Advice for Newbie: Computer vs Console and Integrated inflator vs Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, thanks for your advice.

Money isn't a huge issue and from reading on the board, I get the feeling that you can grow out of gear - so for the computer, I rather spend less on it now and get a new one for the features I might need further down the track. I am thinking of something like the Suunto Gekko to start off with.

Regulators I will definitely pay abit more for better quality etc. I will get a second octopus - just makes more sense in an emergency environment.

Thanks again everyone!

If you would rather spend less on a computer for now then possibly upgrade in the future might I suggest the Oceanic GEO. I have this wrist mount style computer and I actually wear it everyday as a watch and then the extender strap stays in my dive bag. You wont loose it like some people say because again i wear it as a watch so if I get out of my gear and into clothes I will know im missing my watch. It does Air & N, free diving mode, gauge mode. It is a bit on the smaller side but even without my glasses I have no issues seeing it under the water. Just wanted to give you my thoughts, hope it helped.

Just my personal opinion -- if you are going to dive locally (and thus in somewhat cold water), I wouldn't buy a computer you couldn't get one of Deep Sea Supply's boots for. Putting your computer in a boot with bungied straps is SO nice, because it adjusts as your suit compresses and you don't have to fiddle with a dicey strap while you have thick gloves on, and thus run the risk of losing the gauge altogether. Tobin's boots ROCK!

Sorry for the slightly off topic post... but I have been hearing a lot about these "boots" for the wrist computers. Could you possibly link me to where I could buy one? Thanks!

Sorry for the slightly off topic post... but I have been hearing a lot about these "boots" for the wrist computers. Could you possibly link me to where I could buy one? Thanks!

From DeepSeaSupply. I have one for my SK7, one for my Vyper, and two for my Uwatec BT's. The best upgrade you can get for yourself and instruments. Just follow the instructions for assembly and bungee/ shock cord adjusting.

Thomas

For me I chose a wrist mounted computer (Oceanic VT3) for the following reasons. 1) I wanted all the information displayed in one place. 2) I was concerned over the sensitivity/accuracy of traditional depth gauges. 3) Reading a SPG console when it's tucked into your BCD as annoying and awkward and as you too have noticed...cumbersome.

I enjoy having the AI option with the VT3, plus i found it cheaper with the transmitter than other brands without the transmitter. Even if you don't want AI yet, you may want it in future.... keep that option open.

The air gauge with WM computer is certainly an option and a safe bet. Purely because even with a AI computer, many divers still recommend keeping the air gauge as a backup in case the AI fails.

With the Regulator question..... an integrated inflater provides a nice compact solution over the octo. There are those that say that the Integrated option isn't as comfortable to use (based on what i've read) compared to the traditional 2nd octo with a longer hose. Granted you shouldn't ever have to ever get into a position where you'd need to use the 2nd octo in an emergency situation. But if it does happen you want your buddy to be able surface with you safely.

At the end of the day, all the equipment available today is arguably very reliable.

You just have to decide if you want a very streamlined and minimal set-up (AI computer and Integrated inflater) or with a more traditional set-up.

It's best to look at the type of diving you will be looking at doing. Cave/wreck/tech diving generally have special considerations.

As has already been said every one is different, try a few configurations and see what suites you, also the type of diving you do should influence your gear selection. For what it's worth I like the Octo/inflator, more streamlined, one less hose, and for air share, donate primary and breath of the Octo/inflator yourself. ( I regularly practice oral inflation of my BCD, and with this config. I don't even have to swap the reg for the inflator to do that). I like a console computer, I have always used air integrated, and having it on a console is just one less battery to die, a physical connection removes the uncertainty of radio coms for pressure, it's always there attached to your reg, and not yet another piece of gear that needs to be strapped on when kitting up. All the information is in one place, depth, time, pressure & no deco time, so it's hard to negelct any of them. I have only 1 instrument (Cobra 3) which is an air integrated computer with built in compass, all up light and simple for travel. Having said this I am a pure recreational diver with no aspirations to do Tec (overhead/deco dives). If you may go down that route then gear configuration should probably be very different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom