Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you...in fact, we JUST got done unpacking today's arrivals!!! I think we've received about 2/3 to 3/4 of our things now (I haven't done the inventory yet this week). Despite poo-pooing moving via USPS earlier on, it turned out to be our only option because of the distance of our move. So far so good. In fact, I just unpacked an incredibly delicate blown glass lobster that made it fine. We are shocked and delighted at how little we've lost so far. A few coffee mugs, a platter we never use, a few pieces of Corelle, and our laser printer bit the dust. The printer has already been replaced (on sale at OfficeMax) and we're just thinking about the thousands we saved by not moving via container.

I unpacked my dog's favorite bed today and he hasn't been out of it since I put it down. :)

Thank you...in fact, we JUST got done unpacking today's arrivals!!! I think we've received about 2/3 to 3/4 of our things now (I haven't done the inventory yet this week). Despite poo-pooing moving via USPS earlier on, it turned out to be our only option because of the distance of our move. So far so good. In fact, I just unpacked an incredibly delicate blown glass lobster that made it fine. We are shocked and delighted at how little we've lost so far. A few coffee mugs, a platter we never use, a few pieces of Corelle, and our laser printer bit the dust. The printer has already been replaced (on sale at OfficeMax) and we're just thinking about the thousands we saved by not moving via container.

I unpacked my dog's favorite bed today and he hasn't been out of it since I put it down. :)

That's good news. Let's hope it continues. In my earlier synopsis I failed to mention that a few pieces of my wife's ceramics arrived broken. Clearly you did a better job of packing than I. But breaking Corelle is difficult! - I wonder how they managed.

Knotical, you would be surprised how easy Corelle is to break! I've broken more of that over the years than pretty much anything else. In fact, a plate shattered in our kitchen sink just last night. I like it because it is lightweight and easy to wash. However, as the collection is dwindling, I'm thinking to replace it with something less fragile. Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes sharper shards than broken Corelle.

Still unpacking (will be for a few days) and just found another broken treasure...but it is repairable. A blown glass hermit crab in a pretty shell lost its claws and one leg. Spouse is very handy and I feel confident he can mend the crab.

It was comforting to unwrap the two beautiful Caribbean Queen Conch shells we brought from home; they made it intact. They are now prominently displayed in our Hawai'i living room.

Darrel, thanks, that book and several others were recommended earlier on in this thread, and we ordered and read them months ago. Best wishes with your move to Maui. After a little more than a month in Hilo, we are totally in love with our new home town!

Debby,
The wife and I leave tomorrow moving to Oahu. It's exciting as I start a new job, but somewhat overwhelming trying to get everything setup and arranged from 6,000 miles and 6 hr time difference away. Can't wait to get settled and start diving!

Ricky

WOW tomorrow!!!!! I remember the excitement of the last day, and wondering how on earth we'd get everything done in time to get on the plane!!! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

OMG!!! I have never been sooooo tired in all my life. My last move was 18 years ago and I was a younger man. I have found muscles I never knew I had and they HURT!! LOL We are slowly getting everything setup and established. Hoping that I can dive in a couple of weeks. Right now getting settled and the new job are taking all my time. I have not even unpacked all my dive gear and that is a SIN!! LOL

Debby...Thank you for an entertaining tread...it took me a few minutes (hours-LOL) to read....it answered many questions I've had...split between Maui and Big Island, unlike you...I have spent time on the island prior to thinking of moving. Hat goes off to you for having done the move without having spent anytime there. Wow!

Enjoy your new page on life and keep posting here.

OMG!!! I have never been sooooo tired in all my life. My last move was 18 years ago and I was a younger man. I have found muscles I never knew I had and they HURT!! LOL We are slowly getting everything setup and established. Hoping that I can dive in a couple of weeks. Right now getting settled and the new job are taking all my time. I have not even unpacked all my dive gear and that is a SIN!! LOL
That's a DEADLY sin, lol!!! Welcome to HI. There are lots of great massage therapists here and it seems you need to book an appointment!!!

Debby...Thank you for an entertaining tread...it took me a few minutes (hours-LOL) to read....it answered many questions I've had...split between Maui and Big Island, unlike you...I have spent time on the island prior to thinking of moving. Hat goes off to you for having done the move without having spent anytime there. Wow!

Enjoy your new page on life and keep posting here.
Thanks, I'll do that...I have a beach dive scheduled Sunday morning, looking forward to it! We LOVE LOVE LOVE it here...no regrets!

Back
Top Bottom