Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you...just sent a friend request. :thumb:

Hi Debby, I'm late to the party (as usual). I'd been busy with work the past many weeks, and had not been checking this board. After "friending" you I figured I'd better pop in; I've only skimmed the numerous posts in this thread so I'll read it more carefully in a little bit and see if there is anything I can contribute regarding living/diving on the Hilo side.

In general, the diving on the Kona side is more "reliable". This is because Hilo is on the windward side. Fewer dive days in Hilo, and generally less "viz" than on the Kona side... but GREAT diving on this side when the weather is favorable.

Leleiwi is the best spot in Hilo, about 10 minutes from downtown. It has an extensive reef structure, a huge and healthy turtle population, and a fairly easy entry and exit off of a low lava shelf (like sitting on the edge of a pool and "skooching" in). But surge, reduced "viz" and sometimes a deceptively strong surface current (especially in the winter) can make diving at Leleiwi (and many East Hawaii spots) tricky.... many folks have dove at Leleiwi and had a ho-hum experience because they dove on a murky day, and did not really get to see what is there.

We'll often drive to Kona or Kohala to dive when weather in Hilo is so-so. The Kona side (and Kohala) have some remarkable shore diving sites.

Feel free to post questions in this thread, or send me PM's and I'll try to answer any questions.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much!!! We know the diving is more favorable in Kona, but chose Hilo for the perceived lifestyle. I look forward to diving with you sometime after the first week in August. :thumb:

It's not like it's such a long drive to get to Kona side for diving--heck, I ride just as long in a boat here from Phuket most days--but you do have to plan your time well so that you are not ascending to altitude for the drive back too soon.

Thanks, Quero. We were used to 1-1/2 to 2 hour transports for diving in Florida anyway, driving to Jupiter or the Keys. But the altitude, now that's something else altogether! We figure we'll just have a leisurely lunch after diving and chill out before heading home.

Where would I find out the maximum altitudes on the major road around the island?

Maps often show altitudes, but driving from Hilo, I think the lowest (and probably quickest) route is through Waimea, which IIRC comes in at about 2700 feet max elevation. Even though it's shorter in distance, at least mapwise, you won't want to go over the Saddle Road (IIRC 9000+ feet, plus it's not a good road) or unless you wait a bit longer--or stop at Thal's for dinner, LOL--through Volcano (IIRC ~4000 ft and a pretty slow drive uphill from Kona side). I only visit, though, so all this needs to be confirmed/corrected by an actual local resident.

Study the ascent to altitude tables published by NOAA:
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirDiveTable.pdf
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/ResidNitroTable.pdf

Last edited:
THANK YOU! :thumb:

Quero's memory is quite good. I just round the elevation numbers to make them easier for me to remember, 3,000 feet through Waimea, 4,000 feet through Volcano.

Here is a quick link that shows drive distances and elevations for HWY's 11 and 19 (the "lower" routes around the island:

Free Hawaii Highway Guides

It is typically no problem to do one or two early morning dives (recreational, NDL dives) in Kona or Kohala, then drive back to Hilo in the early evening.

But for sure examine the NOAA tables Quero provided links for, to "test" your planned dives and recommended surface interval before ascending.

And remember that longer shallow dives may place you in a higher letter group than you'd expect they would (relative to deeper dives with shorter bottom times). And don't use/mix PADI No Deco tables with the NOAA Ascent to Altitude table.... you must use all NOAA tables to get the correct letter groups.

Best wishes.

THANK YOU...after living and diving in Flat Land (Ft. Lauderdale/Key Largo) for 30+ years, I never even THOUGHT about altitude. We have li'l mountains here on STX, but the ones we drive over don't affect us; we're at a low altitude and cross very low ones on the way home from diving.

This is lifesaving information. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom