Advice For Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annie Crawley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone,

There is a lot more people moving from photo to video and interchanging.

Here are a few things to take into consideration when just starting out.

1. Make sure you know how to hover and are a diver that knows all of their scuba diving equipment. You cannot shoot underwater images if you are still trying to figure out how to scuba dive.
2. When you are considering getting a system, always think shooting and editing go hand in hand.
3. Go to your local dive shop and use your video system in the pool first. Put it together and take it apart at least ten times so you know how to do it. After being in the pool, review your images and think of ways you can improve. For instance: manual verse auto focus, white balance, aperture, etc. Can you use these on your camera on land? If you cannot use your camera on land, you will never be able to use it underwater.
4. Download your footage to your computer for review. Play around with it in your editing system.
5. Think of a story you would like to tell with your video camera. Now create a shotlist and story line on how you can tell the story. You can do this on land with your system first and then combine it with underwater footage.

Video is very rewarding. Remember that video is all about motion and you need to give your viewers action. Of course there are many, many more aspects of shooting underwater video, but start with it on land, then in your local pool before going to the Ocean or Lake of your choice!

Hope this helps and others will chime in with their ideas!

Dive Into Your Imagination!
Annie

Hi Annie, I was hoping to get a little guidance on my conundrum over what to do next with my u/w video system. Currently I'm shooting with a Sony PD 170 in a Ikelite housing and while it has served me well since '04 I'm starting to think it's a dinosaur now that everyone is moving to HD. My work is mainly used for a non-profit documentary video series "Scott Tucker's Expedition New England" Welcome to Expedition New England that airs on public access tv systems around the world and 99% of the stations are HD. I'm spoiled after spending about $5,000- on a package back then and the thought over updating my computer / editing system to handle HD is hard to swallow. I'm at a crossroad and hope you can set me straight. Thanks, Scott

Joe,
In a world of ever and faster changing technology it becomes even more important to put your foresight to good use. This has been my business for over 20 years now and, currently, I know of no one who works in SD or says they are deliberately going out to buy an SD cam. While some clients may want the project completed in SD, it is still best to shoot in one of the many HD formats which can then be converted to SD in post and still retain the higher quality of contrast and resolution. In addition, having originally shot in the higher format, you can then go back to the SD project and change it if you want. 5K is a lot of money but that is part of the cost of doing business. If your current computer cannot handle HD and if your resources allow for the expenditure, I would advise getting the best computer you can. I don't know if you are a PC or Mac person or what NLE you are using. Maybe your NLE needs to be upgraded as well. If you are in need of both a new cam/housing/lights system and a new computer, plan on spending much more than 5K.
Steve

Steve, thanks for taking the time to respond. I own a Sony HC 9 that has lots of hours on it. What to you think about grabbing a u/w housing for this for now and then the only thing I'll need is a new computer and software?

Joe,
The HC-9 is a decent entry level HDV camcorder and you can probably buy a used housing for it on here or on wetpixel.com. Remember that you do want video lights for your system. I have extras if you are interested. Now as for the computer and software, I am 100% a Mac guy so I can only advise you on all things Apple.
Steve

Wow I saw your home page.
All the things you have done and have certs for again I say wow but the most impressive is apple instructor for Final Cut. I say this because I have FC Express and I have the book and video study guide that apple sells for $ 50.00 and it is long and slow learning. I just got the Mac Book pro 2009 and I am learning that So then I got a new sony HDR-CX550 and then stingrayG2+ and I am getting the nocturnal light800iex with flex arms in the mail this week. I am sinking and I have not even hit the water yet. Did I make a good Lineup choice.

Yeah, you did fine. Final Cut Express has some serious limitations and you may have to use a free app like MPEG Streamclip to import your AVCHD video files or accept the pain in the butt codec FCE offers (apple intermediate) I would have gone with FCP without question. Your cam and housing choices will do you fine as you climb the learning curve. Since you are on a Mac Book Pro, if you are interested, set up your iChat account which is included and free. I do give lessons over iChat where I can take over your screen or allow you to take over mine. My personal email address is:
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net if you are interested. There are some decent supplimentary materials out there and the companies send them all to me all the darn time but I do not think that they are the way to really learn this stuff.
Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I tried to switch to mac but it was just too much for this old dog. I produce a tv series that puts me very tight on deadlines so I can't have a lot of down time to learn a new system. Final Cut Express "this was about 3 years ago" drove me crazy. I couldn't do the same thing twice. I've had lots of great luck with Ulead since 2001 when I first began editing the series and it has served me well. Right now I'm still doing research and appreciate the feedback. I found a housing from Light and Motion called Stingray it seems to fit the bill nicely. It will interchange with the HC9 as well as two others XR 550v and one other. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom