Advice for a USAF Dive-Bum??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Grumby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, so I am looking for info on my next duty assignment. I am active duty in the Air Force and wondering about the best USAF assignment in PACAF (the Pacific, for you non-GI types) for diving. Obviously I am leaning towards Kadena (Okinawa), but am also interested in Yokota and Misawa (mainland Japan). I am not counting out Hickam (Hawaii), but would prefer info on the Japanese side of the water.
Weigh in and throw out your 2 cents about the best dive "base of operations". When I get there, I will have no ties and plan to dive as much as possible. I am not against travel and will do almost any sort of diving there is.
If you are there now, or have recently left, or have any intelligent input, I would love to hear your opinion.

I am very partial to Okinawa as we have great beach diving for that after work dive and also boats to some of the best reefs in the world. Also a good base to travel to the rest of Asia. Kadena is a very busy base though and many of our customers that are stationed there say the work/deployment rate keeps them from diving as much as they would like.

Capt Grumby,

I am currently stationed at Yakota AB. To answer your question if Japan is where you want to go I would say try to get to Kadena. Here at Yokota we have an active dive club but the diving is sub-par at best, I'm kind of spoiled being from Florida. We do have some decent diving down in Izu but at most locations your looking at the same things underwater. Diving in this part of Japan is also very expensive to the point of being almost rediculous, not to mention you have to drive anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to get to a dive site. I have heard that the diving down in Okinawa is priced comparible to US prices and some of the best diving is right at the end of the runway. As Japan Diver posted Japan is an awesome place to be to get to other dive locations in the Pacific such as Guam, Palau, Saipan ect. Don't get me wrong I have had a blast diving the mainland and met some great people here but I'm the type of guy who would probably dive in a retention pond just to be underwater. PM me if you have any question and maybe I can help you out.

How about Andersen???

Or Kulis - Kulis is in PACAF

I don't think that any of the diving in mainland Japan will reach the class of Okinawa. Okinawa has it's own diving on the island and the Keramas within reach by boat BUT more than that - it's where you need to start from to get to places like Yonaguni, Miyako, Ishigaki etc.....

So everything that I am seeing so far is confirming my original thoughts and research. Now for a twist ... does anyone know about the dive opportunities in Korea? If I cant go straight from here to Okinawa, I may have to do year in Korea in trade for the Okinawa job.
My goal is to try to pull some strings and go straight to Okinawa (or Hawaii), but you know what they say about "best laid plans". :14:

There is an AF base on the north end of Guam (or AFAIK it's still there). Guam offers excellent diving in it's own right, with deep water critters often seen on offshore dives. It's the only place I ever got a chance to swim with a pod of dolphins once or twice. I was there for two years and couldn't see everything the island offered, although if you owned a boat there (or rented frequently) you could cover many more sites. Moreover, Guam offers a good jumping off point for diving Saipan and Tinian, as well as Palau, Peleliu, and other spots in the Western Carolines.

Dunno what's going on there for you career-wise, but I was stationed on Okinawa for nearly eight months and then Guam for two years, plus dove in the Philippines and mainland Japan, and of those four basic regions I preferred the diving on Guam overall.

Definitely YMMV.

FWIW.

Unfortunantly, my job has no openings on Guam or Kulis (??). The only real possibilities are mainland Japan, Korea, Okinawa, and Hawaii.

Capt,
Don't pass up California and Washington.... Travis AFB CA is about 2.5 hrs from Monterey and some great diving so is McChord in Tacoma...

I would rather be in Okinawa but the West coast isn't that bad....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom