Advice for taking that first big step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just diving in Key Largo last weekend. The giant stride is just a step. Gotta take that first step to surround yourself in all that coral beauty. No big deal. The DM will help you get up and walk to the back. He/she will then count 1,2,3... All you have to do is walk off the boat. You'll love the warm water and all the marine life. Every time I stride in it reminds me "This is why I wanted to dive." It also makes all the money seem worthwhile. Have a great time. You won't regret it.

P.S. shore entries worry me a little. I'm always worried that I'm going to trip and fall making an ass out of myself.

Just yell, "Cowabunga!!!" and go for it. I don't know what else to tell ya.:D

IMG_6440-1.jpg

Also don't overthink it. It will be very easy and you won't be striding or jumping very far. The Captain or guide on our boat most always walks our divers to the platform (especially in rough seas) holds on to their tank valve until they are ready to go, (this adds a little security kind of like a parent holding on to the seat of a bicycle) tells you right hand holds mask and reg left hand on weight belt and then you just stride in when you are ready. We will be right there with you to talk you through it!

Ha, I was looking for that pic too... the nutcracker!

Almost lost a fin on that one. Had to do a quick descend to retrieve the right fin.:shakehead:

Seriously, the thing about the giant stride is that to do exactly what the words meant. take a Giant Stride.

Lots of people barely step out and risk hitting the boat. Or they try to jump out but done it in a half measured manners (more like a tiny hop) and also risk hitting the boat because of lack of clearance.

Do a massive step like you're trying to do a split.

All great advice. I double check that BCD has air in it after pre-dive. Also important is if you use weight belt, hold the buckle.
OND

I always enter the water first when my students are doing the giant stride so that I can talk them through it. There are two things in particular, beyond what has already been mentioned that I call out to them:
1) "Look at me!" This is so that they don't look down to see where they're going (it's only water). Looking down changes the weight balance and can make the entry awkward and uncomfortable. So just stand up straight and look ahead.
2) "Take a big step with one leg only." Don't jump! Extend your dominant leg and leave the other foot on the boat as long as you can. This prevents hopping, which has the disadvantage of putting very little space between your gear and the edge of the dive platform. Most new divers hop, so most of our boat crews give the divers a little shove to make sure they are far enough away from the boat for safety.

There was a similar thread here about a month ago except that OP was expressing concerns over her upcoming back roll entry. Just like this thread, she got lots of great advice on how to do the back roll and just as importantly how to manage, if not overcome, her concerns.

Afterwards, she came back on to report that everything went very well.

I bet that's what's going to happen here, too.

The point is, you'll do fine. If you're brave enough to breathe underwater, you're plenty brave enough to effect entry. Just remember your training. After the first time, you'll think "gee, that wasn't so bad." On the second time, you'll be better at it and after the third time you'll be a pro.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom