Advice needed - Napili, Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't mind driving the scenic ride down to Kihei and Wailea we have the whole Makena area that has great shore diving. Lots of caves and lava tubes to explore too. I know these places inside and out and would be happy to show you some of the more interesting spots. PM me for details if you're interested!

ctmax:
No doubt! The drive to B&B just wasn't worth it for me, I would have spent more time on the road than the boat.

You are one slow driver then.

Stay away from Extended Horizons they're staff is inexperienced. They really rush you around from start to finish. Like they want to just get done with you

What kind of diving would yu like to do? Molokini is great and there are tons of awsome shore dives. Most diving is 30'-60' from shore and to 300+ at Molokini. Although you don't have to go deep at Molo to see tons of stuff. This month we have had Mantas and a the holy grail. Yes a Whale shark. Check out www.in2scuba.com and you can see some dive site info there. Happy bubbles!!!

DiveMe:
We are, however, booking 2 Lanai charters with Lahaina Divers since we prefer them to Extended Horizons.

Care to elaborate on this comment? I only ask because I'm looking into booking a dive op out of the east side of Maui and am pretty close to choosing Extended Horizons.

Mel

While I have not dove it yet, Napili Bay does get it's share of divers, and Honokeana cove (just south of Napili Bay) is decent for snorkeling. Just north is Kapalua Bay which is decent diving (and pretty nice for night dives) North of Kapalua is Fleming Beach, then "Slaughterhouse" and Honolua Bay - All are considered "decent" to "good" for diving. Going south a bit from Napili you have the reef in front of Embassy suites, Airport Beach, and Blackrock. A little further and you have Mala warf. None of these are very deep, but they offer a bit of diversity, and are nice spots.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I work nights on the south end of Napili Bay so who knows, but we may run into each other...

melfox26:
Care to elaborate on this comment? I only ask because I'm looking into booking a dive op out of the east side of Maui and am pretty close to choosing Extended Horizons.

Mel

Our reasons for diving with Lahaina Divers vs. Extended Horizons are purely personal, but I'd be happy to list them:

I prefer the bigger boats for the crossing to Lanai due to motion sickness issues I have (I wear a patch anyway).

We've never had a full boat with LD while diving Lanai, so there's more than enough room for everyone. Can't remember a time we've had more than 18 divers to Lanai with them.

We prefer the style of the Newton 46 boat that LD has to the EH boat. More places to relax during the SI and rides to and from the dive sites. We particularly like sitting on the bow to enjoy the sunshine and views on the way back to harbor.

Price is cheaper with LD, $119 vs $139 with EH (and we get an additional 10% off LD's prices)

Dive profiles are the same with both ops, and LD give latitude to those with computers (don't know if EH does the same).

We got certified with LD (years ago) and go to Maui at least once a year so know the DM's really well, and always have a great time diving with them.

LD puts 6-8 divers with a guide, so it's essentially the same as EH's 6 dives/DM

I like to change out of my wet bathing suit after diving, and the handicapped heads on the LD boats offer lots of room to do that (talk about a personal reason!)

The LD boats have mesh nets on the roof which you can put sunglasses, t-shirts, and hats to stay dry, but for easy access.

LD serves sandwiches between dives and warm cookies after the 2nd dive (don't know what EH offers).

Frankly, I could probably think of a few more reasons, but you get the idea from these. Like I said, there's no judgement on quality or any bad experience I've had from EH. We've just always had excellent service and experiences with LD, and for the price difference (and other reasons stated) it simply isn't worth it to us to go with EH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom