Advice for a USAF Dive-Bum??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been diving in Korea although I know that some does occur there. I'm not sure how close a US base would be to it though. Most of what I've heard about happens on Cheju island off the south coast. I looked at one website for a dive op there once. It was run by a German and the dives didn't look too bad - similar to Japan. It's probably quite hard to get to though for just a 'quick' dive.

Well, in response to Korea. I am Navy, stationed at NAF Atsugi. I have been to 4 ports in Korea more times then I care to talk about (9 visits to Korea). To date, I have not made any dives there. Last two times in we sent emails to several companies near Pusan and received no responses. I even sent an email or two to the aquarium that says you can "shark dive" there. Needless to say, I am about to give up on Korea for diving. If there is any, it must be WORLD CLASS and they want to keep it all to themselves.
I will be in Okinawa REAL SOON and plan on doing some dives with the Torii Beach Dive Locker. I have met the couple that runs it and they are extremely kind folks. I can't wait to dive there. This will be the 4th time making port in Okinawa but the first time I will have time off to dive.
Good luck with where ever you choose. Me personally I would take anything on this side of the world over Hawaii. I say that cuz everyone dives Hawaii, not many people can say they have dived Japan. I can :wink:

I have to vote for Okinawa. We just got extended for 3 more years recently and are happy as all get out about that. Lots of shore dives here (read free) and the boat dives are normally very reasonable! I've heard about diving in Korea but mainly on the east coast and the south coast - no USAF facilities near by. MUCH colder water than Okinawa... The Yellow Sea side (west coast - close to Osan and Kunsan) would have nasty vis if you could dive there...

Winters here in Okinawa are pretty frigid with water temps down to 68 or so (sometimes down to 65!!:11: ) Summers are great with water temps into the low to mid 80s... I know, you west coast guys - our winter temps are warmer than your summer temps... Okinawa rocks!

I have been to both ends on Japan. Misawa and Okinawa and by far I truly love OKinawa for the year around diving that is offered here. I am Tat2diver and have my own shop of base (kadena) on Okinawa. I was stationed in Okinawa once before and spent 7 years in Misawa. For what you will see at either location...please let me be the guiding dive light and tell you that Okinawa is the place to be. When you arrive here I would be more then happy to show you around and take you diving here in Okinawa.

As for Misawa, yes the MWR there did have a small dive operation but you honestly only diving with anything less then a 7mm and hood for 3 months, after that runs the wetsuit and drysuit spectrum. Bottom line.... you want bottom time - come to Okinawa.

http://www.blueoceanscuba.com

The view of life is always better from 130' feet underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom