Advice for Family Florida road trip with some divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topher10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Louisiana but have a work conference in Bonita Springs Florida in July. So my wife and 2 teenagers (daughter and son) are going to road trip it to Bonita Springs and back so they can enjoy the beach while I am at the conference. The basic trip is 2 days/1 night driving to Bonita Springs, 5 nights at the conference resort and 2 days/1 night back home. But we are hoping to add few days going or coming for some additional fun.

With that in mind, both my son and I are certified and I am trying to figure out a way to work in diving without leaving the women for too long. I initially was considering just diving out of Bonita Springs/Ft Myers, but the vibe I get is that this diving is fine but not great. We have done and will do Pensacola/Panama City a lot, and I am guessing its similar. So I was hoping for something different, and considering 2 options (and maybe both):

1. Spring dive on the way down or back. We will be passing by all of the springs (Ginnie, Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, Rainbow, etc). I think it would be fun to do a dive in one of these places. Perhaps even a river dive with my wife and daughter snorkeling or canoeing along with us. I can only hit one of these places on the way through, so which is the one to pick. We have no cave/cavern experience and no intention of pushing it. My son has never been in a spring but I have been to Vortex Springs in the panhandle a few times. I am leaning towards Ginnie, but cannot say why. Devil's den would allow them to snorkel while we dive.

2. Shoot over to the East Coast one day, or perhaps on the way home. My son and I could dive one morning/afternoon and the ladies just enjoy the beach. I am not sure if more beach is worth the effort for them, but perhaps the Atlantic beaches are different. The issue is that the number of sites/options is a bit overwhelming, as we could hit anything from West Palm Beach all the way north to Jacksonville. My initial idea was somewhere in the Jupiter/Stuart area.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I apologize in advance for asking the same questions that have been asked previously. The car will be loaded already without all the dive gear, and so we may skip the diving and do some Everglades stuff, or alternatively hit Universal or something similar on the way back through Orlando.

Rainbow river is a good family dive. IT is a spring fed river. You can have both divers and snorkel. Viz is excellent.

If you do 2 I would say West Palm to Jupiter is the better diving.
North of West Palm a bit is Blue Heron Bridge. It is a famous combined scuba and snorkel site provided you hit around high tide.

Thanks for the advice. It seems that at Rainbow we could have divers and snorklers drifting along at the same time with a boat, which would give the snorklers somewhere to go if they get cold.

Thanks for the advice. It seems that at Rainbow we could have divers and snorklers drifting along at the same time with a boat, which would give the snorklers somewhere to go if they get cold.
I did it with my nondiving wife who just rode the boat. She enjoyed. Boat drifts ahead and she could watch the divers. The clarity is excellent. Note that the water is fed by a spring so temp is in the 70s year around. Snorklers maybe like a wetsuit.

River dive/snorkel/sit on boat sounds perfect, especially for "the women."

Last edited:
I went with American Pro. Boat was a Pontoon boat. So flat and stable. Launched in a state park and rode up stream close to head spring. Then did the drift dive down.

That sounds perfect. Thank you Steve! My daughter is a gamer and will probably be certified soon. So she will have no problem snorkeling and will probably be frustrated that she cannot dive. But my wife is not so keen about the water or especially being cold, and doesn't really enjoy snorkeling. So if the boat is there that gives her an escape, and she might choose to just ride along. I will check with American Pro.

I've done the American Pro trip in the rainbow river too. Its a fun enough bucket list type dive: very shallow and easy. I think they allow snorkelers on the same boat.

I agree that palm beach county is a good choice if you go to the east coast. But note that Pompano has a shallow reef line that can dove or snorkeled. I've been out with South Florida Dive HQ when both divers and snorkelers did the shallow reef. If marine conditions are good, its a very fun dive. Beaches are prettier on the gulf side and west coast of Florida in my opinion. Diving is better on the east coast

Just a heads up and something to watch, but gulf side SW florida got hit in some spots with a bad red tide last week and the resulting fish kill. It can change on a day by day basis and dive boats all talk to each other and know how to 'out-run' it.
Red Tide - Statewide Status

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom