Advice Needed: Diving in Ft Lauderdale & Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethbsting

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are looking at making a trip to the Keys and Ft. Lauderdale to dive and will more than likely fly into Ft. Lauderdale. We will rent a car, and would like to have 4 or 5 days of diving. We have done about 70 dives and would like to dive some wrecks (for the first time) and good reefs as well. We would prefer wrecks that are accessible above 90 feet.

We have never been to the Keys or Ft. Lauderdale and thus, we would love some advice on the following:

1) Where to dive reefs and wrecks (Ft. Lauderdale area, Upper, Middle or Lower Keys?)
2) Who to dive with in that area of the Keys/ Ft Lauderdale?
3) Where to stay that is close to diving that is clean and has nice bed linens (no Motel 6 type places but it does not need to be the Four Seasons either)?
4) Any must see land diversions or places to eat?

Thanks for your help!

Out of Pompano the wrecks regularly visited are the "Sea Emporer" and the
"Ancient Mariner". These are both medium depth wrecks and in a slightly
different category than the Spiegel, Duane, and Eagle which are deeper and can
involve more challanging conditions on a tough day, on a good day these
are great dives for skilled divers. I think the Ancient Mariner is a good wreck to get
the feel for wreck diving, it has enough character to be interesting yet is small
enough to navigate fairly easily. I just did the "Jay Scutti" wreck out of Lauderdale
and it was a good dive, this is in the same medium depth category. I recorded 73 ft.
on the "Jay Scutti".

Pick up a copy of Ned Deloaches' Guide to Underwater Florida. Lots of good info.

Lots of good diving in the Keys... Benwood, City of Washington, Speigel Grove are all decent dives... especially if you build up to do the Speigel towards the end of your trip (you'll be all tuned up on the shallower dives and comfortable in the water). As the post above says, Speigel, Duane, Bibb can get a little more challenging. On good days easy diving, on bad days.... bad.

Would recommend a night dive on the City of Washington or Benwood... see it during the daytime and come back at dusk to start your dive. Much different wildlife and a super dive!

We were there in Feb. We dove with Sea Dwellers in Key Largo, mostly reefs, and then went to Ft. L and dove with Parrot Island Scuba Adventures, Located in Pompano Beach Florida, North of Fort Lauderdale. Were we did both reefs and wrecks

Have fun

Brent is right. You can get everything you want right in Key Largo and/or Islamorada (they are only 16 miles apart). Plenty of reef and wreck diving and very decent 3 star accomodations. It's just so easy to "get around" in the upper Keys. It's nice drive a mile or two from you hotel and there's the dive shop and boat. Not to take away anything from the other suggestions here but Key Largo fits your requirements exactly.

Definitely cannot go wrong with Largo. As has been mentioned, everything is very close, so you won't waste your time driving from here to there. For a quick bite, try Hobo's, Atlantic side near MM#104.

As for the diving, all the wrecks listed are well worth the time, although the Spiegel, Duane & Eagle can be a bit challenging. My last time down there we finally got to do the Duane, which was a truly amazing experience. ~80ft depth, with a ~10k current. Good times!

10 knot current? And they let you dive?

UTKnox:
Definitely cannot go wrong with Largo. As has been mentioned, everything is very close, so you won't waste your time driving from here to there. For a quick bite, try Hobos, Atlantic side near MM#104.

As for the diving, all the wrecks listed are well worth the time, although the Spiegel, Duane & Eagle can be a bit challenging. My last time down there we finally got to do the Duane, which was a truly amazing experience. ~80ft depth, with a ~10k current. Good times!

Hobo's used to bel located bayside at MM104. Last Summer they move the place to 101.6 Oceanside. Same food, just a bigger place. Due to the wood paneling (including the ceiling) the place is very noisy.

Ok, here it goes...IMHO: The best Keys diving for wrecks and reefs are the Key Largo area. Lots of big wrecks ranging in depth and good reefs to dive too. I would only recommend "Conch Republic Divers" in Tavernier. Thats only about 15 mins away from Key Largo. They even have an apartment you can rent from them. John Pennecampe state park is right there and the reefs are pretty nice.

Key West has some ok diving in my opinion. The few wrecks I've been on have been ok, nothing spectacular. The reefs are good but seem to be getting pretty washed out over the past few years. If you dive in Key West I recommend Captain's Corner. They are a great dive op and have the best prices in town.

If you stay in Key Largo, or even drive through on your way south, make sure you stop off at the "Fish House" for a fish sandwich and a cup of chowder :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom