Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point Debby, you need to seek my input.
:rofl3:

Chug
In no hurry.
Will be visiting.

The problem with the Hilo side is that it is wet and moldy, everything molds, and that I do react to ... rather strongly. I don't even like to stay overnight in an older, well maintained home.

Mold can also be a very real problem at the higher elevations on the Kona side too, e.g. upslope in Kealakekua and Captain Cook (which tend to be wetter than HOVE). We have friends who had to move from their place on upper Seigangi Mission Rd in Captain Cook (~2500 foot level) to here in town because of mold. I imagine that the same would hold true for wet side Waimea (vs. dry side Waimea), and upslope at Kaloko. We have some friends that live at the 2300 foot level in Kaloko without egregious mold problems, but they're at a pretty low elevation (read: drier) for that area.

Last edited:
We live on the windward side of Oahu, directly on the marsh. So we get plenty wet. I used to use those Damp rid hanger thingies that are supposed to last for 4 weeks, they were dissolved and full of water in a week. We had to put one of those electric dehumidifiers in our closets to keep our stuff dry.

I'm at 900 feet above Kealakekua Bay and we'll get mold issues in August/September if we're not paying attention. I suspect 200 feet directly lower it's practically non-existant, 300-400 feet directly higher it's probably worse. We've found it attacks refridgerator sides, leather shoes and certain types of wood (mold loves our coconut furniture). Usually one good wipedown with a vinegar water mix the moment we notice it does the trick at our place, higher elevations with wetter conditions, or wet areas in general, would have to be more dilligent.

Some thoughts about using the post office services as part of a move, based on my two experiences over 25 years apart.

Comparing post office prices with services such as UPS, the post office wins hands down.
If you are limited in what you can send via a moving company, mailing whatever you can allows room for more furniture.

When we moved from Seychelles to California we used the APO that then existed. We mailed approximately 50 boxes and all arrived intact, undamaged and in a timely manner.
Last year, I mailed 88 parcel post packages, 14 media mail, and a few priority boxes, from Colorado to Hawaii. The priority mail arrived quickly, the media mail all arrived intact and in reasonable time, but parcel post was another story.

Of the 88 parcel post packages, most of which were plastic tubs, none arrived in the predicted 10 days, several took over 30 days and one even took 60 days. Several packages arrived damaged, one to the extent that the contents had been repackaged along with someone else’s items. Four never arrived.

Of the four that never arrived, the post office was silent on two and “acknowledged” two others by sending us notices that the lids had been separated from the boxes and asking us for an inventory.
My biggest mistake: in the rush of moving, I had not done an inventory. So four packages are permanently missing. Seems the Post Office just ain't what it used to be.

Recommendations:
- Put your name and destination address inside the boxes, probably just inside below the lid, but also in the bottom.
- Inventory all packages. I ended up doing it after I arrived because it made life easier during the period of living out of boxes.
- Do not use translucent plastic tubs. Many of them broke. I had the best luck with a few items in their original packages, then soft-sided luggage, then opaque plastic tubs.
- Consider paying for tracking. Although the post office is moving toward free tracking, I don’t think they’re there yet.
- Insurance is your call. I’d probably selectively insure a few packages with higher values.
- Research what is allowed in media mail and what isn't. There are some surprises, and postal employees aren't always correct. The cost savings are significant.

My one coup: A medium-sized priority mail flat rate box held 60+ pounds of soft weights, for around 11 bucks.

Doubtful we'll use USPS to move, but we'll take your recommendations into consideration, thanks. If you knew about how USPS works on our end, you'd understand.

We should know in a few weeks if we're coming to HI or not, we are anxious and excited, it depends on what position my partner ends up with.

We've started the process to bring the dogs without having to put them in quarantine. We move with them sometime in August.

The more we read about big island, the more excited we are about coming. We just haven't decided yet on which coast. I think I'd like to be near Kona, but the Hilo area also is very attractive. We just need to be within an hour or so of an international airport. Oh well, we'll be renters so if we make the wrong decision, it's fixable a year later.

:tongue2: Take me with you, please. I've been to Hawaii 7 times, My fav to live would be Kona area right above Costco, 10 minutes from the airport. Still trying to figure a way to swing it. Guess I could always do the homeless thing, maybe stand along the road side with a sign " Homeless dive addict needs fill, anything helps"

I will never tire of the Big Island diving it has it all, just need a good rock crawler Toyota, tail gate BBQ, bed full of full tanks, lobster bag and sling!!

Tom got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dancingsnoopy:

He starts as early after April 20 as he can get himself to Honolulu. He has to work here through April 20, when the refinery closes, or he forfeits his severance.

In the meantime, we found what looks like an awesome house to rent just north of Hilo. If we can have it, I'll be flying out shortly to check it out in person and put a deposit on it.

Dogs get their titer tests on Monday; I can't come with them until early August.

I have four months to get rid of an enormous house worth of stuff.

It's all stuff. Stuff we could easily sell/donate/give away/toss here and just buy more when we get there, IF needed.

SO excited!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom