Advice: French Polynesia exposure suit and film

What 1 exposure suit would you bring to dive in French Polynesia?

• Shorty

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 3 mm full body wetsuit

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 5 mm full body wetsuit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • skin or none!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratherbediving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to French Polynesia for my honeymoon. We'll be there for 32 days....trip of a lifetime and we can't wait!

We'll be diving in Bora Bora, Moorea, Manihi, Fakarava, Nuka Hiva and snorkelling in Rurutu. What 1 exposure suit would you bring?

Also, I've read that the limit on bringing film is 10 rolls per person. Are they really that strict with this? I think I'd like to bring closer to 40. Divide that between the 2 of us and it's 20 rolls per person.

My new husband and I went to French Polynesia (Moorea, Bora Bora, Tahiti and Rangiroa) for our honeymoon in March and we had a fabulous time. The water temp at that time was in the mid 80's F. I had my 3 mm and my husband had his 3/5 and we were more than warm enough. Other people were diving in shorties and skins, but I am always cold so I would never use less than a 3 mm personally.
They didn't bother us about the film. I don't remember exactly how many rolls I had, but it was more than 15. What was a problem was having to pay the excess bagage fees on the inter-island flights for the dive gear!
Congradulations! and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

My partner and I spent 2 weeks in FP for our 20th Anniversary in March of 2002. I'm pretty sure we just wore skins the whole time, although Lyd MAY have worn her full 3 mil on the night dive, I really can't remember.

Considering the inter-island flight luggage restrictions, my first choice would be to bring my own critical life support equipment, and rent a suit if doing a lot of repetetive diving. Remember, surface intervals will give you plenty of time to warm up, unless you're traveling during the rainy season.

Have Fun!
Scuba-sass :)

I dove Bora Bora, Manihi and Tikehau. I wore a shorty at first (rented) but wound up diving in my trunks. By any measure it was almost 40 degrees warmer then the quarry I usually dive in. After two tanks in the morning I laid out in the sun on the beach or by the pool. No problem!

They could have cared less how much film you had. One security gaurd did ask if I had film. But that was because of the x-ray device. He was being considerate!

32 days? Hmmmm. Long enough to find a job! Hmmmm..........

Its personal preference ..... We brought 1mm "skins" and were quite happy (typically 2 dives a day) Seemed all of the DM's had full suits (3mm) but the dive center seemed to only have shortys available....

I think we appreciated them most on a couple of dives that we surfaced to tropical downpours ..... while running back to the dive center it got chilly!!!!! :wacko:

Inside the lagoon at Manihi (the Circus) is nothing but volcanic rock and dead coral .... you find a rock and hang out as you wait for the Mantas to appear. A couple of divers got a little scratched up by banging around (really poor buoyancy) on this stuff.....

Our trip was in Sept/Oct and the water temp was always around 80 degrees F...If I recall one spot, Muri Muri , in Bora Bora ... north of the outer reef (airport side) the water seemed a little cooler as it was exposed ocean(weather or windward side) not sheltered by the Island as with the other spots.

As Scuba-sass mentions ...watch the weight limits on the inter- island flights...that can hurt

By the way scuba-sass.... how are you ???

If your diving frequently and do get cold easily … I would go with ( at the minimum ) the 3mm suit

Thanks for the feedback! Only 25 days to go!

I normally dive in the Carribbean with a Henderson Microprene. When we go on live-aboard trips I start to get cold in the second day because we usually do the full offering of 4 - 5 dives per day. I expect the most we'll be doing on this trip will be 3 per day. Contemplating buying a new 3mm Henderson gold. Paul normally dives with a shorty, but we're a bit concerned about the banging around we might get on the pass dives in Fakarava.

Does anyone know.....is there any E6 film processing in Manihi or Bora Bora?

I've got some new camera equipment and I'd like to get some film developed in Manihi and/or Bora Bora (since these are the first stops on our tour) to make sure I'm using it right.

I've been using my Sea & Sea MMIIEX for a couple years now, but just got a second strobe to use with my wide angle which I haven't had too much luck with up to now...probably because I didn't have the 2nd strobe.

ratherbediving once bubbled...
Thanks for the feedback! Only 25 days to go!

I normally dive in the Carribbean with a Henderson Microprene. When we go on live-aboard trips I start to get cold in the second day because we usually do the full offering of 4 - 5 dives per day. I expect the most we'll be doing on this trip will be 3 per day. Contemplating buying a new 3mm Henderson gold. Paul normally dives with a shorty, but we're a bit concerned about the banging around we might get on the pass dives in Fakarava.

Does anyone know.....is there any E6 film processing in Manihi or Bora Bora?

Henderson skin would work ... but if you get cold .... you know the rest of the story.... and as far as diving…. many days 2 dives was the max and depending on interest they would add a third. I'm sure you already know what a dive in French Polynesia costs :wacko:

As far as developing goes ....You may run into some trouble there

Bora Bora has a few more dive shops ... but I still dont know if you'll find processing ..... Manihi .... not a chance… you'll see what I mean when you get there ..... its an atoll in the middle of no where with very little to do ..... ITS AWESOME !!!!! but that doesnt help with your film. Things are much slower there ...we mailed post cards from Manihi and I think they got to the states about 4 weeks later. We purchased a Tiki Mask on Bora Bora and had it shipped back here and that took 6 weeks :eek:

I would email the dive centers you plan on using and ask them about film processing….. PLEASE if you would Say Hi to Thierry at Blue Nui Manihi….. Tell him Scott and Robin aka “Finesse” say Hi !!!! Thierry is a member of this board but haven’t seen him for months …he said the internet connection speed is slower than the mail !!!

If you are diving with Blue Nui on Bora Bora I will get you there email …They are very helpful !!!!

25 days ....I DONT LIKE YOU :eek:ut: :wink:

Scott

Don't want to hijack this thread, but thinking of heading to B B for a 30 th. anny. trip.
Is there enough varied diving for a week's worth of 2-3 dives a day. We usally do liveaboards in the Caribbean. Thinking of going in May, unless other months are better, prefer calmer and warmer waters. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom