Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit over 2,800ft. going around on the Mamalahoa Hwy. through Waimea. Saddle Road is about 6,800ft. going straight across the island. Saddle is generally faster, and much of it is pretty good road, some of the best on the island. Folks with old info will tell you to avoid Saddle, it used to be truly dangerous, but much of the road has been completely rebuilt to full modern spec. One last section left, they are cutting a new roadbed right now, look to see it open in a couple years. Use it for the trip west before the dive?

We do the lunch after diving routine before returning home. Some great places to get lunch along the coast. That or a cooler of munchies on the beach. Then drive back up the hill to home. Folks in our dive group have places from 1k to 3k altitude, never had a problem.

Revisiting this thread.

My sweetheart has been in HI since April 24 and LOVES it but is exhausted. He's a tugboat captain bringing huge fuel barges from Honolulu into Hilo, Kauai, and Maui and has not had a day off in over a month. He loves his job, and is doing well, but imagine being at work for a month straight...time to sleep, yes, but still, at work!!! He has 23 years of experience on our home island with the same job and so he is really doing very well.

My dogs are on track for the airport release/no quarantine program and I will be moving to Hilo sometime in early August. We are hoping/praying he can have part of July off to come home to help me close up the (rental) house and sell vehicles, furniture, etc. The more we look at our "stuff", the less we are bringing.

Current plan is three suitcases and one (carry-on, small) dog each and a few media mail and a few parcel post and fewer flat rate priority boxes to get to our new home. Yes, I know we said we wouldn't' use USPS but we got a shock of reality when we priced shipping pallets from the Caribbean to B.I. Cheaper to have our stuff "lost" and re-buy it than to ship it via cargo ship...overland...cargo ship.

He's already visited our new furnished rental home when he was docked in Hilo, and he said it's awesome. New landlords made lunch for him and gave him a Ukulele lesson.

Everybody in Hi has been so full of Aloha for him, he loves our new state.

Debby do you have your air tickets yet? I ask because transporting pets in the passenger cabin (you mention carrying on your dogs) is highly restricted on most airlines, and there is generally a limit on the number of animals in each cabin as well as the full weight of the animal + carrier case. I moved two carry-on animals from the US to Europe, and from Europe to Asia, and from one country in Asia to another one in Asia, and each time the rules were different because each time the airlines were different. One time we actually had to change our booking plans because the rule was no more than one animal per cabin per flight, and we had two animals. One time we had to change our booking plans because the animal + carrier weighed more than 6 kg total. Animals generally have to be pre-booked as well; in other words, you can't just show up at the airport with a pet carrier as your carry on....

Hi Quero, thanks! I travel with my pets a lot so I know they have to be pre-booked. Apparently, Alaskan Airlines is the only carrier permitting pets in cabin at this time. We cannot pre-book because we don't know when spouse's employer is going to let him loose. However, we will have at least 30 days notice on this, which should be sufficient time. If we have to fly separate flights...oh well, we're prepared.

According to Alaskan Air's website, there can be a few dogs in cabin and only one on First Class. Spouse is big and may opt for first class. I'm little and cheap...if he goes first class, I'll be in cabin with my doggie who is accustomed to being shoved under an airplane seat for a few hours. :p

Still, excellent advice and I thank you.

---------- Post added ----------

Also, we are aware we need to let State of HI know about our arrival 30 days ahead of time. I sure do wish I knew our arrival date. We will have it soon.

---------- Post added ----------

One more edit, one dog is <8 lbs and the other <14 pounds.

Sadly, we are leaving our gigantic 110-lb Crucian Kissin' Hound behind because he is old and it's too complicated. :( Our neighbor loves him and is adopting him.

Today, we are officially 30 days away from getting on several planes and moving to our new home in Hilo (a few days after that, making two layovers on the way)!!! Tickets bought, dog carry-on reservations made, arranging for utilities.

I thank everyone so much for all of the advice given. I've read and re-read this thread. The advice I did NOT take was the "take a long vacation in HI before moving". There was no need to do that, he's got his job there, we're going regardless, he loves it, he found us a nice rental home, and so for me to go explore would have been very expensive, not to mention having to board the dogs. And not to mention that after being robbed twice here, I did not want to leave this home empty for a period of time. He was able to do the legwork for us and I totally trust his judgment. He feels that HI is just like where we live now, just ten times better. And actually quite a bit less expensive, especially food and electricity. Living expense (house, utilities) is a wash. The only thing more expensive on BI is gasoline, but we'll be going from a 10MPG vehicle to a 20MPG vehicle so we will even have a savings there.

We are so excited!!! Just yesterday, I express mailed my dogs' neighbor island release permit applications; we've hired a vet in Kona to meet the plane to process our precious pups.

I had the good fortune of being laid off from my job here that I was going to quit. I think it may take a little while to find a job in HI, so I'm really glad to get that cushion. I'm also bringing my health insurance with me until I'm in HI long enough to buy BC/BS on my own (six months' residency).

My partner is home from his HI job to sell, pack, and say farewell to his island home of 34 years. He totally fell in love with Hawai'i and can't wait for me to see it. He has a job as a captain where he works 30 and is off 30, and visits the four major islands. We chose Hilo as our initial home base for a wide variety of reasons. During our first year, we can re-assess that decision. Since we're not bringing much, a move will be easy. Of course, if we fall in love with it...that would be great!

I laugh when read that I said we would not be able to use USPS to move. In the end, it was actually our only option. Every other way was just too expensive. We have realized that the best thing to do is to get rid of nearly everything we own and just ship essentials, and then, only essentials that would pay their weight. I.E. a heavy juicer that will cost quite a bit to mail but would cost 8x as much to replace.

We also have the excellent fortune that a friend is letting us use their car on BI until we get settled; they are off island for a couple of years and we may even purchase it from them. Now to sell our big 4x4 truck where we live now...wish us luck. It's definitely an in-demand type of truck, but our island's economy is in the tank. Unfortunately, our other car, my Miata, was t-boned in an accident a month ago, the insurance company gave me some money for her, and I ended up selling her for salvage. :depressed: The accident was a loss for us in many ways. I'm still in a lot of pain but doc says no permanent damage. PT 3x/week helps.

I'll be looking for dive buddies soon!!!!!

my only advice for anyone moving to Hawaii, is to get a place with an extra room, and then frequently invite me to visit :)

Update!! Today is our two week anniversary as Hilo residents. WE LOVE IT!! Last Sunday we made a beach dive with the local dive club. The rocky entry/exit was treacherous, but the dive was very sweet, as was the friendly picnic following.

We're hoping to find some East side beach entries that are not so rocky, as I have knee injuries from a bicycling accident a few years ago. We see an easy-entry beach at Richardson Park, but heard that there are treacherous currents swimming in and out of the cut to get to the good diving.

We have had a lot of expenses from the move and having to buy (used) vehicles, but we hope to buy dive kayaks soon. We figure we can launch from sandy beaches and paddle to diving spots, just like we did in our former homes on St. Croix and SE Florida. Previously he owned a Cobra Fish N Dive andI owned an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler.

So, we are looking for Hilo area dive buddies...welcoming PMs from anyone wanting to join us!

Mahalo!

30 days on 30 days off.... sounds like Tug boat work! I am leaving Tuesday for a scouting trip to Hawaii - only 7 days but talking to many outfits out there to find out the feasibility of networking myself into the industry as a boat captain.. I have several friends on Oahu & Maui so I will get the real deal info! Message me and I'll stay in touch with what I learn!

jp

Hi Capt., thanks, let us know if you turn up any good tugging gigs. He's looking too, he is not returning to the first job as it turned out to be 90+ days on, then threaten to quit if not allowed to come home, then 30 off if you really beg for the 30 off.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Hi Capt. JJP, have you returned from your scouting trip with a job offer yet?

Back
Top Bottom