Advice needed Dive Cruise Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetfixer:
hi oversea,
which islands did you visit and where was the best diving?
We basically visited all of them. I dove oahu, specifically diamondhead and in maui. I have not been around the world much but the dives I had done there were nothing short of amazing.

jetfixer:
Aloha! Can anyone suggest a 7 day Hawaiian Island Cruise centered around diving? Live aboard? Charter? NCL?
The manta ray night dive off the Kona coast is a unique experience. Divers all sit in a circle and point their flashlights upward. The mantas sweep by right at the lights. It's a breath-taking experience to see these huge creatures coming right at you at night.

I've heard good things about Kona Coast Divers, Jack's Diving Locker, and there's another that starts with an M and has a Hawaiian name. That one uses a bigger dual-haul boat.

Only Agressor has a live aboard. There ate tons of day trip operators out there, just find out where they intend to take you! Nothing like paying for a boat dive only to stop 200 yards outside the harbor.

Wildcard:
Only Agressor has a live aboard. There ate tons of day trip operators out there, just find out where they intend to take you! Nothing like paying for a boat dive only to stop 200 yards outside the harbor.

Thanks for all the input. The only reason we were thinking live aboard or cruise ship is that there are no wasted "flying days" interisland. I do like wildcard's idea of renting a jeep and exploring. We did this in cozumel. Maybe we need to pick just one island to explore...maybe Kona? The night manta dive sounds awesome!

That was a good thought -- it's just too bad that the only liveaboard there does not island hop. :)

There's an idea for a new business, though... anyone have the cash to invest? I'll go over and run it! :)

Like I said, do the north Hawaiis and Im in!
Starting in 06/07ish there is "supposed" to be a new high speed interisland ferry. As soon as it happens Im buying a mini motorhome. For long weekends just throw a cooler of food and drink and your dive gear and dive a different island every time!

If you want something to drool over while planing your trip order a map from Franko's maps. It's a 16x24 ish lamanated dive and road map of the island showing the best dive spots and highlights. About $10 I think. Also lots of B&Bs up and down the coast to stay at while exploring.

jetfixer:
Thanks for all the input. The only reason we were thinking live aboard or cruise ship is that there are no wasted "flying days" interisland. I do like wildcard's idea of renting a jeep and exploring. We did this in cozumel. Maybe we need to pick just one island to explore...maybe Kona? The night manta dive sounds awesome!
I've only been to Hawaii once, but we did quite a bit of exploring on the Big Island. We would search out isolated beaches for swimming and snorkling. Most of the beaches weren't all that easily accessible. We did a lot of hiking down steep triails and often took our rental car on dirt roads to get to some of these beaches (a violation of most rental agreements).

At one spot, we ended up swimming about a half a mile into a snorkling spot. Typically, people were renting kayaks to get there. Swimming it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do because currents there can be strong and unpredictable.

I very well could be wrong, but I just didn't see many convenient spots for shore diving. I would do your homework before you decide to venture out on your own. My advice, which I'm sure others will disagree with, is to do some boat dives with a good divemaster while in Kona.

I hear Maui has lots of shore dives. Kona is GREAT though. I'd also check out the Volcano National Park. I attached a photo below

Below are photos I took of some of the coves and beaches we explored. I also have some unsolicited restaurant recommendations from a guy who enjoys eating just about everything.

After going to the Volcano National Park, we ate at a really cool restaurant called the Lava Lounge right outside the park...live entertainment, good food, and reasonably priced. We also liked Oodles of Noodles (classier than its name suggests and interesting, delicious food); Cassandra's (Greek food that I've heard others say they didn't like..it was one of my favs); Cafe Pesto (a little pricey but great); and Kona Brewing Co. (relaxed atmosphere and good 'ole American food and beer).

I had a thought, there are also motorhomes available for rent here.

jetfixer:
Aloha! Can anyone suggest a 7 day Hawaiian Island Cruise centered around diving? Live aboard? Charter? NCL?
If you are looking into a Live Aboard on the Kona Agressor you may want to check out their site. www.aggressor.com , The rates and dive destinations are shown. The chef and crew are great being personal friends and myself working occasionaly on the aggressor. Its a great experience if your intentions are diving and they go to many sites that are not accesible by vehicle. Only by a water vessel. They go south down the coast approximately 47 miles from the pier located in Kona. The service is very professional and a very rewarding experience. The site should answer all your questions. Enjoy your vacation and let me know if you decide on the aggressor. Maybe I'll see you.

Back
Top Bottom