc.
The Gilis are a good place to learn also - check out Big Bubble. Then, when you've fell oin love with the underwater world, and are back in Thailand, pop in and say 'hello' on Koh Lanta. :D

Its everything you heard of and then more. Do the full course. PADI is good just be sure you get a world recognized organization. PADI, SSI and NAUI if it was me.

CMAS is more Europe. SDI is less known. YMCA and LA COUNTY to me should be great in the States but less known overseas.

Just think like the Nike ads say, "just do it!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom